All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.

Go down 
+5
1997 Murray
Doc Sprocket
Doug
redlinemotorsportts
Murray modder
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Empty
PostSubject: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:01 pm

I just got a Vtwin, the second one I've owned for about 100, plus the entire tractor. Now, I took the engine off the original tractor to but on my mudder, and I started to use the wiring diagram provided by Fearless(_?)Front. I got about halfway done, and I realized I had three extra wires coming from the engine.

Two from the Carburator. The last twin I owned had these, but I never tried to rewire that one.
One green wire Going (or coming) from around the oil filter area.(my last twin did NOT have an oil filter.

I've been told to run the fuel solenoid one to the magneto (?)
but I have absolutely NO idea what the green wire is for, is it possible a ground?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:03 pm

intek or vanny? I can look on my intek if that is what it is. i just cut stafy switches out of my harness which was super easy. It is pretty complicated. the fuel solenoid plunger, you might be able to replace it with a bolt or cut the end of the plunger off and get rid of those wires.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:08 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
intek or vanny? I can look on my intek if that is what it is. i just cut stafy switches out of my harness which was super easy. It is pretty complicated. the fuel solenoid plunger, you might be able to replace it with a bolt or cut the end of the plunger off and get rid of those wires.

Twenty Horsepower Intek. Im trying to run the push button and everything else. I just had those three extra wires that aren't generally on the diagrams. Any videos or anything on how to cut the plunger? Vtwins are really rare under to hundred bucks around here, so messing one up isnt really an option.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:13 pm

Murray modder wrote:

Twenty Horsepower Intek. Im trying to run the push button and everything else. I just had those three extra wires that aren't generally on the diagrams. Any videos or anything on how to cut the plunger? Vtwins are really rare under to hundred bucks around here, so messing one up isnt really an option.
Hmm, i havnt really messed with mine so i cant help much. No videos i know of. Wish i could help more. What are the three wires?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:15 pm

Murray modder wrote:

Hmm, i havnt really messed with mine so i cant help much. No videos i know of. Wish i could help more. What are the three wires?
Two from the Fuel Solenoid, one from I think th Oil filter, it's almost a lime green color. Im thinking it may just be some sort of a ground, but Im not sure.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:31 pm

The carb wires are probably the live and ground for the fuel solenoid.

It wire from the filter area is probably a low oil/ pressure sensor.

Got the numbers off the engine? Or maybe the model of the tractor so we can trace it?

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:34 pm

You don't need avideo. Remove the solenoid from the carb. With wirecutters, grinder, or hacksaw- simply cut the plunger (needle) off flush with the solenoid body. That's it. Takes longer to LOAD a video than to do it...

...What the heck did everybody do before youtube???
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:36 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
You don't need  avideo. Remove the solenoid from the carb. With wirecutters, grinder, or hacksaw- simply cut the plunger (needle) off flush with the solenoid body. That's it. Takes longer to LOAD a video than to do it...

Sat in a corner and cried.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:40 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:
You don't need  avideo. Remove the solenoid from the carb. With wirecutters, grinder, or hacksaw- simply cut the plunger (needle) off flush with the solenoid body. That's it. Takes longer to LOAD a video than to do it...

Doing that now.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:47 pm

that, and gussed
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:48 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:

Doing that now.

When in doubt, cry it out.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:55 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
The carb wires are probably the live and ground for the fuel solenoid.

It wire from the filter area is probably a low oil/ pressure sensor.

Got the numbers off the engine? Or maybe the model of the tractor so we can trace it?
407777 I want to say, Ill run out now to double check.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 8:59 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:

I was more or less asking WHERE to cut it actually. Inside the bowl, outside?

(Attacched it the configuration my engine uses, ignore the blue square)

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. _botto10
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:00 pm

Cut the plunger flush with the solenoid body.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:07 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Cut the plunger flush with the solenoid body.
Sorry, your talking to somebody who has absolutely no clue what any of it is. When people say to put a bolt in it, I assume it means to cut it directly under the carburetor bowl.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:12 pm

Okay, forget the bolt.

Disconnect the wires from the solenoid (IF they are actually connected to something). Unscrew the solenoid from the carb body. You will see a couple flats on the solenoid that you can get a wrench onto. Unscrew and remove it.

You will find yourself looking at a needle sticking out of the tip of the unit. Cut that tip off. Wirecutters work fine. Use whatever you have. Cut it as far back as you can, but if you don't get it all, don't panic. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. _carb_solenoid
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:16 pm

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. 70294410

Sorry Im Taking so long and being all idiotic, but I dont want to get in there and cut something I shouldnt. Your saying to cut off the little gold piece off the top of this, right?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:20 pm

Trim it right back to the threaded portion of the body. Take the tip of the needle off. All of it. Make it go away. Wink
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:22 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Trim it right back to the threaded portion of the body. Take the tip of the needle off. All of it. Make it go away. Wink
You have no idea how much that helps me. I really dont feel like trying to piece together a new carburetor cause I screw up. Got any words of wisdom on my mysterious green wire?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:25 pm

I could probably use a pic. Seems odd the colour and location. I'll see what I can find out.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:31 pm

Why not just unscrew it and replace it with a bolt with the same length as the threaded part? A solenoid is 100$ new. And you could probably sell it used for 50$ on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:35 pm

It is an option, TD- but it can be a daunting task trying to find one the correct size and thread pitch. Then, if it's not the right length (and it VERY likely is too long) you have to shorten it. AND you have to hope you get a good seal with it, so it doesn't drool fuel all over the place.

On the other hand, it literally takes SECONDS to remove, clip, and reinstall the existing solenoid. Maybe because I've defeated a dozen or so bad ones, and it sure is cheaper and easier than buying a replacement.

These damn things don't do anything useful anyways. Just justifies some EPA treehugger's paycheque.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:38 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
It is an option, TD- but it can be a daunting task trying to find one the correct size and thread pitch. Then, if it's not the right length (and it VERY likely is too long) you have to shorten it. AND you have to hope you get a good seal with it, so it doesn't drool fuel all over the place.

On the other hand, it literally takes SECONDS to remove, clip, and reinstall the existing solenoid. Maybe because I've defeated a dozen or so bad ones, and it sure is cheaper and easier than buying a replacement.

These damn things don't do anything useful anyways. Just justifies some EPA treehugger's paycheque.

lol yeah I just wondered why people cut them since they're damn pricey, little buggers.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:40 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
I could probably use a pic. Seems odd the colour and location. I'll see what I can find out.
Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. 18002210
Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. 55106910

I know that Its the oil sensor, cause in taking the picture, I actually uncovered all the oil buildup on it. But do I simply cut the wire, and call it done, or do I have to do some special wiring trick for it?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:41 pm

I kept mine. Swag.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next