All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder

Go down 
+12
nanner161988
FatMike
Budget_gokart
Rustbucket Garage
MN mudder
Murraymountain
Nevadablue
mr.modified
TechnoChicken
diddie
MightyRaze
Brianator
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2022, 8:36 pm

Nice job on the muffler set up. can't wait to see how that turns out !

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2022, 9:19 pm

Nice work! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 2731072446

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2022, 9:54 pm

I think that your muffler idea should be in the tips. Maybe you could post the parts and pics in one of those directories so others will see it when they need it? Brilliant, IMO.

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2022, 10:03 pm

Thanks @Nevadablue! I was actually thinking about making a separate thread for it once it's done in the exhaust section.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2022, 10:08 pm

Cool! I just looked at my stash (in pictures) and I have two of those here. Thinking…
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2022, 7:19 pm

Well guys it's been a BIG day at the Mud Duck Recovery HQ! Although I do still have a long way to go with it I decided to make a completion video of it just in case anything happens between now and the actual unveiling, unfortunately I'm low on data right now so I can't upload it yet... Anyhoo here's what I got accomplished today:

I rerouted the choke cable into it's permanent location and installed the new throttle cable.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220362

I added a spring that connects between the end of the throttle linkage on the engine and the fan shroud, it seems to have solved the issue with the throttle creeping down as I had hoped! If it doesn't work out long term maybe I'll try hanging some lead fishing weights or something! Lol
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220363

I installed the headlights (not wired) and apparently may have tightened the one too much which has cracked the housing... *sigh*. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220364
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220365

I installed a hood strap (it had previously been bolted to the side of the grille)... Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220366

...and removed the front PTO to make a possible spot for the muffler. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220367

Speaking of the muffler I had done a little looking around to see where I can put it, seems I won't be able to tuck it up where I wanted to as there's just not enough room... Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220368
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220369

... so I think it will end up here between the "subframe" and front wheels all nice and tucked up (shortening required), I can use an elbow to turn the pipe and run it down the side into a tail pipe. I really can't find another good spot to keep it protected yet but I will keep poking around some more before I commit. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220370

Another good thing about that location is it will make it a pretty strait shot from the engine to the muffler inlet.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220371

I took it for a few blasts 'round the track (in my yard) and even ended up going through the neighbors yard following the snowmobile track up and over the snowbank, what a blast this thing is I can't wait to go for an actual romp!  

I'm hoping to get more exhaust work done tomorrow, I need to get it situated before I can rework the steering drag link (for more ground clearance) and start planning out the floorboards and pedals. There's still plenty to do and only 30 some weeks left until the deadline! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)

diddie and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2022, 8:20 pm

I'll mark ya complete... Much like me, I'll probably complete next month, but we still have till Nov 30 to resolve anything we want before the contest ends!  You also have until Nov 30 to get the video up. It's the final step to competion.  

[adm]This is for all build-off participants.  Make sure you post a "SHOW-OFF" pic that we can use in the voting post in Dec!!![/adm]

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Sig214Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Sig314

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2022, 8:33 pm

Thank you! I'll get the video I took today up asap but it might not be for a week, I'm low on data as stated and don't trust public wifi! I figured better to do it now because if the hydro blows up for some reason this build is over (maybe for good), the parts are not easy to come by and really expensive when you find them.  The hydro seems really strong btw, no signs of funny business just a little leak. There's still a LONG way to go with this beast I'm not even 50% done yet,  I've just gotten past some hard parts so needless to say I'm beyond the "proof of concept" stage now! Lol

Here's a screenshot from the start of the video (at the lake) so you know I'm keeping it honest!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Screen59

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on March 1st 2022, 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

diddie, Nevadablue and TechnoChicken like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 7:21 pm

The weather around here has been decent hovering around 30-35F so I got some more accomplished today!

