All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Mud mower planing... Need your input.

Go down 
+7
Moose
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
kawasaki220
CornShuck4CE
richie thomas
redlinemotorsportts
DirtyD
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DirtyD
Vendor
DirtyD
Vendor

Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Empty
PostSubject: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 1:12 am

I am planing my muddin mower build... My question to y'all is.. How would you build your idea mud mower? I have idea's but i always like hearing what other ppls idea are too...
Back to top Go down
http://woodlinepowesports.com
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 2:26 am

Well, it really comes down to where you are driving. Of course mine is small and would get stuck in any big mud hole, but where I drive there's only rivers, no mud. So I don't need the huge tires other people have as a example.

Basically this is what you want:
Protection
Performance
Durability
Function

I think you got the general idea from being on the forum.

Either you can get a GT mower, or a regular mower, like a 90's craftsman that arnt as strong but lighter, and more parts available.

Speeding it up, bumpers, stronger axles, front and rear tires, steering upgrades, and gas petal are all things I highly suggest. The rest like exhaust, trailer hitches, lights, and winches are just all personal preferences.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 6:08 am

im with red on whats pretty much needed, yet around me there are lots of mud holes that dont look deep, but you will sink in, so i like bigger tires, hence why i run 27x12x12's, id also suggest posilocking the transaxle,....skidplates would come in handy cause you never know whats under the water/mud.
steering upgrade is a must have, and better brakes, and if your like me, a winch, cause i mostly romp alone and need it if i get stuck,
my ideal mower is pretty much the idea's we've been shooting back and forth on facebook, big, 4x4, badass
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 6:36 am

Thay bout sumed it up but. Where i live its rocks and mountins. Strong chassie and good soft tires are a must. Thats why i run suspintion. Skid plate to keep sticks and stuff from getting in the belt. And as richie said riding alone. You need another way to start it. Pull start  simple and pays for itself when your starter quits. And when and if you do a pulleyswap take your time and make some good belt keepers.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 8:21 am

Well I would tell u something but they have basacly told it all
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 8:23 am

Rally Mower.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

Mowron style end of discussion lol I have seen those tractors do things tractors shouldnt or wouldnt doand I have only been around them a couple times!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

Moose wrote:
Mowron style end of discussion lol I have seen those tractors do things tractors shouldnt or wouldnt doand I have only been around them a couple times!

That is what I meant..  Very Happy 

Check these build threads out:
Chaos, Banshee, and Ghost Rider.
The Silver Bullet
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 1:45 pm

another thing is a small storage space on it for tools and such, i use a giant ammo box, but somepeople like rear racks, and lights are also a good thing to have
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 2:46 pm

One thing I miss that richie picked up on. Posi locking. Doug did a good writeup on all the ways of posi locking mower axles. If you ride in difficult terrain locking the axle is the only way to go.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm

just realized this was supposed to be where we told what our dream build would be if we had all the supplies needed and the tools to do it,
my dream build would be a 80's model craftsman squarebody on a custom frame, with modified honda shaft driven axles with front and rear steering, running abig 31 hp kohler v-twin horizontal engine to a modified tranny out of a small yota truck, and some hi/lo transfer case. for tires id want some super grip mud bitch. posi lock front and rear, a big winch up front, and a alternator to run the electronics, and while im at it, one of those powersteering kits for atv's
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 8:26 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Moose wrote:

That is what I meant..  Very Happy 

Check these build threads out:
Chaos, Banshee, and Ghost Rider.
The Silver Bullet

Ours aren't really what I would call a mud mower. We do get in the mud some, and they do pretty good, but any kind of a deep hole, and they are done. We run a smaller tire in the rear than most mud machines, to keep our tractors lower to the ground, for handling. So we don't have massive ground clearance. They are more trail, hill, race machines.

Most mud mowers are based on old sears, cub's, wheelhorse's, etc. Cast iron, 1 in axle rears, horizontal engines, and tall ATV tires. These do well for deeper mud, but are very tippy at any kind of speed.

Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014, 10:40 pm

as you can tell, i like the real heavy duty GT's. older bolens tractors are a great base, and dont need much to make a great offroader- look at mine, slap rubber on it and it goes anywhere. older craftsmans are great too. like the new one i just picked up. Opposed, Peerless 633. thing is going to be a tank.

power-weight ratio is a must
speed
tires
frame

look for plenty of power, 15+ ponies
you sell tires, so youre set in that department
a mild pullyswap, probably about 1:1 would be good
build a heavy set of bumpers, and a small toolbox.
stay away from stamped front axles
stay away from MTD in general
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2014, 10:02 am

Install large wheels / tires front and back. Don't go for the skinny little snowblower tires in front. They will go under and will rob a lot of HP to get out of the mud. Lots of guys take the rears and put them on the front, then go ATV tires in back.

For strictly mud, you will need some HP, but the oppy's and V's do suck fuel at a high rate for how far they will get you down the trail. I'm running a mildly modded 12HP flatty and I love it! Plenty of power and I could go all afternoon on a tank of fuel. So if you want to go for long trail runs, consider a smaller single and gear it correctly.

Also, pay attention to your exhaust placement. It sux when you put a ton of time into building a wicked nice exhaust and then go out and smash it on your first run. Stacks are cool, but you can get the exhaust in your face which becomes a bother on long trail runs. But for short mud runs, you might want to go for a stack.

Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
untrusty huskee
untrusty huskee

2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014, 2:40 pm

well you got to keep in mind that, your mower is your ideas. but i think your lawn mower reflects on who you are like on how you build it, everybody might have the same ideas but its up to you to figger out how your going to make those ideas work in your own way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mud mower planing... Need your input.    Mud mower planing... Need your input.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mud mower planing... Need your input.
Page 1 of 1