All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Getting rid of a carb solenoid.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nathan43
Nathan43

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Empty
PostSubject: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2014, 9:00 pm

Today i found out you can take the solenoid out of your carb and just put a regular non solenoid carb's bolt in its place. It keeps you from having to cut a perfectly good solenoid and from running more wires. It also gets rid of it sticking really far out from the carb. Just make sure you have a way to shut your gas off.Didn't know if anyone knew that or not but I sure found it helpful today.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2014, 9:08 pm

IF you happen to have the correct bolt, then yes. A lot of us just clip the tip off and snip the wires. A "perfectly good" solenoid is one that's been disabled. They do NOTHING except justify some EPA treehugger's paycheck. One should install a fuel shutoff valve whether you're using a solenoid or not.
Back to top Go down
Nathan43
Nathan43

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2014, 9:17 pm

Well I meant that i did do it with the bolt from another carb it eliminates the solenoid altogether.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2014, 9:53 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
IF you happen to have the correct bolt, then yes. A lot of us just clip the tip off and snip the wires. A "perfectly good" solenoid is one that's been disabled. They do NOTHING except justify some EPA treehugger's paycheck. One should install a fuel shutoff valve whether you're using a solenoid or not.

what doc here is getting at, is you cant just stab any bolt in there. gotta have the right specs for said carb
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2014, 9:44 am

Yeah- it's not exactly a common length, nor the common UNC thread pitch. If you've got a bolt to spare that fits, my all means do it. For as many spare parts as I have, I don't usually have one- so it's just easier to modify the existing.

As for it sticking out "really far" from the carb- I would suggest that it's not a real big deal. Out of an entire engine, this is 1 1/4" inches or so...
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2014, 1:30 pm

I get the original posters point, we use what we've got. If you HAVE an old carb lying around with the right bolt, SURE it makes sense not to destroy the rather expensive POS... you may be able to sell it.

Most of us don't, so disabling it is a better option. One COULD order the bolt, pay shipping, wait 4 to 6 weeks for delivery... not worth the possible gain from the sale in most cases. thank you for sharing this tidbit of info, someone out there may not have known that there was a part out there to specifically replace the obnoxious solenoid thingy.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2014, 11:46 pm

I believe the bolt for a briggs and stratton with a walbro carb, is...

5/16 inch, by 24 thread pitch, by a total thread length of about 1/4 inch.
Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Carb_b10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of a carb solenoid.   Getting rid of a carb solenoid. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of a carb solenoid.
Page 1 of 1