I wanted to get the exhaust sorted out and the muffler done so I cobbled together the fittings until I was happy with it but as you can see I need to bend the pipe to curve around the fuel fitting...
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220372

...and this is when $#!+ hit the fan! Do NOT let anyone trick you into thinking this black pipe is easy to bend because it's not! Lol. I didn't want to just sledgehammer it so I tried out my 4 ton press and... blew a seal. Oil everywhere. I grabbed my mini torch set even though I knew it would act up and not work, well that's exactly what happened. Okay, so then I clamped it in the bench vise, pinched it just a little bit and hit it with the sledgehammer a couple times... no luck AND I've caused some kind of damage to my old as dirt, super heavy duty bench vise... oh boy!

But the show must go on so I cobbled the pipe back together, slipped the tube on and took a measurement of how much to remove so the elbow on the exit side is where I want it.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220374Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220373

I then drilled the (1/8") holes in the mufflers out to 3/16", cleaned some paint off, tack welded both ends to the tube and test fit it. Looks like it will fit pretty well overall! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220377
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220376
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220375

Then I tore it all down and made it into a stack! Lol
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220378

I'm undecided on where it's going but I thought it would be a good idea to cut it to fit in front of the subframe regardless. I can't run it down there anyways until I make floorboards and a new pedal setup, I don't feel like melting my boots and shoes y'know!?

Then it was time to weld it up which by the way went WAY better than previously because I found a brand new roll of Forney wire I must have bought because I wasn't digging the Blue Demon and then forgot about it! Lol. I still only have a crappy 80amp flux core welder and only 60amp service to feed it but this new (to me) wire worked way better and there's almost no spatter! Finally! Still not perfect but I'll accept it! Lol
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220379Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220380

Then I painted it up and got it on the tractor so I could take it for a rip and help cure the paint! Sounds pretty good I think, about half the volume of a single muffler (2 mufflers = half the noise... could it be!?), still enough to be heard and still sounds tractor-ey (is that a word?) but is definitely more tolerable! I did shoot 2 short videos of a single muffler then mine for comparison but you'll have to wait to hear them I can't upload videos right now.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220381

So I did a couple victory laps 'round the track then decided to try something a little more challenging... I took a skinny trail that runs between my front yard and the neighbors (we're all friends) to test this thing out and see what it's capable of. Freaking thing jumped the railroad tie no problem once I got lined up, just barely squeezed through the trees, up the hill (of their yard) and over to the road! I only got stuck once and only for a few seconds! I'm lovin' the "controlled differential" in this thing!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220382

So a crappy start but a strong finish today and man is this thing fun, I was laughing for almost 10 minutes strait!  I'm having more fun with the Mud Duck then I do with my ATVs and I definitely have fun with them, I can't wait for some snow to melt and hit the trails!

That's all for today let me know what you think!

You can find a link to the mufflers I used to build this by clicking here.

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on March 15th 2022, 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total

diddie and MN mudder like this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 7:56 pm

Brianator wrote:
Snipped for flow:

Then it was time to weld it up which by the way went WAY better than previously because I found a brand new roll of Forney wire I must have bought because I wasn't digging the Blue Demon and then forgot about it! Lol. I still only have a crappy 80amp flux core welder and only 60amp service to feed it but this new (to me) wire worked way better and there's almost no spatter! Finally! Still not perfect but I'll accept it! Lol
Snipped for flow:
I wouldn't complain about 80 amps when your welding sheet metal like that, honestly something like exhaust doesn't need to be really strong, good enough is perfect Smile
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 8:05 pm

TechnoChicken wrote:

I wouldn't complain about 80 amps when your welding sheet metal like that, honestly something like exhaust doesn't need to be really strong, good enough is perfect Smile

Technically I'm underpowering it @60amps (my main house panel) and that creates an issue but you're right when it comes to exhaust it works fine (sometimes) but I get into 1/8" and 3/16" too which makes it very difficult at that point! Lol.

