All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson

Go down 
+8
MN mudder
Fastman
TheBeal
Budget_gokart
Murraymountain
Rustbucket Garage
MightyRaze
Nevadablue
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Nevadablue
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2021, 7:24 pm

That ‘accessible’ work table with the wheel chair wheels is great! I wheeled the thing outside to cut the brake pedal hole with the plasma cutter. Then after I got it back inside, I realized it would be better with the bottom of the frame facing the welding machines. So, I just turned it around. Fantastic tool.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Fbbb8210

Brake and clutch pedals from the top of the frame. The two red circles are highlighting bolt heads. This part of the floor will be visible, so I filed the hole for the clutch pivot bolt square and used one of the Craftsman carriage bolts there. The other one is a belt guard bolt and it too will get a carriage bolt. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 52033810

There’s the clutch and brake shaft with the parts in place. A collet is holding the brake parts up there until I get it welded. I have the brake rod parts ready to weld up and install too. I should cut and weld in the frame brace at the brake end of things while it is on the side like this too. 

I may weld up a bunch of extra holes once this is all working and before I clean the frame for painting. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 1feecf10

The ancient old brake handle that will be shortened and become the shift lever is clamped in place for layout/mockup. I think a shaft, like the clutch/brake shaft, will go across there and have a lever on it to work the rod that goes back to the shift lever on  the transmission. The lever is also circled. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Cc7ac710

I’ll make a bell crank similar to the one clamped on there in the pic above to connect the rod from the shift lever in front to the lever on the transmission. I think this will work. The transmission is in neutral there. I turned the lever over and rotated it 90 degrees. One click UP on the pic goes to reverse, then 7 down for neutral through 6th.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2021, 11:11 pm

I just read through your thread and this is coming along really nicely! Lots of good work you're doing here keep at er!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2021, 4:48 pm

Thanks! I try to work on the rig some every day. 

Yesterday, I tore down the locked up Kohler engine that was in one of the donor machines. It was interesting to see what was inside and it also added to my spare parts collection. The oil looked like it had never been changed, but I believe the engine could be rebuilt, a surprise there. The rod cap had come off and wedged between the crank and engine block, cracking out a small bit. That could be easily repaired. It appears that one of the rod cap bolts fell out, leaving the other one to go it alone for a short time. It was bent and broken. The other one, undamaged was in the sump. The crank took a little abuse but would polish out. My guess is that it didn’t run long after the bolt fell out. The smeared aluminum on the crank probably came as the rod bolt loosened up. I won’t be rebuilding the engine, I don’t need it or the time it would take to mess with. 

BUT

Today, I cleaned the Kohler sump clean enough to touch. Now I have a crankshaft to use as a jig for making the drive pulley for the Rat. I have been agonizing over how to get a good, straight pulley, and over the alignment of the pulley. This solved the problems. 
And, even though the engine I’m using is a Briggs and the crank came from a Kohler, the outer part of the crank is the same. Also, the oil sump bottom is exactly the same critical dimensions as the Briggs. That made setting up the pulley easy. I bolted the sump to the frame, stuck the crank through it and proceeded to measure and plan the pulley. 

This is the test setup to determine placement of the front pulley. I will be cutting an original pulley tube just below the ‘key’ that is pressed into the tube. Then I’ll turn the big pulley over and weld it to the tube, using the crank as a jig. I’ll be shortening the assembly to be just slightly longer than the crank projection. (Around 3.5” over length after welding for the tube.)

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 32a78010

And here is that nasty oil sump, somewhat cleaned up, performing as a fixture to hold the crankshaft. Pretty cool, IMO. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 01e3ce10

MightyRaze and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2021, 5:05 pm

It has been a while since I posted on this, but I am sloooooly working on it.

The brake and clutch pedals are in place. Both are connected and work. They are free to pivot on the shaft they are mounted on. I’ll probably add grease fittings to each after I am sure it all works.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 35b3ca10

In that picture you can also see the engine drive pulley I made.
Here is the detail of it. It is made from the top half of a standard drive pulley with another small diameter pulley, from another standard pulley welded to it, then the large pulley from the bottom of the other drive pulley is welded to that. Should work fine. It can even be inverted to use the small pulley instead if desired.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 34886e10

The large pulley is welded to the rim of the smaller pulley and to the drive tube. The small pulley is welded rim to rim to the top pulley and also welded to the drive tube.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2021, 5:09 pm

Here is a view of the underside of the chassis as it sits now.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 5514d310

The brake rod runs just inside the right frame rail.

Details of the rear of the brake linkage. I made a clevis and modified the original brake arm.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 60d10d10

I still need to finish the clevis pin. The red line below shows where I believe one could mount a disk brake, on the original disk. Someday...

