All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Front spindle extensions without welder??

Go down 
+10
1997 Murray
Stretch44875
dked41
arild365
Webmaster
motorhead45102
CMHN
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
indianaboy93
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 10:59 pm

18 going to be 19 in june
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 6:44 am

motorhead45102 wrote:

cool cool Very Happy

oh question. do you guys think these wheels( 18 in tall and 6.5 in wide ) will help with offroad?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:11 am

Bigger wheels in front = more ground clearance /wider stance . I originally had a set of those rounded rib tires on the front of my agway - thing wouldnt turn worth a hoot. I put a set of turf tires on it and turns tons better- theyre not taller, but have more traction in turns.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:15 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Bigger wheels in front = more ground clearance /wider stance . I originally had a set of those rounded rib tires on the front of my agway - thing wouldnt turn worth a hoot. I put a set of turf tires on it and turns tons better- theyre not taller, but have more traction in turns.

yea wider stance i think would help me with some of my stability problems. ground clearance is great too!! Smile
Also i just like how they look. lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 4:41 pm

Yeah it does look pretty cool. On the wheelhorse im using 4 golf kart tires- that should look neat.

I dunno when ill make an off road tractor- maybe ill change my mind about the wizard n use larger wheels- ill see when i get to that point- im not sure how well that 5HP and go kart clutch will work with larger tires.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 4:49 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Yeah it does look pretty cool. On the wheelhorse im using 4 golf kart tires- that should look neat.

I dunno when ill make an off road tractor- maybe ill change my mind about the wizard n use larger wheels- ill see when i get to that point- im not sure how well that 5HP and go kart clutch will work with larger tires.

that would look great with golf kart tires.

i'm hopin to get some work done on my mower this weekend(if it dont rain too much)
we'll see i guess
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:09 pm

Ill set it up for the 4 golf kart rims/tires - eventually i might get different tires for those rims.

Those tires/rims i bot at a flea market- all 4 for $40- wished i bot more cause havent seen the guy since- brand new a tire n rim go for $60 EACH.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:16 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Ill set it up for the 4 golf kart rims/tires - eventually i might get different tires for those rims.

Those tires/rims i bot at a flea market- all 4 for $40- wished i bot more cause havent seen the guy since- brand new a tire n rim go for $60 EACH.

dude that is a steal!
i'm wanting to find some atv or Ag tires for the rear of my mower. but i can hold out on that until i find some for super cheap or free. lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:31 pm

Yeah i had to buy a cart from the guy to haul em back to the truck - couldnt carry em all !

Ive seen some ag tires at TSC- theyre like $45-50 each - hoping to come across a junk tractor with em. I was hoping to find some cheep to put on the agway while i was mudding it up north- didnt tho.

Im not sure what ill do with it if i drag it down here- planned on returning it to mowing status , maybe mod it? ill see . it would look awsome lifted with giant wheels on it - only thing is its a pan chassis - would need reinforcing.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:38 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Yeah i had to buy a cart from the guy to haul em back to the truck - couldnt carry em all !

Ive seen some ag tires at TSC- theyre like $45-50 each - hoping to come across a junk tractor with em. I was hoping to find some cheep to put on the agway while i was mudding it up north- didnt tho.

Im not sure what ill do with it if i drag it down here- planned on returning it to mowing status , maybe mod it? ill see . it would look awsome lifted with giant wheels on it - only thing is its a pan chassis - would need reinforcing.

thats what i'm hoping to do. find a larger tractor with some big wheels and use it for parts.
i've never owned a pan chassis. hope i never do but i'll take anything. lol
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 7:52 am

motorhead45102 wrote:
Me too, cept Im 19 in September. Makes me feel old No lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 8:25 am

MTD and Craftsmans have the best chassis for modding- older murrays and dynamarks have the pan type chassis ( where the footrests are molded to the chassis) they can be used, but need to be reinforced. Over the years ive gotten literally a ton of tractor tires of all sizes - woulda had more that i left up north, but pop gave em away - i had a whole lot more parts back home.

Chunk : Old? Old? October ill be 40 - arrgh! Getting older is like a run away train- before y know it 20 years goes by. part that bothers me is eventually ill havtea give up working on tractors - ill still keep my favorite few tho , no matter what.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 2:30 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
MTD and Craftsmans have the best chassis for modding- older murrays and dynamarks have the pan type chassis ( where the footrests are molded to the chassis) they can be used, but need to be reinforced. Over the years ive gotten literally a ton of tractor tires of all sizes - woulda had more that i left up north, but pop gave em away - i had a whole lot more parts back home.

Chunk : Old? Old? October ill be 40 - arrgh! Getting older is like a run away train- before y know it 20 years goes by. part that bothers me is eventually ill havtea give up working on tractors - ill still keep my favorite few tho , no matter what.

Yup! Pan style chassis' suck! Take it from personal experience. I didnt custom build my own chassis for the hell of it! Shocked I kinda agree, the last 3/4 years seem to have passed really quickly. Im not looking forward to be old. Its more the parts where my body will get to the stage where it wont do what I want it to. By dad's back is very bad. He is limited to what he can do these days, no heavy lifting etc, and hes only 64. Neutral not much hope for me I guess! lol. Ah well, enjoy it while you can. You only live once.

