All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions. Empty
PostSubject: Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.   Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions. Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2011, 8:42 am

I have some questions about the transaxle used in the rear steer mowers, i.e. questions about a steering transaxle. I know Dangeroustoys has one and has mentioned man times about making 4wd.

1. Was there only the peerless 930 transaxle that was made with steering knuckles?

2. What are the gear ratios and how many speeds(assuming manual and not hydro) did they have?

I might be able to get a tractor with rear steer and am wondering if it is feasible to put the steering transaxle up front with my peerless 205 rear transaxle in my murray.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.   Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions. Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2011, 6:45 pm

Should be possible - i looked on EBAY for some noma rear steer components ( i have a few transmissions around) , they wernt cheep - i figured with some creative tinkering i think i could build my own set of knuckles from steel - noma ones are cast aluminum , id probably have to cut the axles down a bit, and use a heavy duty ujoint .

This guy did a 6x6 craftsman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJkMSJiE_c&list=FLw49fOIn2sykYQmJxQKVa5A&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Thats what gave me further ideas about doing the agway 4x4. Practically any transmission should be able to be made into a steering unit, with some tinkering/fab work.

Only thing i can see that might be an issue is comming up with a clutch for the front - my nephew gave me his trans from a 80's yazoo RER - i figure using a RER clutch setup should fit in the small space , somehow rig up 2 separate pedals together .

The steering setup in my MTD is a whole lot beefier then in a noma tho - it has cast metal axle tubes that bolt to the transmission ( similar to a vehicle 4x4 front axle) , yet its still a single speed unit with a variable drive pulley.

Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.   Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions. Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2011, 9:18 pm

Oh, I never thought about making a steering axle. I had a guy tell me about his old mower, said it was rear steer. I assume it's the same type. I just wonder if the gear ratios would match, if not it would be a bust.

For a clutch, I thought I'd run a double pulley on the rear transaxle, and run a second belt to the front axle. That way you only need 1 clutch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.   Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions. Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2011, 11:49 pm

I dont think itd really matter about ratios - actually youd probably want the front one to go faster to chew its way thru mud, rocks, hills - that can be changed with pulleys and tire sizes.

Best thing i think would be the ability to put the front trans in neutral, so you could drive easily to a riding place - itd most likely be better for a second clutch , can shift it on the fly if needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.   Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some rear(4 wheel) steer questions.
Page 1 of 1