All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
e7018

No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Empty
PostSubject: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2019, 3:48 pm

I blew out the light duty spicer axle in my wheelchair, so I replaced it with a heavier duty hydrostatic unit.

After I got it mounted, I found out reverse will not engage.

The control arm will not most past neutral, even with no linkage attatched, its locked.

It drives foward all day, rests in neutral fine, just no reverse.

The axle was pulled from a functioning John Deere Sabre Tractor, I think it is a K62 or K65, any Ideas? Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 8:45 am

I wouldn't call any hydro made after 1985 "heavy duty". The spicer probably would do better.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 10:48 am

Actually I've seen newer hydros with proper bearings for the axles, and differential carriers. So I don't think they're as bad as most folks think.

Anyways, if I understoon correctly you said the control cam right on the trans won't move even without a linkage attatched? Hmm, is there possibly some sort of reverse lockout mechanism?

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
e7018

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 11:28 am

Im sorry, but why would you think a light duty Transaxle with 3/4 axle shafts, engineered for 8in rims,
18-20in tires, and a cheap stamped frame would stand a chance against a garden tractor axle?

Even if it is not as strong as an old school cub cadet rear end, it is still engineered for 23in tires, 217ftlbs of wheel torque, a much heavier tractor and bigger, more demanding attatchments.

It weights over twice as much , has heavy axle shafts with ball bearing support, 5 lug hubs, and overall is way beefier than any LIGHT DUTY transaxle, hence the name. Big diffrence between a light duty hydro, and a garden tractor hydro.

I have broken half a dozen spicer 5 and 6 speeds over the years.

Keep in mind this is not a racing tractor.

Thanks AlliskidD21, Thats what I was thinking , but I just dont see/ understand it. I have a spring holding the hydro release towards engaged, and the brake is completly off.
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 12:00 pm

All I'm saying is I've seen so many blown hydro pumps. The new garden tractors are nothing like the old ones.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
e7018

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 1:01 pm

Double W Cross Ranch wrote:
All I'm saying is I've seen so many blown hydro pumps.  The new garden tractors are nothing like the old ones.

Yeah I agree ,nothing like the old ones. I got the axle for free, and I wanted a foot control to make snowplowing easier. Not a fanboy, Im just running what I brung.

Should be enough for wheelchair service, if only I could back up.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2019, 1:48 pm

So the basic concept of a hydro is there is a pump that moves fluid through a turbine, that turbine has a small gear on it that is turning the big ring or bull gear on the diff.  This is how the tuff torq unit in my LT160 functions.  I never took mine apart after watching a youtube video where a guy really struggled to get his back together.  It's not as simple to assemble as a geared transmission.  All I've done to mine is drain the factory oil out and filled it with Castrol edge 5w-50 full synthetic motor oil as recommended by tuff torq for my unit.

My tuff torq unit has one lever on it that gets moved back and forth to control fwd/rev and speed. There is also a brake lever and a lever to free wheel it. This fwd/rev lever controls a valve assembly inside the unit.  I think possibly you're low on fluid or something is wrong with that valve.

Unlike a geared transmission, tolerances inside the valve and pumps in a hydro unit are very exact and matter a lot.  Once those tolerances open up with years of wear, things don't get up to full pressure or seal properly inside the unit.

BTW very cool build. Looks like fun to plow with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair    No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Reverse! K65 Tuff Torq Wheelchair
Page 1 of 1