All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Let's talk.

Go down 
+3
Brianator
Nevadablue
MightyRaze
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2022, 10:25 pm

First off, let's review the current Forum Ruleset by @Doug.

https://www.atltf.com/t5572-atltf-forum-ruleset-revised-12-17-2016

There has been a lot of going back and forth about the forum and getting off topic.  Yes, the forum's purpose is for conversation and going back and forth with each other.  **Just not all in one topic, unless it is the talk about anything topic.  That doesn't mean, we can't have a little chatter that gets a little off topic, but when it goes for multiple posts, and everyone is rehashing the same thing. That can get excessive really fast and then the build topic whether it is a "Build-Off" or a regular build gets lost.  Nothing more than being interested in a build, get 4 pages into a 7 page thread, to find out the originator bailed somewhere on page 5 because the topic got cluttered up with chasing rabbits.  Would you want your build topic to have more posts about someone else's build or other information not relevant to the topic?

The build-off competition threads are a little "stricter" per se.  While we welcome conversation about the build, we would like for those to really not get all over the place.  It makes for checking build compliance much harder.  Plus, those topics are all about the build!  Once the build-off is over, those topics are open to become like any other build topic.  You wouldn't want to read a book or instruction manual to have pages about another subject unrelated.  EX: You wouldn't want to reference the MST bearings topic to have it talk about how great bearclaw tires are. You want to know about the mst bearings.

Saying it's no wonder no one posts in the forum anymore is because we don't like to get off topic or have conversation is incorrect.  The forum was much more active back in the day when it was the strictest.  The original owner and staff were all about correct spelling, punctuation, clear thoughts and no off-topic.  Social Media is the downfall of forums.

I'm not here to drop any ban hammers

Let's talk. Mjolni10

Or put any strikes against anyone's account.  I'd like everyone to enjoy the forum experience.  Please, we welcome conversation. We ask that we all help to make it a little more coherent and make a new topic when discussing something new.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Let's talk. Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Let's talk. Sig214Let's talk. Sig314

Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2022, 10:27 pm

Maybe our forum owner @Doug can give a few words to this as well when he has a minute to type it out.

Other projects

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2022, 10:44 pm

I’ll bite.
Is it OK to ask about shocks for example, after the post showing them?

Is it OK to suggest something different, even if the part is already installed?

The reason I ask is that for someone who doesn’t know, it is much easier to see, for example, shocks installed and then have someone ask and maybe suggest something, right there. If a new thread is started, it gets lost for sure.

I’ll follow your rules, but it would be nice to know what IS and what isn’t acceptable. Maybe build-off threads should be locked for the build and a second thread created for discussion. It appears that some people take offense at their thread being posted in. That would make the build thread ‘clean’ and the discussion can just be for that build discussion.

Anyway, Jerry, thanks for what you do. I don’t want to make it any harder to take care of the forum, but if discussion isn’t part of it, IMO, it is ruined. I joined because I learned a LOT about Lawn Attackers before joining, and I wanted to try and help while I learn. Experience and interest mean a lot, reading what others ‘think’ works doesn’t help lots of times. We all can learn, everyone. Encouragement is key, again, my opinion.

Brianator and TechnoChicken like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2022, 11:17 pm

I'll be honest, it's why I didn't jump in and say anything.  The thread where you asked about the shock, I would consider 100% ok.  It's a case of (and this was not you) but I think the frustration in Mr.Modified's thread was the posts not sure assuming and it carried on and on even after there was an answer to your question.

Other projects

Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 12:12 am

Thanks Jerry.

Another idea, if someone doesn’t want discussion in their build thread (and I understand that completely) they could say so in the OP and if they want discussion separately from their build, they could also say so and create a discussion thread and put a link to it in the OP. That way, the builder has control of the thread. And it can be kept clean if they want it that way.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 12:17 am

I'll add my 2 cents, I'm partly responsible for this and won't hide from it! I made a comment in @Mr.Modifieds Build Off thread to hopefully stop the flow of unnecessary posts even though I knew it wasn't my place because it frustrated me to see it happening to his thread. Not only did it seem to backfire but when I noticed @Nevadablue took offense I instantly PM'd him to assure him it was not directed his way and that I felt his question was legitimate, my comment was just in hopes that people would realize it's not the time or place to carry on, it's not even my thread but I felt bad for him..

MightyRaze wrote:
Nothing more [frustrating] than being interested in a build, get 4 pages into a 7 page thread, to find out the originator bailed somewhere on page 5 because the topic got cluttered up with chasing rabbits.
I can't agree more with this statement! As one who has spent countless hours in an endeavor to read just about every worthwhile looking thread on this site (I'm about 70% of the way there now) I have not only bailed on reading some threads becasue of this exact reason but have also seen several abandoned because of it and noticed elsewhere that the build did continue but not the thread.

I do believe social media has played a part in the downfall of the forum mentality and I suppose that is a natural progression of things but I think what also does harm is the loss of unspoken forum etiquette, think of it almost like "table manners", there's a time and place for everything. The way I view it and try my best to carry myself is as follows, keep in mind that these are only my personal opinions but I believe they are good guidelines.

- Build Off Competition Threads should be taken seriously and treated with respect, it can be alot of work to do the build let alone the time required to document and post it all. Questions, comments and suggestions are always welcome but they're not an invitation to turn it into a conversation or for silly comments.

- Build threads should still be treated with respect but are a little looser, especially if the builder starts and or is engaging with the banter. Watch the builder for clues, if you notice they seem to ignore previous posts and carry on with their build chances are they're annoyed but unsure how to approach it without offending someone.

