All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

The Death Kart.

Go down 
+8
Stretch44875
richie thomas
redlinemotorsportts
Craftsman1998
Thunderdivine
Doug
dwcopple
WellThatsSurprising
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

The Death Kart. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 5:40 am

Darn you were being serious  bounce Awesome lol
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 8:20 am

how could this ever go terribly wrong..? lol, looks.... interesting, fun, nevertheless. i'd romp it
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 7:33 pm

Fantastic. I'm digging this. I saw your FB post about hacking a car in half, and was dying to know what was up...
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2014, 12:04 am

willis923 wrote:
how could this ever go terribly wrong..? lol, looks.... interesting, fun, nevertheless. i'd romp it

Trust me, I ask myself that every time I come into the garage and see this thing.

Other news, took the intake manifold to give it a good soak in cleaner so a couple pictures.

The Death Kart. - Page 2 Wp_20119

The Death Kart. - Page 2 Wp_20120
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2014, 7:59 pm

The Death Kart. - Page 2 Wp_20123

Alright, I'm bored and just removed most of that terrifying excuse for a roll bar so it's time for a lesson. Never, EVER use square stock anywhere in a cage, unless you know exactly where stress will be coming from and adjust it properly. In this case, it would be impossible to predict the point where it would roll until actually rolling it and even then there's variables. Round stock is the only stuff you should be using. Not just any round stock though, purpose-built rollbar tubing is a whole lot stronger than any muffler pipe, water pipe, or electrical conduit, and you won't find it at the local hardware store. This is special-order stuff. Your main choices are seamless, drawn-over-mandrel (DOM) mild steel rollbar tubing or there's a cheaper but much less robust alternative which is seamed (commonly called ERW) mild steel rollbar tubing. As long as you bend with the seam, go a little bit thicker and have plenty of gussets you'll be fine with ERW. DOM is mostly used when keeping weight down is more important but this Kart is so light that it's not even worth it. Plus it's easier to get good welds with a thicker tube. As for width of the tubing your two most common sizes are 1.50" and 1.75" but again, if the cage is properly triangulated and gusseted you'll be safe.

On to mounting points, if you weld your tubing right to the floor it will just punch straight through the unibody in the event of a crash/roll. That's why it's very important to have a solid plate at least an 1/8" thick and as large/flat as possible welded to the body, then you weld your tubing to that. Tubing near these plates should be kept as straight as possible—any bends near the attachment points can significantly compromise strength.

Now for the fun part, actually bending your cage. All bends should be smooth and consistent and show zero abnormal crimping, crushing, stretching, narrowing, or other jenk. A single, continuous piece of tube, properly bended as needed, should be used for all major cage elements. This means if your main hoop comes up a few inches short, just build a new one that actually fits--don't try to extend it with short bits of tube grafted onto the ends. Spliced tubes, hoops made from multiple intersecting sections, and damaged tubes scavenged from other cages are always a no-no. The typical Harbor Freight bottle-jack bender isn't nearly strong enough to properly bend rollbar tube. A good, professional-grade hydraulic bender using the correct dies and reasonable radii is the least that you'll get away with so I hope you've got a buddy who's a steelworker. If you've got access to a professional mandrel bender, so much the better. As far a cage design goes, heres a really good link. I know there's a lot I'm leaving out but if anybody takes interest I'm open to questions.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2014, 11:11 pm

"Hey man, I've got to make a run to the store, be ba...what are you doing?  Dude, what did you do to my car?! I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THAT!"

The Death Kart. - Page 2 Wp_20118[/quote]

Nice roll cage tips though.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 6:47 am

This thing is going to the CarCraft Summer Nationals! Hopefully... I finally got a tracking number for the ECU so a video of the thing actually running is soon to come. Also, I've decided not to use the 3000GT suspension. The rear is already stiff enough to make the ride quality terrible so adding the suspension off an even heavier sports car is not in my best interest. Instead I'm just going to cut up the front half of an UTV and try to adapt the original Kia rear shocks to adjustables. 22 days to get it running and driving. Tic Toc.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 10:11 pm

Never mind, picture didn't work...

Last edited by mr.modified on June 25th 2014, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture fail...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   The Death Kart. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Death Kart.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2