All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

[24] Oh SNAP! 6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Empty
PostSubject: [24] Oh SNAP! 6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4   [24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Icon_minitime1/28/2024, 16:23

#Buildoff2024

I bought a bunch of Snapper RER mowers to restore over the last 18 months.  Number 3 was run over by something at auction, but, it had a motor!  So, I took that motor off and put it on Snapper # 1.  The most complete and with the nicest paint. Not running because the head was broken so it could not be pull started. I have bought a good used head,hoping I can get the motor started.  I have a scrap 10 HP I can rebuild as backup.

Snapper 1028 # 2 I bought just because I liked the way it looked.  It's rear axle is locked solid, I do not know why.  I had to drag it to the current resting spot.  Though under the sheet metal, it is the same RER Snapper as the others.  I do not know what it means by Convertible with the recycle logo. Maybe it was offered with a sun shade? :-D

# 3 I was going to use the rims for my AWS axle on  the 6x6.  If they do not fit, I might use this one for parts on this project.

# 4,# 5,# 6 are donors.

What I want to do is get one working 6x8 out of # 2 by combining it with 2 more drive units.  I want to buy a front engine Snapper riding lawn mower with the cast iron front axle so I can keep it almost all Snapper parts. I do not see the stock RER front axle being a viable axle off road unless you like having the steering wheel ripped out of your hands on a regular basis.  Plus, I need to run a minimum of 16" tires in the front.

It is going to lose the cutting deck and be replaced by a solid floor because all I can see is someone hitting a hard bump, their feet coming off off the pedals, and running themselves over.  After giving themselves a wedgie.

I think it would be cool to be able to stand up while riding a trail, especially uphill, so, a solid deck it is.  Probably will have tilt steering to that end.

If I like it and it comes out okay, I will take Snapper # 1 and convert that too. For a HIS and HER matching set.

I have a scrap 16 HP vertical engine to rebuild for this project.  If  it gets too involved, I will just go buy a new engine.  I want to be riding at least the framework by the end of February even if the other 2 driven axles are only place holders.

I was just going to scrap # 3-# 6 after removing spare parts, after getting two complete RER Snappers going (# 1 and # 2).

Reason for this build, just something cool for the contest that i can start riding right away.  Plus, I am redoing my porch AND I have to get all the leaves and such removed before I start welding and cutting metal outside for my main 6x6 project.

At the moment I have 6 Snapper RER and 6 riding lawn mowers (2 running one under repair), along with a dead lawn aerator.  So, I need to clean up my yard in a hurry.

As to how I am going to drive all the 6 wheels at the same time ... I have no idea until I take # 3 apart and see how the internals are driven.  I know it is a chain drive, I do not know the chain size, sprocket tooth count, etc.

Basic outline:

< 96" long
< 36" wide
  6x8 with three rear driven axles. Engine in the rear behind an improved seat.

Going tracks is within the realm of possibilities.

Unlike most of my other stuff, which is work related, this is just for fun.  I don't care if it can cut grass or anything else.  Though towing a cart might be nice.  Maybe a little utility bed or fold out camper.

I might put working lights on it so it is low speed vehicle ready.

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_14

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_13

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_15

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_16

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_17

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_18

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_20

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_19

When you see the "could of been" RER Snapper you just might say "Oh SNAP!"

[24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Mower_21

reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg

Approved Jan 28th, 2024 by @Brianator
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [24] Oh SNAP! 6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4   [24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Icon_minitime1/28/2024, 16:40

[mod]Welcome to the Build Off! Made your sign ahead of time I see![/mod]

Sounds like an interesting build, I look forward to seeing it come to life!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [24] Oh SNAP! 6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4   [24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Icon_minitime1/28/2024, 20:39

No, I actually made it on the 7th on my computer, but, my HP (swear word) ink jet printer ran out of ink 1/2 way through. So, I decided to buy a new (anything but HP) color laser printer, and it was the 1st thing I printed out over a week ago.

With all the write up, week+ of rain, having to do firewood, and emergency repairs to my DD LT, I did not get out to take the photos until today. I just did not feel like reprinting and wasting toner. I am starting the build tomorrow. I might buy a go-pro so I can video while doing the build, too awkward using my smart phone.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [24] Oh SNAP! 6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4   [24] Oh SNAP!  6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[24] Oh SNAP! 6x8 Snapper RER by JB_4x4
Page 1 of 1