All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Snorkle and exhaust ideas?

Go down 
+4
SoundBoothGuy
TedTheDestroyer
mr.modified
Damurrski
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Damurrski
Damurrski

Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2015, 2:42 am

Need a cheap idea for a snorkel that's efficient and seals real good to the carb. Also if I do an exhaust out the rear will deep mud restrict flow causing power loss,compared to a stack. Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2015, 1:34 pm

A lot of people use pvc for snorkel tubing. Plastic vacuum cleaner hose might work pretty nice if you want to snake around stuff on the way to your air filter/intake. Sealing to the carb will depend on what kind of carb you have. Might have to weld up a flange or some sort of adapter to bolt on. For sealing stuff up in your snorkel system, you could just glue it up with some permatex. Pvc can just be glued with pvc cement of course. I don't think the exhaust is a serious issue unless your trying to run the entire machine submerged. They run with the exhaust under water without bothering anything.
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2015, 2:36 pm

Building a submowrine?
Back to top Go down
SoundBoothGuy
SoundBoothGuy

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2022, 10:12 pm

I do have a question about building a submowrine (nice wording @TedTheDesrtoyer). If I run a mower with the motor fully submerged, what sort of prep needs to be done? Would I need to reroute the exhaust? What would be the best way to seal everything up and build a snorkle? What sort of work needs to be done to the electrics and vent lines? I am very new to this hobby so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2022, 11:03 pm

SoundBoothGuy wrote:
I do have a question about building a submowrine (nice wording @TedTheDesrtoyer). If I run a mower with the motor fully submerged, what sort of prep needs to be done? Would I need to reroute the exhaust? What would be the best way to seal everything up and build a snorkle? What sort of work needs to be done to the electrics and vent lines? I am very new to this hobby so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Hey man welcome to the forum but you should have a look at the dates of threads before posting in them,  this has been a dead thread for almost 7 years and @TedTheDestroyer hasn't logged in in almost 4 years so ya....

It would be best to start your own thread in the appropriate section and add a link to this thread as reference, we'd be glad to walk you though it if you're not sure how. Our super duper administrator @MightyRaze has super duper powers and knowledge and is the best guy to set you up!

It's not a requirement or anything but we do appreciate when new members officially introduce themselves in the new member forum (which can be found in the "Home" tab) so we can not only learn a little about you but also so we can all give you a proper welcome!

Now to try and answer your questions and keep in mind I've never done a build like it but.... your exhaust itself should be fine but I'd want something better than stock muffler (think tubular) to make sure there's no possible "airspace" for water to accumulate if that makes sense. As long as the motor is running strong you should be good to go THAT way.

As for the intake snorkel, whatever you can get your hands on that is or can be made watertight will work, I'd bet radiator hose would work really well. One of the hardest parts will be where your snorkel meets the carb and your vent tube, especially if you're considering full immersion you'll need your vent tube to be routed into your intake tube and sealed really well there as well as at the motor. High quality window/door sealant should work pretty well I'd imagine.

As for electronics... use dielectric grease on every single connection and try to relocate as much as you can to can into a waterproof box I guess.

You can water resist the motors pretty easily but waterproofing one isn't going to be an easy feat, or cheap. Maybe it's best to start small and work your way up or just install giant ballon tires and drive across the water! Lol.

I hope this helps a little!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Last edited by Brianator on May 31st 2022, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2022, 11:37 pm

@SoundBoothGuy Welcome, depending on how deep you want to go and for how long.  Build you a snorkle that will keep your intake dry, but don't expect to stay long because water will leak into your carb.  Some have leaks through the butterfly hinges ect.  You can always RTV around stuff.  If you are afraid of entry through your exhaust, then build you a stack higher than the water depth you want.  As long as the engine is running it should be ok for it to submerge a bit due to exhaust flow.  If a stack, then watch out for trees.

Feal free to start your build in one of the sections 
Tractor Project Builds (atltf.com)

Add some pictures as well so we can better help out!
Need help adding a picture? Adding Pictures

Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Sig214Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Sig314

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2022, 6:35 am

Well if you'd ask me I'd say raise the engine a couple of inches first, if youre taking the PTO off anyway.
Then my next focus would be to lower the gear an inch and the front spindles aswell.

Some bigger wheels and especially some that widen your wheelbase would be nice.
Other than that I would put as much weight lower since you raised a lot up as well.

Iam kind of ignoring snorkels a bit here as you see since my first priority would be to get the engine out of the water as much as possible in the first place.

Back to top Go down
SoundBoothGuy
SoundBoothGuy

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2022, 1:02 pm

If someone could show me how to create a new thread, that would be much appreciated. I posted here because I wasn't to sure where to post something new. And sure I can go introduce myself, thanks for letting me know. As for the advice about the mower. I don't plan to run the mower submerged or anything like that, probably only up to the bottom of the carburetor at best. Even then it probably won't be for very long. I just wanted to be ready in case of accidentally submerging the motor. I don't have much room in the front of the mower so I'll probably try the radiator hose with some pvc and sealant. Thank you guys for all the advice! Sorry for the late responses too, I've been a bit busy.

Brianator and fbisurveilancevan like this post

Back to top Go down
JittyJat
JittyJat

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2022, 2:05 am

SoundBoothGuy wrote:
If someone could show me how to create a new thread, that would be much appreciated. I posted here because I wasn't to sure where to post something new. And sure I can go introduce myself, thanks for letting me know. As for the advice about the mower. I don't plan to run the mower submerged or anything like that, probably only up to the bottom of the carburetor at best. Even then it probably won't be for very long. I just wanted to be ready in case of accidentally submerging the motor. I don't have much room in the front of the mower so I'll probably try the radiator hose with some pvc and sealant. Thank you guys for all the advice! Sorry for the late responses too, I've been a bit busy.
First go to your atltf home page, then scroll down until you see a topic that matches your post you want to make, for example if i wanted to post a topic on my mower project id go under “tractor project builds” then select what type of project id be doing then you would see the “new topic” icon and thats where you'd be able to post. Hope this answers your question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snorkle and exhaust ideas?   Snorkle and exhaust ideas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snorkle and exhaust ideas?
Page 1 of 1