All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Murray Stamped Frame

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Murraymountain
Prybar
Prybar

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray Stamped Frame   Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2019 4:15 pm

@MightyRaze wrote:
Sounds like a bronze bushing is out of square.

Yes. That's why it didn't go together on the first try. Got it together now and the spider gears won't even work. Won't roll or anything. It shifts, the input turns, but it just won't roll. It'll have to come apart again obviously, but I have no idea when. I can't take the chance on driving it... I just know it's gonna blow. Too bad it only needs gas lines, the engine pulley, and the belt and it would drive if it wasn't for this problem. I put the oil and everything in cause I thought that once the oil got in the axles, it would free up. Guess I was wrong. I had to drill a hole in the side of the case to fill it up. There was no drain/fill plug.

(sorry for the crappy picture, looked better on a smaller screen.)
Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140035

Sure does suck that it's on 4 wheels but ain't gonna drive. I think the spider gears didn't seat properly or something. There was also a spot on the case where it didn't compress the RTV. Same place the MM's bolts stripped.

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140034

So I don't about you guys, but...

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Tenor
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Prybar
Prybar
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 56

PostSubject: Re: Murray Stamped Frame   Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 9:59 am

Alright, I took 'er apart again and gave 'er one more shot. Turns out it was the spider gears. Don't know what was wrong with them, everything was put together right. Anyway, it works now... Hopefully I'll be driving it tomorrow.

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140043
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 498

PostSubject: Re: Murray Stamped Frame   Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 11:22 am

Could have been something simple as a flake of metal from drilling or grain of sand to bind those things up. Glad you got it working!

Forum Admin -- Chat Admin-- Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page --How To Upload Pictures

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Prybar
Prybar
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: Murray Stamped Frame   Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 9:12 pm

It was kinda weird. You spin them and they'd be fine till about half way, then they'd pull out of the case. Stumped me... They were aligned perfectly. Guess they just wanted to be reset one more time.

Anyway, got it filled up and in the tractor! Vent tube is on, new headlights are wired, new fuel lines are in, engine pulley on, and put the belt on. Also had to redo the shifter... The way Murray designed it was stupid. Anyway, it's a bit stronger now, but the bolts came loose... Whatever, I can tighten and thread lock them later on. On the other hand, now that it's driving, it is SLOOOOOOOOOOOW compared to before. The engine only goes to half throttle... I think the carb adjustment screw I can't reach without taking the hood off needs to be messed with. Oh, and it still needs brake pucks and pads. So yeah, a couple minor things... The shifter is beginning to be not so minor though... It's loose enough that you can't figure out what gear you're in and I ran into one of the support beams of a portico and put a massive dent in the fender. Whatever, all repairable. Anyhow...

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140045

Then me and my brother tried to burn a tire off it's rim... It's still got a LOT to go LOL. (Nope, it's not the tire on fire, just some WD40 sprayed on burnt rubber and lit it with the torch, LOL.) Watch this video...

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140047

So, it's not that bad, just a couple things to work out on it. I'll be wrenching on it off and on I guess.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Prybar
Prybar
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: Murray Stamped Frame   Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Alright. It's "finished"... Meaning, it is functional to the point that I am satisfied with it. Fixed the throttle, shifter, and got some brakes for it. For someone who's used to a hand throttle, it's probably pretty nice to drive, but I'm used to the MM now, so for me it's definitely a 'backup' machine. Anyway, it looks good...

Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140120
Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 P1140121
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray Stamped Frame   Murray Stamped Frame - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray Stamped Frame
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: