All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble

Go down 
+5
dangeroustoys56
TheRainbowBoxer
Marines2621
Stretch44875
offroadredneck
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Empty
PostSubject: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 11:44 pm

I have an older Murray lawn tractor, haven't taken the transaxle apart yet but I was wondering if it is possible to lock a horizontal shafted transaxle. Its a 4 speed and cast iron.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 9:10 am

Just about the same as any transaxle. They are more complicated than some to put back together.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 7:06 pm

How would I make the axles strait It bolts together horizontally too.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 9:08 pm

oh heck yeah its possible. I have one sitting outside from my murray (Profile Pic) the bearings went out on the input shaft. Got different plans now since i have 2 mowers. It is possible to do it. I did it to my 4 speed. Its easy alittle hard putting back together. I figured i would know the best about them kinda transaxles. Talk to me.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 12:20 pm

mine is my profile picture so how do you lock. I havent taken it apart yet but us dont see hoe to keep the axles strait because unlike other transaxles it bolts together sideways. So
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 1:37 pm

Easiest way would probably be to make fozzy lockers out of the spider gears, that way the transmission still goes together the same. There have been some threads on those here.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 4:22 pm

On the inside it have a bowel gear. like usual, But it have holes in it. The reason for the holes in it is because it have the two axles in a bolt together locker. I took the transaxle apart. Pulled the bowel gear locker out. Took the bolt out of it and put on side on it with the spider gears alined with it. Tack wielded the spider gears. Took the spider gears out and fully wield them on. Then put it back together and there is your locked transaxle. I might have to make a video about it for you if u want me to.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 9:21 pm

You might because im not sure on how to alline it. I know how to do a normal transaxle, but I wasnt sure on how to do this one. If you could make a vid that would be vary helpfull, but dont worrie about it if you cant.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 11:09 pm

I'll do one tomorrow if it's not to cold
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 8:42 pm

Sorry i havent done nothing. been super busy and no time to get on. Have u figured it out?
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 12:11 am

Havent taken it apart yet, having a mud bog tomarrow and dont want to break any thing.
But if you cant do a vid dont worrie about it I can figure it out
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 10:26 pm

I know the horizontal shaft transmissions in craftsmans are a serious pain to put back together, from what ive herd - its ALL gears inside, not easy to line things up.

Id research and find spec drawings on it before cracking it open, so you know what to expect.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2013, 1:36 am

Ok Man thanks
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2013, 9:48 am

Yup, all gears inside. I really want to take mine apart to lock it but then I look at the diagram and think, Nah, better not.

horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble 305639_175240229271836_124269513_n
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2013, 2:03 pm

Seems to me you could drill a hole in a table, and mount that transmission on it's side. Kinda like how most transmissions have a removable top or bottom lid. That way andd the gear and washers and what not dont just drop out. Keeps em all standing up.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2013, 2:35 pm

Murray modder wrote:
Seems to me you could drill a hole in a table, and mount that transmission on it's side. Kinda like how most transmissions have a removable top or bottom lid. That way andd the gear and washers and what not dont just drop out. Keeps em all standing up.

That, or using a vice to hold the transaxle is the way to go. Just make sure the correct half is facing UP.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2013, 5:58 pm

Thats alot of parts Shocked . Im not sure if im wonna take it apart and mess it up, what do you guys think.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 10:13 pm

I have a video up on my YouTube. Marines2621
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2013, 12:43 pm

Well, I took mine apart yesterday, check my build thread and you'll see what it looks like. Actually a lot less complex then the diagram makes it look. Just make sure you take off the right side of the shell. The side with the input shaft is usually the one you want to take off. http://atltf.forumotion.com/t1315p30-project-big-cat#18793
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2013, 12:00 am

Yeah, I figured that out the hard way. But it's junk transaxle now
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2013, 5:44 pm

Is it a regular 3 speed or 3 hi/low trans- that would make the difference on how much stuff is inside.

Id only take mine apart if something goes wrong with it - id just yank the trans out of my parts GT6000 and run that- both a 3 hi/low trans, altho ive had the trans from my 69 raider 10 apart, also a hi/low - that didnt seem to have hardly any gears in it.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2013, 8:59 pm

Its a four speed
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2013, 10:25 pm

Check out my vid, you will see the inside of one its not to bad as the diagrams show
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2013, 6:31 am

What vid Question
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2013, 10:13 am

offroadredneck wrote:
What vid Question

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble   horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

horizontal shaft transaxle locking trouble
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next