On another note here's a link to the DIY muffler thread I created
DIY: How To Build A Muffler The Brianator Way!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on March 1st 2022, 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 10:05 pm

Good stuff! I like the stack. Needs a little flapper thing. I always did like stacks on tractors.

Be careful you don’t break the head of the engine, that looks pretty ‘out there’ and might need some support.

Good Job!

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 10:12 pm

Thank you!  I agree a rain flapper would be good,  I have one but it's 1" and I would need 1-1/4" and yes I'll probably put a small support on it tomorrow. It's a stack for now,  I could turn it forwards too if I desired but really I just don't know where it's going to go yet the important thing was to build it because it was so freaking loud!  Lol. I'll figure it out all in due time but I do kind of like the stack so far,  I've always been partial to them and  even put a mini stack on a garden tiller with a 3hp B&S! Lol

The exhaust goes in the block and it's cast iron so it would take ALOT to break it! The pipe and muffler would be crushed first!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 10:37 pm

Oh, yep, the pipe would strip out at worst probably.

Last edited by Nevadablue on March 13th 2022, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 10:55 pm

I actually have a nice, bench mounted pipe bender but it only goes up to 1" OD and this pipe is 1" ID/1-1/4" OD go figure!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Screen68

My All Terrain Tractors:

MightyRaze and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 11:34 pm

Off-Topic:

Other projects
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Sig214Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Sig314

Last edited by MightyRaze on March 2nd 2022, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2022, 11:58 pm

Off-Topic:

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 12:15 am

[spoiler="Off-Topic"]

Last edited by Nevadablue on March 13th 2022, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 6:36 am

Off-Topic:
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 8:52 am

Off-Topic:

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 3:22 pm

[adm]This is a competition thread for the build-off so I should be a bit stricter than I am in the other topics.  This topic has gone way off track.  Please stay on topic and not clutter the builder's thread. [/adm]

I am going back through and changing posts to hidden text.  Even some of my own. The posts are still there and not deleted.

Other projects

Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 7:01 pm

@Brianator nice job on that muffler ! pretty inventive !! still want to give you the respect you deserve working a lot outside in those temps. i keep my shop warm with gas and wood ! but i'm old LOL.

TechnoChicken likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 7:53 pm

Thanks @MightyRaze!  I'd just like to say quickly that I do like when people make comments/suggestions and have relevant info to share and I'd like for my threads to be fun and inviting for all, present and future. If it's a "dead thread" (just myself posting) it's not even fun for me anymore as I think noone cares and then there's no point in spending so much time taking photos and posting, I know what I've done! Lol. I usually don't even really take photos of work I'm doing because it takes time away and distracts me BUT over the last couple years I've started to turn over a new leaf and share some things I'm up to at the encouragement of others, there was another forum I was on for a bit but it wasn't "me", then I found this place! I lurked around for a couple years then became active late last year because it just seems like such a great community here and unique too! I've found myself a whole new hobby that I love and thank everyone that made this place what it is!  Well, now that I've jacked my own thread I better get to the meat and potatoes of it!

It's been an interesting day to say the least, unlike yesterday it started out strong and kind of ended rough! Lol

I had a look at the 1" exhaust weather cap I have that's for my MTD Seven Hundred and said (to myself) "Well why the heck can't I just cut the bracket off and weld it onto a piece of threaded pipe!". The cap itself is just a little bigger than the pipe so why wouldn't it work right?!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220397
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220396

So I drilled out the little divot/spot welds and ground down the other weld to separate it from the clamp. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220398
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220399

I made sure to mark the forward position of the threaded pipe as it sat on the muffler to make sure I set it how I wanted it (strait ahead) and welded the bracket on. I also put a little tack weld on the nut so I could make adjustments if needed or flat out lock it either open or closed with a single wrench. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220400

Then I scuffed it up, painted it and installed it! I'm loving it! Looks pretty good in my opinion!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220403
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220401
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220402

I had the ATV tires and tractor tires broken down at a tire shop close by today also (sorry no pictures! Lol) I did take a picture of the bead breaker "spoon" because I would like to design and build my own bead breaker that mounts on one of the legs of my steel work table.

The tractor wheels are way too pitted to seal a tire but only on the outside beads?! Go figure. Luckily the tubes that were in the tractor wheels seem to be in decent shape! I scrubbed the lips down with a wire brush on my angle grinder... Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220405
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220404

...and noticed the wheels were made by Firestone!?...
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220406

...painted the lips with some quick drying Duplicolor silver lacquer and dried them in front of the heater. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220407

While the paint was drying I decided to finally have a look at the workings of the "controlled differential" adjustment so I took it apart, cleaned everything up, lubricated it and put it back together. It's smooth as silk now!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220408

Then it was time to install the tires! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220409

I figured I might as well use the tire inflator to pump 'em up! Did the first tire no problem then 100% completey quit about 20 seconds into the second tire for some reason(?) so I got a work out with my foot pump! LolBrianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220410

Then I mounted them on the tractor, set them to 6PSI and went for a rip around my yard! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220412
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220411

I have to say... I'm rather disappointed with them they seem to have LESS traction than the old Kenda tires and all they do is dig when they spin! I got stuck twice where the Kendas didn't, guess the Kendas kind of float on top of the snow and can't dig down because there's almost no tread. I'm sure the Dunlops will be great on hardpack dirt, rocky terrain and for climbing over obstacles but if today is any indication of how they'll work in mud, sand and loose forest soil I'm screwed! Lol. That is unless they can dig down and catch solid ground, I guess I'll find out... or will I....?

After 20 mins or so I realized I wasn't going as fast as I was... reverse was fine but forwards had slowed down a bunch. I figured maybe the control rod bracket needed to be adjusted, I checked the hydro fluid and....
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 20220413

...it started puking out of the reservoir! Nice and pink and foamy cloudy so that's something to look into but I will say it was at it's proper level and color before I went for a rip! So I'm a little bummed about that but I'm doing some research and will hopefully dig up some goodness! Lol.

**edit** I figured out what was wrong with the tire inflator, the cigarette lighter plug itself was the problem! When I cut it off, stripped the wires back and hooked it up to a battery it worked perfect!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on March 2nd 2022, 11:53 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 7:57 pm

diddie wrote:
@Brianator nice job on that muffler ! pretty inventive !! still want to give you the respect you deserve working a lot outside in those temps. i keep my shop warm with gas and wood ! but i'm old LOL.

Lol. Thanks @diddie! Well, to tell a secret I heat my workshed with a propane salamander and bounce back and forth between working outside and inside when it's close to or below freezing.

My All Terrain Tractors:

diddie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 8:02 pm

Nice work and thank you for documenting it.

I agree with you, to me a build thread should be a ‘conversation’ with the builder and watchers interacting. Otherwise, one might as well wait till the machine is complete and post a bunch of pics. I very much enjoy the interaction before, during and after the build.

IMO, a thread can’t be derailed, as long as the posts are related to the thread subject.

Brianator and TechnoChicken like this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 8:29 pm

Brianator wrote:

After 20 mins or so I realized I wasn't going as fast as I was... reverse was fine but forwards had slowed down a bunch. I figured maybe the control rod bracket needed to be adjusted, I checked the hydro fluid and....

...it started puking out of the reservoir! Nice and pink and foamy so that's something to look into but I will say it was at it's proper level and color before I went for a rip! So I'm a little bummed about that but I'm doing some research so hopefully I dig up some goodness! Lol.

I found a similar problem with mine...reservoir/rear end was building air pressure, found aired fluid. The vent bolt issue is one I'm going to look into this weekend, need to set aside a good chunk of time to remove the fender pan. I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Flap cap looks mint! All stacks MUST have one IMHO, especially tractors. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 2731072446

Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder
Page 6 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next