All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Let's talk about penetrating oils!

Go down 
+4
TechnoChicken
FatMike
MightyRaze
Brianator
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Empty
PostSubject: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2022, 11:48 pm

What's your favorite go to? Do you buy off the shelf or make your own? Don't be shy, let's hear about it!

Some of the more popular I've seen and heard about are:
- PB Blaster
- Kroil
- Seafoam Deep Creep
- 50/50 mix of ATV and acetone
- Liquid Wrench
(I'll add to this list if lots of people are mentioning specific ones)

I've personally used PB Blaster and it was okay but I found Deep Creep is better. My favorite product is Pathfinder "Flow Torch" and I find it works really well but is hard to get ahold of because it can only be purchased from Pathfinder dealers. I've recently made a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and acetone and it works better than anything else I've ever tried! I used MMO because it's the thinnest oil I've ever seen, much thinner than ATF but I am planning on a side by side test in the near future on 2 equally rusted nuts/bolts that I'm sure I'll find kicking around somewhere.

The history is MMO is pretty neat you should have a read!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

I actually use a 50/50 mix of it and regular Seafoam in my small engines fuel occasionally to keep everything clean, I give a concentrated dose that I call my "cocktail" to rough running engines or ones that have been sitting for awhile and more often than not by the time the tank is half empty that carburetor is cleaned out and the engine is running much smoother!

There's some of my experiences, let's hear yours!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Last edited by Brianator on April 7th 2022, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

MN mudder likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 12:17 am

I have pretty good luck with liquid wrench.

Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Sig214Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Sig314
Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 12:32 am

For my rusty door hinges on our van I use a combination of marvel mystery oil and bar keepers friend toilet bowl cleaner in an empty 3-in-1 bottle approx 50-50 mix.

That is the only thing I've ever found that has ever penetrated those hinge pins and freed them up.
The bar keepers friend WILL dissolve the rust and the marvel mystery oil will get in and lubricate the hinge. After a treatment you can spray most any lubricant on the hinges and watch the rust run out.

The two don't actually mix because the barkeepers is water based but I just give the bottle a little shake and put several drops on and let it go to work and it works fairly quickly.

I just came up with this late last year but I will continue to use it on various things as needed to see how useful it is.

With rusty bolts/hardware I see the problem as being the rust which just fills in the voids between two whatever fasteners and locks it up so dissolve the rust and flush it out, lube it and things loosen up.

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 6:56 am

They sell this wicked stuff at the local parts store call "XX" and that's literally it, however that stuff works magic on rust and beats the snot out of WD-40
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 11:01 am

I’ve used liquid wrench forever. Works.

WD40 isn’t a lube or rust remover or even a penetrant. It is very useful, but not for any of those applications.
Back to top Go down
FlyFrog
FlyFrog

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 11:18 am

Brianator wrote:

I actually use a 50/50 mix of it and regular Seafoam in my small engines fuel occasionally to keep everything clean, I give a concentrated dose that I call my "cocktail" to rough running engines or ones that have been sitting for awhile and more often than not by the time the tank is half empty that carburetor is cleaned out and the engine is running much smoother!

Would that concentrated mix probably work for a 110 cc dirtbike engine, ive been having problems with it idling and and once it idles it doesnt wanna rev, i have to run with it when the clutch is pulled in and jump on let of the clutch while trying to give throttle but it slowly dies, the highspeed jet keeps getting clogged up, ive cleaned out the tank, filters and gas lines, would it at least help? and whats the mixture for high concentrate?
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 6:35 pm

Liquid Wrench has been added, I've used it also with moderate success.

@FatMike That's a pretty good sounding concoction I think I'd like to try it out myself! I had bought a 4 pack of these 300ml bottles with fine tips for pretty cheap so I could make my MMO/Acetone mix and try others also.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B094MZ7NYT

@TechnoChicken I've never heard of it, what's the parts store you got it from? Like a small mom and pops outfit or a chain? I think I might like to try me some!

@Nevadablue I agree about WD40, it's an excellent cleaner and does many things great but definitely isn't a penetrant, it is good for providing a little lube when loosening nuts from rusty bolts in a pinch though. You know it was actually designed for rockets and missles? "Water Displacement formula # 40"

@FlyFrog That mix or even just strait Seafoam will work on any engine, 2 or 4 stroke, gas or diesel, big or small give it to 'em all! Lol. The 2 are very similar in a sense they are both petroleum based detergents but MMO is an oil also and is the only one that you could run in all your fuel, all the time. Seafoam should only be used when required or a couple times a year as preventive maintenance.

With that said I don't know if it will cure your issue, I doubt it but it couldn't hurt to try some Seafoam at least. If your main jets are getting clogged there's something up or crud hiding somewhere that you haven't been able to get out or could even be the fuel line breaking down internally? I'd say a concentrated dose would be 25-30% of the fuel, I find if it's going to work that will be obvious in the first few minutes but it takes awhile to fully do its job, maybe up to a half gallon of fuel with it added.

I need to ask though, once you've torn down and cleaned everything does it run normal for a bit?

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)

Last edited by MightyRaze on June 11th 2022, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleaned so #1 does not show as hashtag links)
Back to top Go down
FlyFrog
FlyFrog

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2022, 6:47 pm

Brianator wrote:

I need to ask though, once you've torn down and cleaned everything does it run normal for a bit?

it runs fine for about 5 min riding then it starts acting up again, if i dont ride the bike for a few weeks and hop on it it runs fine for 2 or 3 days then acts up again, seafoam doesnt change anything for me, ive tried it in the tank, spraying in intake, both at same time and nothin, it has me lost...
Back to top Go down
rabbittrap

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2022, 10:29 am

I use knocker loose it works great

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2022, 7:29 pm

I've never heard of it but I'm sold just on the name alone! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
rabbittrap

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2022, 9:02 pm

knocker loose is made by crc my buddies work at a power house and they swear by it some stuff they use it on hasnt been opened in years and they swear it works thats all they use

Back to top Go down
MN mudder
MN mudder

2022 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2022, 11:57 am

speaking of penetrating oil /lube i actually used some good stuff on Saturday i cant find if the guy has a website or not but the name is bust n out works really good and smells good to! i got some info in my video.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about penetrating oils!    Talk - Let's talk about penetrating oils!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about penetrating oils!
Page 1 of 1