All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! Empty
PostSubject: Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!   Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2021, 8:34 pm

First off, I'm a DIY kind of guy that believes in doing as much as I can myself, if I can fashion a way to get it done I will! I'm sure I'm not the first person to do it this way but I can't remember if/when I've seen it before. I'm building a winch mounting plate for The Warhorse and I had envisioned it being bent and then welded at certain points for strength but I don't have a bender and I'm not about to pay some shop an outrageous rate to do it for me plus... where's the fun in that! Lol. I do have a 5" metal bender for my bench vise but I don't think it would've cut it even if the jaws were tall enough to give it a try so I got to thinking and I figured if I cut a relief with the angle grinder (loaded with a thin cutting disc) that could maybe work! I've never tried this before, let's see what happens!

After cutting the reliefs I chucked it in the bench vise with a heavy piece of angle iron (to span the whole bend), gave it a go and it bent nicely right up until the 45 degree mark which is when the edges of the relief touched each other...
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211214
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211215
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211213

So I grabbed the grinder and cut another relief along the bend but now that I saw the flaw in my plan I used a worn grinding disc to open up the relief cuts for the others bends.
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211217
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211216

I tossed it back in the vise and viola! 90 percent of the way there! A little persuasion with the BFH and it was now sitting at 90 degrees! (not pictured) Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211218
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211220
Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! 20211219

That's all folks, class dismissed! Get out there and bend some metal!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Last edited by Brianator on December 9th 2021, 11:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Nevadablue and CharlieMac67 like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!   Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2021, 10:51 pm

Good idea! I have to make a mount for my winch and will probably cut the bracket and weld it. But, your idea may work for this. Thanks!

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!   Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2021, 10:59 pm

Nevadablue wrote:
Good idea! I have to make a mount for my winch and will probably cut the bracket and weld it. But, your idea may work for this. Thanks!

Thanks! Still requires welding but not nearly as much (just on the inside of the bends) AND it gives nice rounded corners! I'm giving myself a pat on the back for this one! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!   Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2021, 11:10 pm

Yep, good way to make the bends straight too. 

My bracket is already a right angle and I need it straight. I’ll try cutting half way through with the cut off disk then bending.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!   Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need to bend some metal but don't have a bender? No problem!
Page 1 of 1