All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Empty
PostSubject: Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 7:02 pm

Here's a quick vid of my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor cranking. Not sure if it's the fuel shutoff solenoid, water in the carb, valves out of adjustment, or what. Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2012, 10:14 am

idk to me it looks like alot of fuel is in the carb when its cranking ,id take drain the tank along with carb bowl ,put fresh gas in is then try it did u check for fire? and again might be me but kinda sounds like it dont have much compression? i seen on youtube a gay had bad compression on his ohv and it ended up being the rocker came off and bent a push rod he replaced that and it was fixed. good luck
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2012, 10:23 am

gearheadmike wrote:
idk to me it looks like alot of fuel is in the carb when its cranking ,id take drain the tank along with carb bowl ,put fresh gas in is then try it did u check for fire? and again might be me but kinda sounds like it dont have much compression? i seen on youtube a gay had bad compression on his ohv and it ended up being the rocker came off and bent a push rod he replaced that and it was fixed. good luck

Thanks, it did backfire up through the carb once. I had also sprayed some WD40 into the carb before I shot that video because I didn't have any spare gas and I wanted to see if it would run off of priming.

I think I'm going to snag a set of feeler gauges today and check the rocker clearance. I'm still holding out hope that the carb is full of water.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2012, 2:23 pm

yea id do the basic stuff first fuel/check spark/and that stuff
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2012, 5:13 pm

Got it to start, thanks to everyone that read. I'll post the details in my build thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: No Start Help   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2012, 5:57 pm

just a little heads up on the wd40, they changed the formula about 10 years ago. I havent had much luck starting one on wd40 since then. If I done have either, I use carb cleaner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor   start - Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problems starting my 17 HP Briggs OHV motor
Page 1 of 1