Good news, The center mandrel showed up a day early! Bad news, The top bearing was shot. Good news, I still have the bearing I was going to install on the jacked up one I had. Bad news, I jacked up the threads on the top of the mandrel. Good news, It was an easy fix! Good news, Mandrel installed! Good news, Mower deck installed! Lastly, Bad news. With the new engine mount, the pulley is in a different location so a new belt will need to be purchased. Original is 5/8-103. I need 5/8-105. So, the mower deck needs to come back off more than likely as I do not know if my back will allow me to get down and remove the belt guide off the top of the mower deck for belt removal.
Also, I found some oil under the tractor, and it is dripping a tiny bit. Found that the low side cap is weeping some oil.
Brianator, Nevadablue and TechnoChicken like this post
Contemplating renaming Grandpa to Phoenix. This tractor just doesn't know when to give up.
Mid 80's the tractor had a bad wreck where it fell out of a pickup. Dad got it running but ran hoodless for several years until my brother build a nose for it.
Blew original engine,
Blew rebuilt engine,
Blew rebuilt engine again- final nail for engine.
Left to rot behind my parents shed for several years.
Moved to my sister's house to continue to rot as well as sit in 4-6 inches of water in the rainy season a few more years.
Saved and rebuilt about 7-8 years ago by me. Repowered 389cc Lifan. Found a new nose cone for it as well.
Freshened up again in the past year mowing again like a champ TODAY!
My dad was the original purchaser from Sears in 1975. I've definitely had the most seat time post hood smash. This tractor is the first motorized thing I ever drove. I hope you have enjoyed this tractor's journey with me. It'll probably fall off ATLTF for the most part but will survive to see several more years use!
OK, I've been running the new config now for about 5 months. The rear oil cap is just leaking way too much oil. I either need to figure out the thread pattern and put a real plug into it or put it back down on the frame where I had it.
So... adding the riser may have fixed the space issue under the hood, but it has caused possibly a new worse issue. The tractor is starting to dump oil. I didn't figure the small amount of incline would cause any issues.
Still leaking. It started after the riser was made. Teardown has started on the mower deck for new bearings.
So... the Cummins beige has not grown on me any. I will more than likely blow the tractor back apart and go back to the yellow/white with black accents when I am done. This will be my April/May project for this year.
Finished up the deck. Decided to not paint the rest. Let it grow a little more.
Got the blades all lined up. Realized one spindle was about 1/8 shorter than the others. Always noticed one side mowed lower. I thought I needed to level the deck, just needed a little adjustment on the one. Mowed great today.
First time ever since mowing with this deck, one from the Dirty Rat, that I could barely hear the deck over the engine. Deck use to be insanely loud.
I really put the old tractor through its paces today. Finally a day with no rain for a couple weeks nearly. I saw a couple snakes so I decided it was time to battle the grass. It was dry on top, and I did find that there were some substantial water puddles hidden under the tall grass. I figured there were a couple patches nearly 10 inches tall. I mowed today at 3.5 inches. Where I normally mow, but today was a 1st and 2nd gear day. Those high places I had to drop it to 1st. Got it done, not the prettiest today. It will all work out in the upcoming weeks. More rain and potential flooding later this week. Next week they have taken out much of the rain if not almost all of it. That will give me some time to hit the grass again with it a little drier and mulch up the clippings from today.
Back (off to the right of pic was some 8-9 inch grass and left where the camper usually sits was almost 10inches)
Finally finished and all cleaned up.
I really need to get a new battery for this thing. The 7 year old walmart battery gave up last year. LOL.
Only issues today was a random shutoff. Looked things over, and it fired right back up. Not sure about that. Could be due to a vacuum leak on the fuel pump. I need to look into that. Also, while I was at the furthest from the house... of course... evidently my snap ring had fell off the steering shaft long ago. Over time steering wheel bolt backed itself off and came off on me. AYE! Talk about unexpected. I totally lucked out that the key caught the steering tube and wedged itself there holding the steering rod from falling into the mower pulley. It gave me the opportunity to fix the clocking of the steering wheel. LOL it was a couple teeth off.
Tomorrow, I'm going to see about clearance on the carb, I found an actual pulse plate the fits between the carb and head. If I have the space, I'll get it as it's only 9 bucks, but I have limited space in there. If not enough space, I can just make what I have better. Also, I may look into putting a set of new-old-stock blades on the tractor after today. Then I can resharpen what I have and put back in rotation.