All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

 

 Tubed cage for mower?

Go down 
+10
Stretch44875
Chopperhed
Doc Sprocket
Thunderdivine
motorizedeverything
Doug
Murray modder
dylansrockinrigs
truckin42
redlinemotorsportts
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 4:40 pm

well vive been daydreaming and came up with this: a cage for my mower, so you sit low like just above the rear pulley like a racing mower. a cage follows a tubed buggy like rockbouncers, or any exocage. It would be (really roughly estimated) 30ft of tubing that would weigh like 30 more lb's but the center of gravity would be lower. cage would look plain sick, and you could try harder obstacles without any consequences. This does mean that you need a helmet to wheel, and a seatbelt. I would keep the hood, I think. Just tube around it. I would made a hole new rear box end to the chassis (the frame box that the transaxle is hooked to). I would also get a universal joint, ant tilt the steering. some gas petal and clutch adjustments would have to happen too. ill try to make me sit as far forward (while still being conferrable) so I don't flip over. The center console would be turned into a dash and integrated into the cage. The front part of the cage would be bolted so I could remove it and do mechanical things. I measure roughly how tall it would have to be and I saw about 30-33 from the top of the back tire. One of a kind. Im not saying this will happen anytime soon, but please tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2012-10-04
Points : 5345
Posts : 1070

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 6:00 pm

Yeah thats a good idea.
Iv been wanting to build a roll cage for my trail mower but thats in the future.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
Member
dylansrockinrigs
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2012-02-28
Points : 4880
Posts : 306
Location : Silk Hope N.C.

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 6:32 pm

do it
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:43 pm

dylansrockinrigs wrote:
do it
Don't tempt me!
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
Member
dylansrockinrigs
Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2012-02-28
Points : 4880
Posts : 306
Location : Silk Hope N.C.

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:43 pm

it'd be cool
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2012-10-04
Points : 5345
Posts : 1070

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:46 pm

dylansrockinrigs wrote:
it'd be cool
Ya it would.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:55 pm

truckin42 wrote:
dylansrockinrigs wrote:
it'd be cool
Ya it would.
Hey truckin were you thinkin of a specific design
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2012-10-04
Points : 5345
Posts : 1070

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:58 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
truckin42 wrote:
dylansrockinrigs wrote:
it'd be cool
Ya it would.
Hey truckin were you thinkin of a specific design
Yeah atleast for my mower.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Member
Murray modder
Member


Join date : 2012-11-23
Points : 4643
Posts : 356
Location : Somewher in Va

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 8:10 pm

Why not just run the cage through the sheet metal and bolt it on? Make flanges and stuff. That way, its removable to work on. Seems like this is almost a sand-rail based on a mower frame.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 28
Join date : 2012-12-24
Points : 7621
Posts : 3044
Location : Lebanon County, PA

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 8:20 pm

I had wanted to make a cage for the Rally before it became a rally, kind of like a sandrail, then use some tight-hole netting used for paintball deadboxes and coat it for paintball.

But then it became the rally.


Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_


Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive




Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 8:22 pm

Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2012-10-04
Points : 5345
Posts : 1070

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 8:25 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
Yeah keep the seat from getting wet and muddy.
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
Member
motorizedeverything
Member

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-01-02
Points : 4543
Posts : 356

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 9:06 am

i saw your disinge yesterday on the chat and i think u should make the hood part hinge or come off to work on it. pins like the ones that are used in trailer hitches to hold them to the truck should be strong enough.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 9:31 am

motorizedeverything wrote:
i saw your disinge yesterday on the chat and i think u should make the hood part hinge or come off to work on it. pins like the ones that are used in trailer hitches to hold them to the truck should be strong enough.
I think if I did a tube cage the center console, and hood would go. I'd make sheet metal firewalls and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Member
Murray modder
Member


Join date : 2012-11-23
Points : 4643
Posts : 356
Location : Somewher in Va

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 9:38 am

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting holes in the sheetmetal and running the piping through to the actual frame. Putting any kind of structural piece on sheetmetal will just bend it up.
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
Member
motorizedeverything
Member

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-01-02
Points : 4543
Posts : 356

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 9:54 am

Murray modder wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting holes in the sheetmetal and running the piping through to the actual frame. Putting any kind of structural piece on sheetmetal will just bend it up.

What I mean is so u can work on the engine without tubes in your face
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Member
Murray modder
Member


Join date : 2012-11-23
Points : 4643
Posts : 356
Location : Somewher in Va

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 9:59 am

motorizedeverything wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting holes in the sheetmetal and running the piping through to the actual frame. Putting any kind of structural piece on sheetmetal will just bend it up.

What I mean is so u can work on the engine without tubes in your face
Yeah, that's why youd have to bolt these on.
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
Member
motorizedeverything
Member

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 26
Join date : 2013-01-02
Points : 4543
Posts : 356

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 10:06 am

Murray modder wrote:
motorizedeverything wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting holes in the sheetmetal and running the piping through to the actual frame. Putting any kind of structural piece on sheetmetal will just bend it up.

What I mean is so u can work on the engine without tubes in your face
Yeah, that's why youd have to bolt these on.
No but instead of bolts use hitch pins
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Member
Murray modder
Member


Join date : 2012-11-23
Points : 4643
Posts : 356
Location : Somewher in Va

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 10:20 am

motorizedeverything wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
motorizedeverything wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting holes in the sheetmetal and running the piping through to the actual frame. Putting any kind of structural piece on sheetmetal will just bend it up.

What I mean is so u can work on the engine without tubes in your face
Yeah, that's why youd have to bolt these on.
No but instead of bolts use hitch pins
Thatll work to, Id go for about 3/4 in pipe as well, flatten and bend reas that you can, that way this thing can be taken apart if you do it. I had a cart that had it like that. and if you do add a cage, you NEED a seat belt. Wile theres a space (between the dash and seat) or its easy to bail from these, with a cage, you have the error to have it crush something (I.e, your hand/foot)
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 11:38 am

Murray modder wrote:
motorizedeverything wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
motorizedeverything wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Yea I think you mean like bolt sheet metal to the tubing murry modder? I was thinking doing that with a sorta firewall and like put sheet metal around the seat for mud and water.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting holes in the sheetmetal and running the piping through to the actual frame. Putting any kind of structural piece on sheetmetal will just bend it up.

What I mean is so u can work on the engine without tubes in your face
Yeah, that's why youd have to bolt these on.
No but instead of bolts use hitch pins
Thatll work to, Id go for about 3/4 in pipe as well, flatten and bend reas that you can, that way this thing can be taken apart if you do it. I had a cart that had it like that. and if you do add a cage, you NEED a seat belt. Wile theres a space (between the dash and seat) or its easy to bail from these, with a cage, you have the error to have it crush something (I.e, your hand/foot)

I want the cab part (everything from the back to the console) welded to the frame. Then make the engine cover all one tubed piece like a hood, and have bolt points that I can bolt and unbolt this thing off of the front of the tractors frame.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Join date : 2012-12-21
Points : 6385
Posts : 2101
Location : Norway, Europe

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 2:07 pm

I'm Confused.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:40 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
I'm Confused.
Are you trying to get back at me? haha
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Join date : 2012-12-21
Points : 6385
Posts : 2101
Location : Norway, Europe

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:45 pm

No, I'm just very confused. You start off by wanting to make a chassis of tubing, then everybody just wants a roll gage lol
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:49 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
No, I'm just very confused. You start off by wanting to make a chassis of tubing, then everybody just wants a roll gage lol
I want a tube cage welded to a chassis. hold on incoming pic
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Age : 27
Join date : 2013-03-18
Points : 7325
Posts : 3131
Location : raleigh nc

Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:50 pm

[img]Tubed cage for mower? Image_28[/img]
Cage design. hard to understand yes but I outlined the tubing in pen and penciled in the motor and chassis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Tubed cage for mower? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tubed cage for mower?   Tubed cage for mower? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Tubed cage for mower?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Speed Mower Vs Race Mower?
» exo-cage/hood rack
» How can I put a push mower motor on a Craftsman Riding Mower?
» BUILDING THE MOWER - DAYS OF THUNDER RACE MOWER
» What kind of mower can be used as a racing mower?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: General Tractor Talk + Pictures/ Videos :: General Tractor Talk-
Jump to: