All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project T-Rex

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Slipperz

Project T-Rex - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project T-Rex   Project T-Rex - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/12/2023, 22:29

Hallo and sorry for the long time in between updates. (Life got busy)
Today was mostly brainstorming but we did get some done.
We finished the brake lever for now at least it may change
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230717

Trying to make it like a car E-Brake may make it longer in the future.
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230718

Now i have some icing on the cake. Its about the clutch system. I have been thinking about how to do it and i do know what i would do but i think in this build it would be best to run a centrifugal clutch
like this
https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Garage-Centrifugal-Clutch-Pulley/dp/B08CN8MP7C/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=centrifugal+clutch&qid=1689215268&sr=8-15
So what do you guys think of that i dont see any probs with it yet and I think I will order one up soon!

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Slipperz
Slipperz

PostSubject: Re: Project T-Rex   Project T-Rex - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/12/2023, 23:37

Just thought to say we ordered the clutch! I think it will be best for this tractor with such little HP anyways. More Go-kart like aswell which for this build we are kinda going for.
Back to top Go down
Slipperz
Slipperz

PostSubject: Re: Project T-Rex   Project T-Rex - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/30/2023, 22:38

Ok some more work has been done!
The clutch I ordered was the wrong size but we had one the correct size from an old project.
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230734

Also made some front wheel spacers to keep the wheels in place.
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230735

Welded up a front trans mount as the MTD one must have ran off of the Vari-Drive setup if it had one at all.
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230737
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230736
(Yes I know I need to make a spacer instead of all those washers.)
Also welded up a frame seam we decided needed to be welded and bolted. It did help with flex so I will do the other side once I get some practice welding in.
Project T-Rex - Page 2 20230738

Things to come soon are I need to get front wheel bushings for it as these rims are missing them.
I found some tires I think I can run I just need to get some 4 on 4 hubs. I think they are of of a old small utility atv going of their size. As long as they hold air I would like to run them then we can get rid of that noice wood screw keyway...
Need an exhaust think maybe modifying a 212 exhaust for it.
If you guys know of anywhere else, we can beef this MTD frame up that would be great! I know of a few other spots, but you can never be too strong!

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project T-Rex   Project T-Rex - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/31/2023, 14:44

Strong is good yes but if you can incorporate strength while keeping a little bit of flex in the frame it will be more capable on uneven ground and in off camber situations.

As for the frame weld all the corners and anywhere on the frame itself you can but don't weld things like the dash if it's metal because you may need to replace it at some point... check out what I've welded on The Silver Bullet for some ideas.

As for the front wheel bushings... if you have the crappy MTD wheels that have a bore around 7/8" your best best is to find a set with 1-3/8" bore so you can pop bearings in which you can get off Amazon for about $20 for a 10 pack.

These are things I've been doing and it's helped alot.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project T-Rex   Project T-Rex - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project T-Rex
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2