Okay, thats enough life lesson from me! Tractor anyone? cheers
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 5:29 pm

yea, i really like my craftsman mower. only plastic on it is the steering wheel and the grill. everything else is metal. gotta love it
i have a yard machines (i think 1998) and its body is this flimsy metal i can bend with my hand and the dash is plastic along with alot of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 6:12 pm

The MTD's have a chassis most racers use - lots of room for stuff in em. Thats why i want to use the bolens MTD chassis for the base of the wheelhorse mod- only MTD piece im using is the chassis - everything else is either wheelhorse or custom built.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 6:18 pm

Wow, I've been gone way too long! lol.... Looks like you've got it figured out though. The spindles support all the weight, the bolt is really just a retainer. It should work just fine.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 6:24 pm

off topic but were have you been fearless Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 7:12 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
Wow, I've been gone way too long! lol.... Looks like you've got it figured out though. The spindles support all the weight, the bolt is really just a retainer. It should work just fine.

well do you disagree about using JB weld to put on bolt threads to the spindles?
and welcome back (you're murray inspired me to get my mower back out and work on it)
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 3:52 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:

Hell, no need to stop working on em. bounce You'll have grand-kids to do the heavy lifting, you will need to be there to teach them what to do. I'm 32 myself, I know exactly what your talking about the years flying by. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:17 pm

I dont plan to anytime soon - one time a few years ago , i bot some parts from an older man near where our house is now - whole truckload of stuff for $100- including a new motor, multiple decks, wheels- you name it. Guy sed he used to tinker and sell tractors all the time- he just couldnt physically work on em anymore ( couldnt stoop/bend/lift anything) so he was actually happy when a fellow gear head came to get em that could use em- heck he kept offering me more stuff as i was there.

i sorta saw myself being in that position sometime in the future - i dont have any younger reletives nearby ( cept a nephew ) and hes too intersted in girls- ill have to pick up a hoist n chain fall n other stuff . He was intrested for a while tho - wanted to make his 80's yazoo RER into a go kart.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:52 pm

Thats what my little Mustang will be for, my (5/6 yr old I think) niece loves my tractors. It'll be cool if I make on the same size as her. Still gotta get it up here though.
Hell! Im still planning on putting a 230v hoist in my garage, something that is totally moveable in all directions, so I can pick up anything I need to, would make life sooo much easier! Why wait until Im old to do that, it'll save wear and tear on my back too!

I remember that Yazoo mower dangeroustoys! Thats going a while back now
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:15 pm

i think the front spindle thing is going off topic, lol all well i do that A LOT all the time, im only 18 going on 19 so i have some years ahead, but man even though im 18 time is flying a lot faster than it did when i was younger. im almost not going to be in the teen digits in another year.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:19 pm

well im only 14 almost 15 but i work alot and my back hurts after alot of bending down. i cant wait till im 16 then i can drive MYSELF to buy trator supplys only on a bike tho and at 17 i can drive a car/truck (perferably a toyota 4x4 pick up Razz) SOOO OFF TOPIC Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:39 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
i think the front spindle thing is going off topic, lol all well i do that A LOT all the time, im only 18 going on 19 so i have some years ahead, but man even though im 18 time is flying a lot faster than it did when i was younger. im almost not going to be in the teen digits in another year.

hey its all good. i'll even contribute to it sometimes. i try and bring it back on topic but its ok. we can make this into a redneck facebook. lol
but my build may be on hold for a while, because of some stuff i picked up at an auction yesterday.
along with tractors i collect bicycles too. i got a Schwinn girls 26 in. bike (somewhere in the fifties era, just not sure exact year yet) so i'll be messing with that some.
and i bought a Zenith Allegro console stereo(one of the five foot long coffee table lookin ones) i wanted somethin better to play my albums on.

now, whats this i hear about goin off topic?!?! lol!
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 8:01 pm

indianaboy93 wrote:
FearlessFront wrote:

well do you disagree about using JB weld to put on bolt threads to the spindles?
and welcome back (you're murray inspired me to get my mower back out and work on it)

Well, work mostly... Since it's warmed up, I've been busy working long hours. Plus, for the past couple of weeks, I've been shopping around for a new car. I hate dealing with car dealers! Unfourtunetly, I have to sell my truck... Crying or Very sad The reason? we recently had baby #2(oh yeah, I'm almost 27 years old) and with my wife going back to work, and starting school sometime soon, I need a car that seats 4. My truck seats like 2.5 people... lol! I would love to get a 4 door truck, but they're expen$ive! Plus gas prices are going back up, so I guess I'm getting a car.

Don't worry though, even though I'm getting a four door family car, doesn't mean its all over... If you knew my history with cars, you would know whats gonna happen next... And the car I'm looking at buying...... Lets just say Twisted Evil It has some potential...

ANYWAY! enough about me! For your spindles, I wouldn't use jbweld... It's good stuff, but you don't need your wheel falling off in the middle of a mud pit. I like the idea of drilling a hole into the spindle and bolting into it.. You could also file or grind down the hub on the wheel to make it more narrow. But in the long run, I would get a welder and a grinder.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 8:08 pm

well sounds like your having all kinds of fun, i doubt ill get anything done this week cause thursday and friday im off to dayton ohio for a ford/aaa competition and if i get first place im going to be gone in detroit michigan for a week for the national competition. and fearless idk if you checked youtube yet but i left comments wondering where you were and what if you have done to the mower, so i found out youve been really busy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front spindle extensions without welder??
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next