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Db015710

This is the pedal end of the brake rod, showing the clevis pin through what was a deck lift arm, and the brake adjustment.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 94cedb10

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2021, 5:21 pm

And, I finally figured out the shift linkage. I will be removing the crankshaft/crankcase that held things in place for building the drive pulley. Then, I’ll finish a couple of details under the frame and lay it back flat, right side up. Then, I’ll mount the engine and bring the body in and I can work out the design of the shift linkage. At least I have decided how it will work.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 09c2fc10

I’ll build a short shaft that runs between two supports (red lines) and sticks out the left side. The antique brake handle that will become the shift handle will go on that. It will of course be shortened. A small (straight) rod will run from a lever on the shaft (between the red lines) to the shifter arm. The crooked rod shown there now was just for me to look at for clearance purposes. It WILL work.

I’ll build a ‘shift box’ with notches for the 6 speeds, neutral and reverse after I get the thing installed and know where to put the notches.

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2021, 9:18 pm

Looking good, nice clean work and clever engineering too!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2021, 9:14 pm

Goodness, it has been a week since I posted. Yesterday I spent $100 on paint and bolts! Holy cow!
I did buy a box of 1/4” bolts but the rest was parts for the Rat. Sigh.

She is on her belly again, waiting for the engine. I hope to install the engine tomorrow and fiddle with the steering box and body. I need to modify the body a bit so the steering box is independent of it. Right now I can’t take the body off without removing the steering box/console. There is a little flange on the body that fits under the console so I’ll trim that and fix the issue.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 26ae1110

I cut a reinforcement plate with the plasma cutter. What a great tool it is! Then I welded it in place to reinforce the frame where I cut it for brake access. I also welded the triangular plate that the factory bolted on. You can see the brake rod connection there too. The brake rod is installed now, works great. The clutch is also complete now. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 8ce45d10

The clutch pedal and brake pedal arms stick up now. I have to put the steering box/console in place so I can see how much room I have for the actual brake pedal. There is plenty of room for the clutch pedal. Both should have plenty of adjustment to allow proper pedal position when it is all done. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 9496f510

I installed an anti-rattle spring on the brake pedal too. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 96194510

I am seriously considering welding the rear frame plate to the frame and adding gussets down to the transmission mount plates. There should be no reason to remove the rear plate or transmission mounts. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 9c220210

Last edited by Nevadablue on November 13th 2021, 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2021, 9:25 pm

I think I will cut a large ‘window’ in the rear plate and move the hitch up quite a bit. I also plan to reinforce that window and add a 1” square tube or two as cross members for frame stiffness. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 7b970f10

This is the proposed gear shift idea. I have another ancient brake lever that will be easier to modify and it looks like the lockout for the reverse position should be relatively easy to do. I will build a couple of pillow blocks, like the clutch shaft is mounted on and bolt it to the frame, under that pulley on the jackshaft. The shaft will run from just under the pulley, out the side of the body to clear the seat. That’s why I need to get the body on and off while I build the gear shift mechanisms. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 0cd5f110

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Cebcab10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 2f6f6210

I’ll get a good picture of the shift lever mechanism. It is really neat looking, an old casting, beautiful thing really.
Once the shift mechanism is built, I plan to enclose it in a box on the inside of the body. It will have the 8 positions for 6 forward, neutral and reverse gears, with provision for the lockout to prevent accidental reverse engagement.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2021, 5:12 pm

Beautiful day here today. One more forecast, then colder. I sure wish the old body would let me work more that a couple of hours. But, it is what it is and I’m thankful for that. 

I decided to get some ideas solidified... so...

The engine, body and steering console are bolted in place. All is well with those. The chrome pretties fit nicely on the front end and a hood is taking shape. I did have to cut two notches in the body. One to clear the brake pedal and one to clear the stationary drive belt tension pulley bolt. Once that was done, the body went on nicely. The pedals will be perfect I think. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Ce86f410

The ‘accessible’ work bench on wheels is nice. I rolled the thing outside easily to take the pics. Also I can turn the thing around in the work space to make access to welders and whatnot easier. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 0b5b9210

My wife insisted on a pic with me in it. Watch your eyes! 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 675f8610

So, those FJ Cruiser brush guards are going to be really nice. I plan to trim the heavy mounting plates as shown in red. The hood is an LT1500 hood center section. Bodywork required.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 D436c810

I’ll trim the sides of the hood as shown in red and build a round rod support for it. The nose will need to turn down just a tad, but overall, I think it will be perfect. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 C105da10

There will be a ‘grill’ where the red lines are. I have a section of a heavy screen from an ancient mine. That will be the grill and the Honda H will be mounted in the center of that. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 893a2b10

I cut out the Craftsman logo from the wheelbarrow. It will become the ‘manufacturer’s plate’ and be mounted on the gas filler door. I hope to squeeze the gas tank inside the dash and have a gas door for filling the tank. It will be outside, in the place that the Model T had the filler, in the center of the rig, just behind the engine. I also cut out the opening for the steering wheel support. That will be made from a 1” thick piece of plastic I have, slick stuff. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 A3ff2b10

I think the battery may fit in front of the clutch pedal. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 4bcc7510

And, it appears that the gear shifter lever can be completely inside the body. Some special engineering will be required, but we have some of that available. 
Maybe tomorrow now that I know where it all fits. 
LOTS left to do. There is a lot of stuff that goes into building a rig from scratch. Can’t wait till we can drive it!