- If someone has started a thread to spitball a build idea and looking for input, suggestions and comments then it gets even looser.

- The Off-Topic and Non-Topic threads are *almost* anything goes (no politics, religion, slander ect. as per forum rules) and a good place to unload some witty banner or whatever is on your mind. They're also a good place to "pull someone aside" by tagging them and getting a conversation going about something you've seen in their build thread and have more than just a basic question.

I'm as guilty as the next guy of messing this up as sometimes I find myself so engaged in a topic I forget where I am! Lol. This is a fun place for us like minded tractor nuts and I consider you guys my "tractor friends" so let's all have fun while "treating others as you would want to be treated" and make this the coolest,  most baddest a$$ tractor forum the World Wide Web has ever seen (not like it already isn't!)

I'm sorry if I've offended anybody, overstepped my bounds or bored you with this rant,  not sure what else to say. ~Brian~

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 1:02 am

In response to all the cluttering up of my build thread, I would like to announce my permanent and immediate retirement from this and all future build offs... Nah just kidding. I actually don't mind it myself, whatever questions or discussion may go on is alright with me personally. A lot of times I'll go back through my build threads later to look for something or a certain pic I know is there, and I guess then you gotta scroll past a few things. But to me it's not a huge thing and that's sorta part of the discussion and all that. Sometimes It's good to see some different opinions and things too because you never know if you're gonna see something you didn't think of before. But anyway, I don't mind questions about things. No big deal.

Murraymountain, Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 8:04 am

mr.modified wrote:
In response to all the cluttering up of my build thread, I would like to announce my permanent and immediate retirement from this and all future build offs... Nah just kidding. I actually don't mind it myself, whatever questions or discussion may go on is alright with me personally. A lot of times I'll go back through my build threads later to look for something or a certain pic I know is there, and I guess then you gotta scroll past a few things. But to me it's not a huge thing and that's sorta part of the discussion and all that. Sometimes It's good to see some different opinions and things too because you never know if you're gonna see something you didn't think of before. But anyway, I don't mind questions about things. No big deal.
That was my attitude as well, I think the unnecessary posting may have come in the form of "That's a stupid question" and posts of the like, if you think a question is stupid, then ignore it, you don't need to say anything really, that's an opinion, an while I like opinions, I can decide for myself whether or not a question is stupid or not if that makes sense?
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 8:20 am

I guess the thing to ask before posting is “is this closely related to the build process or machine?”
Asking about shocks when somebody uses shocks (cause that’s what we’re referencing evidently) is just fine. I think the 9,000 posts that repeatedly explain what shocks are is redundant. Y’all are fine just my two cents. Do with them as you wish.

Murraymountain and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 9:58 am

[adm]Hey!  Let's keep this on topic about the alien base on the back side of the moon! [/adm]

lol!

Other projects

Brianator, Rustbucket Garage and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 4:04 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
[adm]Hey!  Let's keep this on topic about the alien base on the back side of the moon! [/adm]

lol!
Oh, yeah sorry Smile
I will be out with my telescope tonight to see if I can grab a picture of their operations, I think I spotted a nuclear silo last night?

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 6:01 pm

I have been commanded to tell you about random Let's talk. 252588580 website.com that you probably won’t visit and that serves absolutely no purpose except to scam you out of your social security number and dollar store credit card number. Go there and you can buy a yacht delivered to your front porch for $2.99! This is absolutely on topic and absolutely not a scam lmao!!!

I know I only have 1 post on my account but you can trust me because I am hoomin and not a robot and I can right graham-mat-ick-alley!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

And on the aliens… where do you think mosquitos come from? Lol.
Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 6:18 pm

I am currently busy researching...........HOW TO MAKE AN EFFECTIVE TINFOIL HAT

EDIT: almost got it, just got to work on my point, it looks sort of like a mushroom top or something.

HAHahahaha.....those aliens won't be able to read my thoughts and scramble my brain.....oh wow....shiny

TechnoChicken likes this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 7:19 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
I have been commanded to tell you about random Let's talk. 252588580 website.com that you probably won’t visit and that serves absolutely no purpose except to scam you out of your social security number and dollar store credit card number. Go there and you can buy a yacht delivered to your front porch for $2.99! This is absolutely on topic and absolutely not a scam lmao!!!

I know I only have 1 post on my account but you can trust me because I am hoomin and not a robot and I can right graham-mat-ick-alley!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

And on the aliens… where do you think mosquitos come from? Lol.
No way!!! a yacht for 2.99? I'm gonna go buy 150 and make 50 million bucks...
2 weeks later....
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 10:17 pm

[adm]A PERFECT example how a thread can get off topic.[/adm]

Let's talk. 845561842

Other projects

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2022, 10:27 pm

Let's talk. Thread10

Lol. Maybe what we need around here is an official "Thread Jack Thread" where the goal is to jack the $#!+ out of it and make a game of it! Thoughts people? Couldn't hurt right?

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2022, 6:50 am

That's sort of what the off topic thread was?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2022, 11:52 am

I don't know, but I do like to grill steaks and also eat baked potatoes!

Other projects

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2022, 12:15 pm

Let's talk. Facd7c10

Brianator and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2022, 2:37 pm

Brianator wrote:

Lol. Maybe what we need around here is an official "Thread Jack Thread" where the goal is to jack the $#!+ out of it and make a game of it! Thoughts people? Couldn't hurt right?

Done!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Let's talk. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk.   Let's talk. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's talk.
Page 1 of 1