All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 5:07 pm

The suspension bracket making process at Simplicity's racing division...

As usual when making a super high tech part, we start with a cardboard template
(Labeled as such to prevent accidental disposal)
I center punch the hole with the template also while keeping the important flat surfaces that will touch the frame flush with the template.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7210

I drill the hole before making any cuts. That makes it much easier to work with in the drill press. Or to clamp it in a vice for a hand drill. Then make the cuts with a sawzall. On the tabs for the lower suspension, I only rounded one of the outter edges because the bottom butted up against the skid plate. The top ones will stick out in mid air, so both edges get rounded off.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7211

I finish rounding the edges with a normal bench grinder and wire wheel. The most important thing is that the holes are all as close as possible, but the edges seem to come out pretty close as long as I'm careful to always mark and cut about the same way.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7212

Once welded to the frame, I can correct any slight hole alignment issues by running a drill bit through it to ream them out a little. There are of course eight bottom tabs for both lower control arms and eight upper tabs for the upper control arms. Plus there will need to be eight tabs to mount both front shocks (two tabs for top and bottom each) And then later on, mounting tabs for the rear shocks....For now I'll try not to think about how many more I have to cut out.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7213
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Veteran
Veteran
Creepycrawler

Forum Rep : 54

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 9:06 pm

life gets tedious dont it lol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 1:44 am

You need a die press.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 101

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 11:13 am

It's not too bad if you do a couple at a time. Getting there.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 am

All the control arm mounting tabs attached to the front frame section.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7220

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7222

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7221

Added these braces along the front skid plate edges to keep it from bending in during hard impacts.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7223
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 am

With the front frame welded up, I decided to add it to the drawing and get an idea what the control arms will look like.
Planning on the same 1" square tube I used for the frame. Since the upper and lower arms are slightly different, I showed
the lower arm at the top and upper arm on the bottom (as indicated on the drawing).

You might notice that the upper and lower arm attachment points at the wheel are slightly different. That's because the golf cart spindles are tipped at an angle (forget what it's called) Not really camber because the wheel is straight. Not exactly caster either, I'm sure there's a name for it. Anyway, point is, upper and lower attachment points at the wheel are about 1" difference. Lower point is about in line with the inside edge of the tire, with the upper attachment point about 1" towards the middle of the tractor.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7224

The coil over shocks will be connected to the lower arm. The top of the coil overs will be connected to a bracket off the
top of the frame. But I need to keep in mind that the steering shaft will have to come through where the pencil is in this pic. So the shocks can't be tipped too far in towards the center or the right one would foul the shaft.

Once I make the arms I can figure out where the shocks need to be. Over all I think the front end will be pretty rugged.
One point I'm worried about is if the lower heims will be strong enough. The entire weight of the machine will rest on the lower joints with the weak point being between where they thread into the lower arms and the joint itself. I hope they don't snap off. If it becomes a serious issue, I'm sure I could change the lower arms and make something else fit.
At this point I don't really know any other easy way to do it while using the golf cart spindles. Not exactly sure if they are meant for that kind of wear either but we'll see.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7225
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 124

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am

The knuckles being tipped inwards like that are for your caster arc. I assume that’s what you’re talking about. Knuckle tilts in but the spindle sticks off of it parallel to the ground. That’s what’s considered a Short Long Arm (SLA for short) suspension setup where the upper control arm is shorter than the lower control arm. This is used in automotive applications that use an upper and lower control arm setup. When the suspension is compressed the top of the tire tilts in (negative camber I think) and can give you a little more stability.

Are you going to run a swaybar on this? Perhaps a quick disconnect bar so you can connect it real quick for high speed obstacle courses and disconnect it for maximum articulation for crawling. You could attach it to the upper control arm and mount it to the top of the chassis for easy access. Not sure if you’ve mentioned the idea before and I missed it
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 pm

That's what I was talking about yeah. And have not thought much about using a sway bar. It would be an ok idea but I think I'll just leave it open to start with. Later on I could always add one in if the roll was too much.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Veteran
Veteran
Creepycrawler

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 pm

I believe what your talking about is KPI or kingpin inclination angle. But I’ve been wrong before. Love the drawings by the way
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:18 pm

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what the technical term for it is. Looks to me like it would make the steering want to return to center more. I figured if it worked ok for the golf cart I'll keep it the same.

Thanks about the drawings, helps a little bit to see how things are gonna go without holding a bunch of stuff and measuring everything wrong. Plus it's always there to go back to.

I've been thinking over some various suspension options. I think I may get some bigger heims with 7/8 ID to fit over the sleeves for the lower ball joints. Looked at some pics online and there are other ways I could rig it up, but just using heims seems to be the easiest route without a lot of extra fabrication. Just worried about the front end being held up on a 1/2" rod. I'm thinking after a while it may fatigue and sheer off.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Veteran
Veteran
Creepycrawler

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:35 pm

I think your making a good call on making that joint bigger, I wouldnt trust a half incher
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:12 pm

Actually I made a mistake, the ball joint ends were 5/8 and the control arm pivot joints are half inch. But even so, I still wanted to go bigger. So I stopped at tractor supply today and got some SUPER RIDICULOUS OVERKILL 7/8" BORE HASPIN TOUGH joints.

So there we go. Some weldable 7/8" joints that I'll weld into the lower arms. They're a little bit heavy but I don't think I'll have any issues with them breaking. Also they have a much wider surface area and should wear longer. I'm using 7/8 OD sleeves in the spindles, so they will fit right over those.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7228

Made a quick jig to locate the upper ball joint while fabricating the upper arms. On this first arm, I didn't bother to clamp things as straight as I should have. It turned out ok, but not as true as the second one.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7226

I left a bit of room for lock nuts on the threads of the hiem joints. I did some research and it seems most people think it's a bit hard on the threads to not use lock nuts, even if the hiems are used in a way that they can't turn. The threads are still most of the way through the weld in bung. This isn't the final adjustment here anyway, just a starting point.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7227

To weld the next piece on, I clamped a flat bar across the top to hole them in line.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7230

Starting the 2nd upper arm, I clamped and washered everything so that it was straight and level before welding it together. It turned out a lot nicer.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7231

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7229

Completed both upper arms. Now with the lower joints figured out, I can start work on the lower ones next. Then I'll need to figure out the shock mounts. Should be interesting to see how the steering shaft will go.
Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Img_7232
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project    Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project  - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Simplicity Broadmoor R/S Project
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: