All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest

Go down 
+2
RichieRichOverdrive
TourMax
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TourMax

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Empty
PostSubject: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2020, 8:53 pm

So I’ve got several pellet/bb rifles/pistols that I plink targets with in the back yard:

[table][tr][td]Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 46dc7f10

Thats only a few I had out. I enjoy pellet rifles/pistols because they are cheap to buy, cheap to shoot and challenging to get good groupings at distance. I did 29 years in the military and was trained to “sniper level” accuracy. I wasn’t a sniper, but I have a natural ability with shooting. One day when I was on a shoot, the range safety officer was impressed by my groupings with the browning 9mm. Turns out he was an “ex” sniper and he had a couple guys that were still snipers there that day. They took me aside and showed me a few things. Next thing I knew, I was on the base shooting team. So having developed the skill, I really didn’t want to loos it. Pellet rifles are a bit different in shooting characteristics from powder weapons, but the basic skills can still be practiced.

I usually shoot from the standing position, due to my broken back. Somewhere along the way I decided a shooting bench would be good. I checked prices and decided I could build something that fit my needs better, was higher quality and cheaper to boot.

So I grabbed some oak planks I salvaged from some cabinets that were being tossed out at work. Pulled all the nails, ran them through the planer and the jointer, glued them up and left them overnight. This morning, I cut out the shape, added a “stop” all around the table (to keep things from rolling off), welded up a frame from 1” square tube and attached it to the underside of the table to add strength/weight.

Then I finish sanded the whole thing and gave it a coat of “red oak” stain:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 019f2310

Not too shabby if I do say so myself!

Tomorrow it will get a nice coat of varithane and I’ll start working on the legs....

Last edited by TourMax on March 29th 2020, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2020, 12:06 am

That looks really nice. Gonna make a chair to match it?

I had one of those crosman pistols like the one on the left. I don't know what ever happened to it. Such a nice little gun.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2020, 10:50 am

Neato. Ive been wanting to build a heavy shooting bench for a while.
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 11:02 am

@TheBeal, what in the WORLD is a "Burger Miser"?
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 12:28 pm

loggers gogert wrote:
@TheBeal, what in the WORLD is a "Burger Miser"?

It's someone who cannot live without the invention of the cheeseburger. It is impossible for them to even entertain the thought of no cheeseburgers.

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 1098998679

Nice little table you got there @TourMax! I like the finish.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 4:15 pm

Finished the folding legs today:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 123d9e10
Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 0c161310

The legs are actually angled a but forward and rearward. Doesn’t show in the picture for some reason. Its probably the camera angle just not showing it.

Next I’m thinking of putting a copper inlay around the table top. Not much, just about a 10 gauge wire size. I was thinking of doing it in brass, but brass is just too expensive.

I’ll finish it up with a few coat of varithane and then start on the gun rest....
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 6:12 pm

nice, so where's the chair you plan on using with it? Hoes does it feel seated?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 8:28 pm

Oh you're gonna build a rest for it? Sweet. I thought you were just gonna throw a varminters on top of it.
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
loggers gogert

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 8:37 pm

he he he....@Crazy_Carl said "hoes"  heh heh heh.......
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2020, 10:08 pm

Crazy_Carl wrote:
nice, so where's the chair you plan on using with it?  Hoes does it feel seated?

Right now I’m just using my roll around shop stool. It cushioned and height adjustable. Feels fine sitting at the bench and holding a rifle.

I am, however, toying with the idea of building a stool out of the same oak I used for the table....
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2020, 5:46 pm

Working in the rifle rest:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest A2dd3210
Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 25e8b510

That’s just a very basic start. The rifle rest will be on the standing aluminum cylinder. It will be a screw jack for height adjustment. There will be another screw jack at the rear for fine adjustments on elevation. It will also be adjustable for windage. The front mount allows both those movements.

Still a long way to go, but its a good start.

Smile
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2020, 6:08 pm

I figured it might be hard to picture how a rifle will sit on that stand, so I dropped my Benjamin on it for a quick pic to give some idea of what it will look like:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 60347c10

Like I said, long way to go yet but its a good start.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2020, 8:31 pm

Coming along:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest A5fc6c10

Thats the “plinth” attached with the raising screw and knob.

Next up is the rest of the knobs/handles:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 85f29210

Thats a 2” piece of 6061, knurled, drilled and tapped for 7/16 NC. When I get back to it, I’ll part off a half an inch at a time to make more turning knobs.

This bad boy showed up today too:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 5eb0f010

Spotter scope. Up to 80x magnification. Works fine on 40-60x to see the pellet impacts on my back yard targets.

My backyard shooting range is coming together nicely...Smile

Last edited by TourMax on April 2nd 2020, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2020, 4:54 pm

I have a Barska spotting scope very similar to that. Once I set it up on a bigger camera tripod, it works great at my 50 yard range.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2020, 8:35 pm

Little closer every day:

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest 2d4af110
Shooting bench/table and rifle rest B5da2c10
Shooting bench/table and rifle rest C4668e10

Slow but steady progress!

I’ve hit a bit of a stop though. My argon bottle ran out and the welding store isn’t open until Monday now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shooting bench/table and rifle rest   Shooting bench/table and rifle rest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shooting bench/table and rifle rest
Page 1 of 1