All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

let me introduce myself

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Muddy
Muddy

let me introduce myself Empty
PostSubject: let me introduce myself   let me introduce myself Icon_minitimeMon 06 Dec 2010, 7:19 pm

New to the all terrain lawn tractor forum.

Started to modify my craftsman about a year ago. basic craftsman with a 4 speed rear end. Had to replace 11hp tecumsah out for a 16.5 hp briggs. Modified a set of rear rims to fit the front.

Gotta get a smaller pulley on the rear when I get more time. Anybody got any suggestions on a good size.

[img]let me introduce myself Th_003[/img][img]let me introduce myself Th_005[/img][img]let me introduce myself Th_074[/img]
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: let me introduce myself   let me introduce myself Icon_minitimeMon 06 Dec 2010, 8:22 pm

Before changing any trans pullies- id crack it open, clean out the old grease and put new grease or gear oil in it- i locked up and wrecked my 5 speed doing that.

Changing pullies means getting better brakes - its no good if you cant stop- stockers wont cut it at those speeds. Adding speed also means changing the stock steering- the craftsman drag links are horrible and sloppy over stock speeds. Means a helmit is also manditory.

1:1 ratio is okay - depends if the front pulley is still stock or not- rule of thumb is to use larger front pulley and smaller rear in faster applications - anything smaller then 3" on a trans will slip horribly.

On my agway i tried various larger tires for the front- each seemed to make the tractor sit with a rake backwards- so i used a set of larger rear tires and it made it sit better- since my agway is a 3 speed ( slow as hell) - i did a minor pulley swap- used a 4" up front, and a 6" in the rear - just for a lil more speed over stock ( so it didnt take 3 hours to get where im going) . Also had to add steering stops , since the axle is still at stock hieght. Im eventually going to use a 11 or 14.5HP motor and put a hommade rack on the back - just for basic trail rides, climbing.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: let me introduce myself   let me introduce myself Icon_minitimeTue 07 Dec 2010, 8:40 am

i would go with a 0ne to 0ne ratio
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: let me introduce myself   let me introduce myself Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

let me introduce myself
Page 1 of 1