All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Tractor Expedition Discussion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Tractor Expedition Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2018, 10:44 pm

I may have posted something along these lines in the past, but I have thought about this for quite awhile.
How and where to do some sort of tractor expedition.

1968... Ralph Plaisted and some guys ride 16hp Ski doo snowmobiles to the north pole
They had to deal with temperatures as low as -60F. Huge shelves of ice that sometimes needed to have a ramp dug through by hand
Carbs needed to be warmed with a burning rag before the engines would start
Tractor Expedition Discussion  20nort10

Fuel and supplies would be dropped by air as they made their way north.  
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Polar_10

The machines had extra fuel tanks attached to the hood. Also from what I have read, an extra leaf in each spring on the skis.
The seats were made higher also, possibly with some storage space under them. But otherwise they were mostly stock.
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Plaist10

1978... Walter Muma makes a 3 month long, 11,500 mile trip on a motobecane moped from Toronto Canada to alaska and back
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Moped_10

Much of the trip was on gravel roads. He camped and cooked his own food on the road for the entire trip
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Moped_11

The areas were so remote that some days he would only see a couple cars. It was safe enough to change a tire right in the middle of the road
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Moped_12

The Camel trophy, basically a big advertising scheme for Land Rover and Camel cigarettes made an expedition once a year
between 1980 and 2000 with around 20 vehicles  
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Camel_10

Mostly it was in jungle areas where roads were in poor condition and sometimes barely passable at all in the wet season
They occasionally build temporary bridges across streams and dig their way around obstacles like washed out valleys by hand
Tractor Expedition Discussion  Camelt10

So my idea was always, how to do something similar with an off road tractor. Preferably it would have to be off road.
It could be with one or multiple tractors. Possibly a few days long to a week long.

Who would be interested in something like that and where would be a good place to do it?
Any ideas are welcome even it's something that seems impossible

One possibility although it may be somewhat of a loop hole, is that tractors are apparently legal on the roads in indiana
I'm sure the law was meant for farm tractors, but I had no problem there with some local law enforcement who told me directly it was ok
when I asked if I could drive my simplicity down the back road there. So maybe a long distance trip on back roads across Indiana would be
do-able. In that case planning out the route ahead of time would be a good idea. But what's everyone's thoughts about it...or anything related.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2018, 10:59 pm

I have an idea, we did a section of the KAT this year on our annual big offroad trip that I take my samurai on, it took us most of the day in 4wd trucks, it would easily be a 2 day one way on tractors, or take your time and run the single track route for bikes and be a 3 day one way, be some winching/roadbuilding most likely. it would be more Camel trophy, less long days of just road cruising, also lots of other sections of the Kat you could have fun on. Ill try to find a video of the section Im talking about, but the last obstacle before hitting the road again at the end of the trail is a deep water crossing, very much like Camel trophy, be a cool way to end the trip
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2018, 11:07 pm

https://youtu.be/eTXUINltEOY

Not gonna lie the single track looks perfect for mowers.

little basic info on the KAT

http://annessky.net/kat/
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2018, 11:12 pm

A ride across the Grand Canyon sounds pretty cool but a little "out there". Be needing alot of fuel and water doing it. Just the drive there from where you are at, I'm in Cleveland, would be an adventure just getting there. Maybe pick a section of the old Route 66 that is closed down would be cool too. Maybe a little more doable on that one.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2018, 11:22 pm

There's a very long trail leading back through the woods to the bigger road I'm near. I've always wanted to have my own "expedition"(maybe only a mile or two trip, but a trip for sure) back up it but I never have anybody to go with. Big things with these expeditions is having several people with sturdy rigs and plenty of supplies in case of the worst.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2018, 10:47 pm

Creepycrawler, yeah that looks like a cool spot. What's the legality of tractors on there you think? A couple day long run would be interesting.

Prancstaman, somewhere out in west usa would be really cool. But yeah it's a bit far to get out there.

Rich, true that you don't wanna get too far out without someone to help to you back or whatever, that's always a plus.

One big issue with tractors is, generally speaking, they're not registered and not technically "legal" in a lot of spots. Depending on the location that might not be an issue. Or maybe some kind of event could be organized with permission from land owners somewhere ect...

I still want to try to get my simplicity registered as an atv in New Jersey. Then I could ride at reading anthracite company property where I ride dirt bikes in PA. There's miles of area there and you could have a fairly long trip there too. ATV's are supposed to be registered and insured.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2018, 10:59 pm

Not sure on Kentucky, but I’m sure we could get away with slow moving vehicle signs, makes tractors legal on the roadways, I’ve been on this route, it’s in the middle of no wear, even more so than haspin, I really doubt we will see anyone other than a handful of dirt bikes, it’s a poor area, the local sheriffs don’t have time to be hassling a handful of guys on lawn mowers on a dirt road
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2018, 11:00 pm

But I can check into it
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2018, 11:02 pm

That sounds decent yeah. What about someplace to park cars during the whole thing? At least overnight somewhere that you could ride from of course.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2018, 8:21 pm

I’ll have to download the map for the Kat and find us someplace to park
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2018, 8:57 pm

We might have a winner
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf/recarea/?recid=39572

S tree campground has parking and is on the Hard 3 route, apperes about half way through so that would give us about 20 miles of trail to get to Livingston where we could also park a vehicle to shuttle us back
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Expedition Discussion    Tractor Expedition Discussion  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tractor Expedition Discussion
Page 1 of 1