Last edited by Nevadablue on November 16th 2021, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

MightyRaze, Brianator and MN mudder like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2021, 8:26 pm

Right on I love seeing this take form!

My All Terrain Tractors:

MightyRaze, Rustbucket Garage and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
MN mudder
MN mudder

2022 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2021, 10:49 am

looking good, I think those old brush guards on their look pretty cool!

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2021, 6:55 pm

I got the shifter linkage designed and started today. The rod from the lever is in place and the lever is about 1/3 done. The welder ran out of wire and I ran out of energy. But, the hard part (design) is done. Should work great, all inside the body. Simple.

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2021, 9:13 pm

Looking mighty nice! A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 2731072446

Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Established Member
Budget_gokart
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2021, 9:45 am

this things gonna be a blast when its done!

Back to top Go down
FlyFrog
FlyFrog

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2021, 1:02 pm

could you install a motorcycle battery inbetween the dash in that little open spot under the steering box?

Back to top Go down
FlyFrog
FlyFrog

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2021, 1:04 pm

you could also use the old hood mount to put a mini model a or t grill in it, heck use it for headlight brackets

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2021, 7:25 pm

I’m leaving the old hood mount horns out there for now. Not enough room for the battery in the console. I have a regular riding mower battery to use, I bought a new one for our mower this year and the old one is still good. I think I have figured out the gas tank and maybe the battery. 
I did manage to get belts today. I was too tired to mess with it when I got home, but maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Nevadablue on December 1st 2021, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2021, 6:55 pm

Both of the belts are installed and the tension springs are in place. It looks like they both will be fine and the clutch looks to be loosening the belt properly. I’ll know for sure after I start the engine, maybe in a few days. I really want to finish the shifter and linkage before I start it. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 E9296110

The rear belt is a B52, I like that. Always did like B52s. 
I’ll trim a small notch in the opening in the body shell for extra shifter clearance and belt tension spring clearance. It works now, but a bit of extra space will be good. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 09659f10

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 028cc910

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 7bf98410

Everything fits nicely. Once it is proven, I’ll be adding grease fittings to several places and lubricating all the pulley bearings and putting loctite on several bolts.

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2021, 8:54 pm

ah yes the B52: making the modded diesel trucks the kids like look environmentally friendly since 1955.
lol!

As always, great work! A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 2731072446

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2021, 7:40 pm

I’ve been really lazy. Today I did get the parts roughed out for the shifter. Now I need to bolt down the seat, since the two bolts on the left seat bracket will also hold the shift mechanism.

My neighbor is cutting the steering wheel on a CNC plasma cutter for me. It will be like this:

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Fb311e10

I intend to wrap the handgrip areas and the gear shift handle with paracord. I’ll make the hand grip areas rounded before wrapping too.

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2021, 8:13 pm

I have that exact wheel, brand new and no use for it anymore (from an abandoned project).

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2021, 12:13 am

I almost bought one but decided to make it. Then my neighbor offered to cut the blank for me.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2021, 11:05 am

I'd be so crazy with a CNC plasma cutter.  They are pretty cool.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Sig214A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Sig314

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2021, 8:21 pm

I am SO slow. But, today there was a bit of progress. I got the seat bolted down and the shift linkage ready to weld up.

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 039e8510

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 764ca210

The stack of parts on the plate by the seat bracket will be welded and bolted together, with the black pivot piece being bolted for maintenance. 

Here are both ends of the thing that will be the actual shift handle. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 17f80210

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 A48e0e10

Note the logo at the red arrow. I had noticed it before, but it turns out this handle is ancient, probably over 100 years old. It is an International Harvester part. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 57394f10

I originally thought it was a brake handle for something, and when found the logo, I thought ‘truck’. Nope. International Harvester was formed in 1907 and I looked at every truck pic I could find. The brake handle was rounded. It isn’t a tractor part, I’m pretty sure of that. So, it must be from some implement. It will make a fine addition to the Rat. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 E04e9510

I plan to cut it as short as possible and the detent part will become the reverse lockout. I may add a way to have detents for each of the forward gears and neutral too. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 8a204e10

You can see the parts stack under the seat. The control rod is leaning on the side of the body just for the photo. It will be shortened more and will have clearance as shown below. 

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 97af2710

MightyRaze, Brianator, Rustbucket Garage and WizardTuner like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2021, 10:17 pm

Hey take your time and enjoy it, no pressure here! Lol  Don't forget the old adage "slow and steady wins the race!" Love the handle it will fit in beautifully!

My All Terrain Tractors:

MightyRaze and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson   A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Rat Rod Wheelbarrow Bucket T Tractor/Kart for my Grandson
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next