All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Empty
PostSubject: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 5:44 pm

Thanks to inspiration in the form of a recent post on DIYGK, I decided to drag this out of mothballs, and finish it. I started it about 3 years ago for a go kart project- now it's going on MII.

Heineken Mini Keg, for thirsty consumers. The can is thin stainless steel and features a small can of co2 inside. I lost my original pics, I'll include a stock photo at the bottom.

I began by removing the plastic tap handle and spout, and bleeding off the remaining co2. I drilled a small hole in the top, then used aviation snips to cut a 2" hole to correspond with the marine style filler I got at Princess Auto.

Inside was a small co2 cartridge, in a plastic bracket. The cartridge came out easily with some screwdriver work, but the bracket was glued to the bottom of the tank. Suspecting hot glue, I flipped the can upside down, and applied a little heat with my propane plumbing torch... *PLOP*- dropped right out.

Now- again, the steel is pretty thin- I drilled holes for the fuel outlet and vent, and ran a tap into them for the sole purpose of giving the brass fittings a "bite". I mixed up some 2-part epoxy, applied it to the fittings liberally (NOT a political remark) and wrenched the fittings in snugly.

FWIW, I used this fitting method on a small s/s water bottle that I use as a test tank, running engines on the bench. 5 years later, the fitting shws no sign of loosening or leaking.

I piloted screw holes, and applied RTV silicone to the back of the filler. After a few minutes to skin up, I screwed it on.

Due to the tanks potentially fragile nature, I will be modifying a commercial fire extinguisher bracket for mounting, and mounting it in a manner and location so as to protect it from impacts.

A note on the vent fitting... You COULD just drill a small hole in the top of the tank or the cap somewhere, but I'm a big believer in remote vents. Cuts down on fuel spills when thrashing around. So, with the vent fitting there, I will run a length of 1/4" fuel hose to a suitable location, and probably top it with a fuel filter to keep the crap out.

Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Heineken-5l-draughtkeg
Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank 20140315
Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank 20140311
Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank 20140312
Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank 20140313
Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank 20140314
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 6:24 pm

Cool idea! It looks like a boat filler cap, or at least close to what i have on my speed boat.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 6:35 pm

I've used budwieser pony kegs for fuel tanks on VW trikes... Kegs are ALWAYS cool. I'd like to see one of those tunneled for a Bike tank... That would be really neat too.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 6:41 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
looks like a boat filler cap,

Doc Sprocket wrote:
the marine style filler I got at Princess Auto.

Son, you've GOT to learn to read..... LMAO
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 6:50 pm

Now see, I wasn't gonna say anything (snork) Ya big meanie head!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 9:20 pm

But this is 'murrrrrrrrrriica! I like looking at pictures anyways
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2014, 8:55 am

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
But this is 'murrrrrrrrrriica! I like looking at pictures anyways
America.. goofball...

looks great doc, love the idea of it. probably could fool people on the trails too- "Hey man! can i bum a drink?" -"SURE! if you like to drink gasoline!!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank   Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heineken Mini Keg Fuel Tank
Page 1 of 1