All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

this doesnt look good

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jordan
Jordan

this doesnt look good Empty
PostSubject: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 7:42 pm

i was muddin on my tractor with the bear claws on it and i got it stuck, when i finally pushed it out the tranny was makin weird noises so i shut er down and i got my other one to pull it back so i can save the tranny if i could, dropped and split the tranny i found chunks of metal that broke off from when i welded the diff up a year and a half ago so i thought no big deal cleaned it out new grease and threw it back in. i got 100 yards and it stopped moving again and made a REALLY loud grinding (loud enough to make my neighbor com out of his house to see what i broke) and i thought i stripped a gear so i went to get the other tractor agian and i saw the tire sittin weird
this doesnt look good P3290949
so i was like shit, looked closer and saw some grease
this doesnt look good P3290946
this doesnt look good P3290947
after looking under it and seeing that im pretty pissed off but happy at the same time, thats what i thought happened when i got it out of the mud but i knew it was coming because it was making weird noises when i was pulling with it for months now and im glad its finally done lol so i can put my old four wheeler axle in it with a 3 speed tranny, it will be A LOT stronger
Back to top Go down
Murrayman
Murrayman

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 8:35 pm

Thats like the exact same thing that happened to me when i welded it the first time when i welded the spider gears to the axle gears. Is that how you welded yours cuz after I rebuilt the tranny with a diff. case i asked fearless front how he did his and he told me to weld the spider gears to the pin they are on and that seem to work great.

this doesnt look good Img00218
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 8:42 pm

i used our arc welder and i welded the spider gears to the side gears and then in the teeth of the gears and the sides of the spider gears to the side of the ring gear, when i split it ill try to get a picture of it, lots of welding lol i just did the spider gears to the side gears the first time and it broke in under a half hour
AND when i had it apart today i found the short axle had broken the welds, it was still locked but not one big piece anymore so i think thats where the chunks came from
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 8:00 am

this is one reason i dont want to weld my diff because i have a limited supply of trannies and cash for the moment
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 3:04 pm

Just a wee bit of breakage..... my craftsman didnt even give that noise- just plain locked both rear tires when the pinion gears shattered.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 7:47 pm

swapped trannys today, i didnt realize it was THAT bad of a break every bolt except the 2 along the front were ripped out and the bottom of the case was cracked on both sides all the way to the front like in the other picture
this doesnt look good P3300949
this doesnt look good P3300948
this doesnt look good P3300950
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 8:35 am

welcome to the club haha. not a very good club but we have had our share of over 10 tranny breaks like that. on unlocked trannys just our luck i guess
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: this doesnt look good   this doesnt look good Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

this doesnt look good
Page 1 of 1