All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Empty
PostSubject: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2022, 9:26 pm

So this is E.R.V. as we call him anyway E.R.V. is in the garage right  now waiting for some plow upgrades starting with getting electric over hydraulic cylinders for lift and blade turning. (I hate the winch lift)

The plan is to make a removable quick mount and plow frame.
The stock plow mount has to be bolted and unbolted the plow has quick release pins but the mount is a problem, when the plow is not in use it needs to be removed for safety reasons because it could catch the ground and dig in and cause an endo.YIKES

It will be like a regular plow with the cylinder lifting an arm that dangles a chain to lift the plow.

The plow controls/switches will be mounted right on the P500's paddle shifter levers which will make it very easy to operate the plow.

I also have to change the safety reverse lever to a T-ee handle twist lock cable so I can lockout the reverse safety while plowing because holding the reverse lever and shifting into reverse with the paddle down shifter is a pain but I want to enable the safety reverse when riding so I don't somehow shift into reverse at speed and blow the trans.

After all that I have side mirrors that need to have spacers made on the lathe to fit the roll bar clamp for mounting, the mirrors have two lights on them and the package came with 4 pod lights that will need to be mounted.
I have a strobe light for the top as well which is mainly to be noticed while trail riding but I'll use it when plowing or just to annoy people.

Once all the lights are mounted I need to wire in the switches, lots of switches and a battery isolator.

Can't hardly wait until I get E.R.V. done and out of my way.

Thats the easy project for E.R.V. the big project is..............Hmm maybe that should be a surprise.

E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Erv10

MightyRaze and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2022, 12:19 pm

Just went out to the garage to kick the heat up a bit, it's cold outside at 26F not bitter cold but cold.

Took some pictures of the clutter in my way and also found two suitable materials to make the spacers from, one is a black piece of hard rubber and the other is thick aluminum plate.
I'm going to try the rubber first as it should grip and hold the roll bar better than the aluminum but might be harder to work into shape than the aluminum.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2010

I'll start by using a hole saw a bit larger than needed then once i have two pieces cut I'll true up the outside of each then open up the center to the correct size for the roll bar tube then cut them in half and install onto E.R.V.

The wifes L.U.V. BUG project right in my way(clutter)
It is tiny, it has a strange varidrive system on it but it should look awesome with those tiny lug tires on it.
L-awn U-tility V-ehicle from yard machines with the rear bagger or cool carry all bed.
Sears sold these as well for about a year or so then recalled them because some tiny problem of them catching on fire because of a fuel leak.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2011

some of the other clutter..........it just goes on and on and on and on........
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2012
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2013

Yes under those last two pics is a 5'x10' plasma cutting table that I have been to afraid of firing up for fear of burning the garage down but I'm past that fear now and will burn metal on it ASAP.

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2022, 5:40 pm

The mirrors are installed. WHEW now to get all the other lights installed.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2014

The raw material and mirror bracket before the lathe work.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2015

The first one almost done.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2016

All done and ready to install.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2017

I'll start working on the plow mount and cylinders now and once I get all the new electrical accessories installed I'll try to do something with all the wiring and switches.

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2022, 7:54 pm

Nice job!
Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2022, 4:56 pm

Well I actually got to work on the plow turn cylinder today and it is a pain to get the throw just right.
The cylinder travel is 150mm and finding the right spot that uses the full travel without binding is a challenge, I need some 2"x24"-3/16 flat stock.

I'm going to remove that C channel on top and see if the flat stock will give me enough clearance.

Where it is at right now sort of works except for the left turn which has virtually nothing to hold or push on until it moves a good amount to more of an angle.

There are three points to consider, the plow pivot point, the cylinder body pivot point and the cylinder actuator rod pivot point.

I also have to make sure the cylinders don't smash into anything when the plow get pushed up against the bumper.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2018
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Img_2019

I do love these challenges even if they are a pain in the beginning.

Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2022, 4:33 pm

Spent a few minutes on this today.
E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Plow_l10

I got to say that I don't like it at all, the cylinder works fine albeit a little slow the problem I see is when I push into a snow bank and the plow gets pushed way up and mashes everything. Looks like I'll have to make some frame stops.

So it is polaris plow cylinders on a honda poineer 500 with a cycle country plow, not exactly plug and play.
I'm pretty sure I'll ditch the polaris lift linkage and make my own later on.

VIDEO plow lift cylinder

Still have to add the turning cylinder and do some control wiring.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2022, 7:23 pm

I have to say it's pretty cool what you're doing and I think you're on the right track! Because it's lifted with the winch it's just an inherent part of the desgin that it will have that "float" so frame stoppers as you said are probably you're only option, bump stops for an old car would probably work well and give a little cushion too!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2022, 10:55 pm

Brianator wrote:
I have to say it's pretty cool what you're doing and I think you're on the right track! Because it's lifted with the winch it's just an inherent part of the desgin that it will have that "float" so frame stoppers as you said are probably you're only option, bump stops for an old car would probably work well and give a little cushion too!

Love the bump stop idea.Thanks

Actually the winch was just holding the framing until I got it tack welded and U-bolted, I will park the winch cable when I take it apart to weld in the angle iron across the front where the lifting frame connects and it will only be lifted by the electric over hydraulic cylinder. That cylinder does not have a typical "float" like a real plow as far as I can see (only 2 wires) so I'll just have to run it down a little so the blade still floats.

The fun will come after I have the plow controls mounted to the paddle shifters and the reverse cable lock out cable installed. I want to be able to wear mittens while operating this thing and the combination of paddle shifters and plow controls right together should make it a breeze.

I will be cutting this project short just to get it out of the garage so I can dig into the build off tractor.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2022, 11:19 pm

Np, if you want GOOD ones... download the Energy Suspension catalog and look in the Universal section.

Oh... well where is the float coming from then? I looked at the picture for almost 10 mins and figured the winch was the only spot! Lol.

Well the good news you shouldn't really need it for the rest of the year which gives you a few months to pick away it. Or do like I usually do, hmm and haw and procrastine until it's too late then curse at yourself for doing it to yourself AGAIN! Lol.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2022, 5:40 am

There is the black lift cylinder that moves the black U shaped lifting arm that has a black strap that drops down to the plow frame.
I got it set to have some extra room so when it's lowered it can follow the ground contour, the turn cylinder has been a major pain to get set right so I decided to get the lift done first before I mount the lift cylinder right in the way.

The winch works sort of and works even better with a lifting strap but I want the winch just for winching, just with the little bit of plowing it has done it has wiped out the fairlead rollers.

The pioneer 500 will go back up north soon and then I'll only get to work on it a little here and there, I'll be to busy grinding stumps up north to do much else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS   E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

E.R.V. Earth Rover Vehicle really just a 2017 pioneer 500 - PLOW MODS
Page 1 of 1