All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

question about seating and Murray wide bodies

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

question about seating and Murray wide bodies Empty
PostSubject: question about seating and Murray wide bodies   question about seating and Murray wide bodies Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 5:01 am

Though I have been repairing and selling everything from push mowers to ZTRs for a few years, it was not until recently I have actually OWNED and used riding lawn mowers.

My regular mower these past two years has been a Craftsman 42" and one thing I dislike besides the finicky hydro is that huge transmission tunnel.

One thing I have really liked about my well abused wide body Murray that I have been using for pulling and everything else, is it is easy to get on and off of.  Sometimes I literally do that dozens of times a day. Sometimes I am wearing my much heavier and stiffer chainsaw boots and safety chaps and lifting my leg over a hump would get old fast.

I recently bought a bunch of mowers.  Some I thought were Murrays going by the color, I guess with the F-N-R transaxles they are MTD.  Thought I did get one wide body Murray with just the forward reverse pedal on the right side.

I bought a Cub Cadet 2183 and never sat on it until today. Then I sat on the John Deere LX-172 and Murray I bought (with the shifter in between your legs).  They all feel cramped, the steering wheel is between my knees, and on the Murray it is kind of a hassle getting on because my foot barely fits next to the deck lever.

Out of the 5 mowers I am only going to keep 2 at the most, the others are for parts.  The Murray looks nice, but, I dislike the hump.

So, is there any reason for an off road mower, to pick one with a transmission tunnel - hump in the middle?

The John Deere LX-172 is okay to get on, BUT, I am literally hitting my legs on the steering wheel.  I would have to move the seat way back to be comfortable. The CC it looks like I can adapt the seat and move it back 2-3 inches.

The thing with the CC is if that thing fell on me off road, I am not sure I could move the beast off me.  It supposedly weighs 678 pounds, but, it feels more then that.  In comparison, I infrequently pick up the Murray by a corner and scoot it over when needed.

Two things I have noticed, is I need a better seat on any mower so I do not slide off and with the Craftsman, it is a lot harder to lean to one side and jounce on the tire to grab traction when the tire is just spinning, to transfer weight to it.

i know it is subjective, but, which would you keep for an off road mower build and is the Murray special enough not to trash? Or is a a dime a dozen?

question about seating and Murray wide bodies Murray19

question about seating and Murray wide bodies Murray22

question about seating and Murray wide bodies Murray23

The JD looks to be a much heavier duty frame then everything other then the CC.  I had to put a wheel on the front to tow it and I was surprised it was a 3/4" axle instead of the 5/8".  A rear 16" wheel fit right on and I used a 3/4" lock collar to keep it in place since I did not have a E clip that big.

I bought the Murray hoping it had a Peerless 700, looks like it does not.

Do you think the Murray is too nice to trash for parts? Except for a battery it looks complete.

The JD has no hood, but, is complete and probably has a Peerless 801 in it.  Think that would be a good off road platform while I experiment on my build?

It looks like I have (2) F-N-Rs, some kind of small hydro with an external tank, whatever is in the wide body Murray with the forward reverse pedal on the right, plus, the shaft driven hydro in the CC.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: question about seating and Murray wide bodies   question about seating and Murray wide bodies Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 5:20 am

I've never heard anyone in the off road community talk about this.  Although Wheel Horses especially anything before about 1979 has a narrow trans tunnel which makes maintenance and modification a lot easier.

Are you getting off your riding mower frequently to pick up toys, sticks, and trash?  Then I recommend building one of these.  I never get off to pick up debris anymore and you can always pick up one of those extended reach grabbers as well from Harbor Freight.
question about seating and Murray wide bodies Img_7312
question about seating and Murray wide bodies Img_7313

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: question about seating and Murray wide bodies   question about seating and Murray wide bodies Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 9:44 am

Little confused with the title and the pics.  Lots of info there so I am confused maybe?

To me all the tractors that are not FNR or hydro would be good candidates for me.  Even the non-widebody murray you have pictured.  It probably has an MST205 in it.  Good for Doc Locking.  Also, depending on where you live can be all over the place, some places not so much.

question about seating and Murray wide bodies Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
question about seating and Murray wide bodies Sig214question about seating and Murray wide bodies Sig314

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: question about seating and Murray wide bodies   question about seating and Murray wide bodies Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 9:55 am

I'd build the John Deere for sure! With the 14hp Kawasaki (full pressure lube) and Peerless 801 trans sitting on what ought to be a solidly built chassis it's a no brainer, the seat is a minor detail don't get hung up on it

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: question about seating and Murray wide bodies   question about seating and Murray wide bodies Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2023, 8:13 pm

> Are you getting off your riding mower frequently to pick up toys, sticks, and trash?

Yes, trash, toys, and clothes from my neighbors. I will run over sticks, branches, pine cones, and paper, but, I avoid shredding plastic and I do not have the heart to run over their toys and footwear. I bought a trash pick up tool:

40" Grappler "Extended Reach & Pick-Up Tool"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023V15JE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00

BUT, I stopped using it because I could not figure out a good way to store it while riding and stuffing stuff into plastic bags was not working and too awkward while moving. That bucket holder looks like a better idea. I never considered having a 5 gallon bucket on the back because I was thinking hanging by the handle.

I have mostly been using the picker for pine cones and sweet gum balls in my raised bed gardens.

> Lots of info there so I am confused maybe?

No, my post was not concise.

> I'd build the John Deere for sure!

Then I will build the John Deere, maybe keep a Murray wide body for parts and just disassemble the rest for spares.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about seating and Murray wide bodies   question about seating and Murray wide bodies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question about seating and Murray wide bodies
Page 1 of 1