All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.

Go down 
+3
Rustbucket Garage
Brianator
willeee
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
willeee

Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 10:23 am

Brianator wrote:
@Murraymountain Sure you CAN pulley swap a hydro but increasing the engines governed speed by a couple hundred rpms will do the same thing but for free so I don't see the point in spending all the extra time and money, unless you have the parts laying around and want to experiment.

And yes @TechnoChicken the MTDs he's reffering to are Vari-Drive which I agree are much harder to pulley swap because the belts need to be the exact right length(s) or it won't function properly PLUS the proper belts are 11/16" and they're only available in very certain sizes. Others have offroaded their Vari-Drive even mudding them and haven't had any issues that a regular belt drive wouldn't, some guys have pulley swapped them and run 5/8" belts with no issues also so really it's all a matter of opinion I guess. One thing I really like about the Vari-Drive is that you can have it in top speed (7 on most) and control the speed with the clutch/brake pedal, as you push it down it drops the speeds so you can quickly slow down and then speed back up if you want!

As for hydros and offroading... I've been doing alot of testing with the Mud Duck the last few days, speed runs, climbing obstacles and stuff and it's working flawlessly! My neighbors tractor (which was a freebie) is also a hydro, we finally got it home today and did some testing with it and it's also working really well even with the open diff, it is a large heavy tractor though! (Craftsman DGT6000).

So many seem against hydros but they're actually very robust! If they're in good working order, maintained and cleaned regularly to keep them cool then they're going to last! No you're not going to do 30mph without damaging it but if you have modest goals of trail cruising and crawling over/around obstacles then they're actually better than gear driven, I can tell you personally that you have a heck of alot more control when crawling over things and can go from forward to reverse really quick! You want to go FAST, get a ATV or off road go kart! Lol.

I think alot of people that have bashed on anything that's not a gear drive are just scared of things that are different that they don't understand. There's so many different configurations and each one has it's strengths and weaknesses so @willeee I say have fun with your tractor and if it doesn't meet your expectations THEN consider selling or trading it!

Thank you once again Brianator!  You (and Mud Duck) got this thread rollin'!  Thanks for your valuable input, it's been one heck of an education for this Absolute Beginner.  I've decided to sell - "Abandon Ship!"  If you're interested in my reasoning, please see my reply below.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
willeee

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 10:28 am

I've decided to sell the Hydro.

I really considered just making the best of the Hydro mower to mod.  There are some options available, and my needs are simple.  However, I've decided to sell the Hydro and go looking for something better suited.  

THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed options, suggestions, and tips, and helped me make a well informed decision.  You have ALL been very generous with your time and expertise!  And Thank You Atltf!  

To recap:  I (a Total Beginner) saw your Amazing "Mower" Machines and your mechanical genius first on YouTube, then later on this super-cool forum.

Unfortunately, I watched the videos BEFORE finding Atltf.  I was so amazed and excited about the idea of owning an Off Road Mower, that I rushed out and bought a Riding Mower - unfortunately a "regular" mower with a Hydrostatic Transmission.  AFTERWARDS I found this forum and learned what modding mowers is really all about.

Your outstanding, detailed suggestions on how to proceed, to me, boiled down to:
1. Make do with a machine with a Hydro Transmission, and get the most out of it.
2. Sell this machine and find a better suited machine to modify.

For my situation, the decision is to sell and find a better-suited machine.

It's really awesome how you all came in to help me, offer options and ideas, and make it perfectly clear what could and could not be done.  You all have given me one heck of a Mower education!

I hope this thread helps the next Total Beginner that comes along.

Thank you everyone!

TechnoChicken likes this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 12:19 pm

No problem man, glad I could help, @mightyraze might end up dropping by and giving you a hand with the post deletion or something like that? Let us know what tractor you do end up buying, if you were down in Canada I'd definitely trade you a gear drive tractor for that rig but the drive down there is 40x the drive I'd be wanting to make Wink
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 12:50 pm

Nah, we'll leave it for another person who may be researching in the past. Maybe they will read all this and help them out too!

Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Sig214Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Sig314

Last edited by MightyRaze on May 16th 2022, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
willeee

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 1:14 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
Nah, well leave it for another person who may be researching in the past. Maybe they will read all this and help them out too!

Sorry Mighty, I was trying to delete a single post that I messed up. I couldn't figure out how to delete the post, so I just edited then erased everything and posted it with "trying to delete post". Yes, it would be great if it helped another newbie, maybe even guys that have been around a while.

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 3:17 pm

willeee wrote:
MightyRaze wrote:
Nah, well leave it for another person who may be researching in the past. Maybe they will read all this and help them out too!

Sorry Mighty, I was trying to delete a single post that I messed up.  I couldn't figure out how to delete the post, so I just edited then erased everything and posted it with "trying to delete post".  Yes, it would be great if it helped another newbie, maybe even guys that have been around a while.  

Sorry, I missed that.  You should be able to delete your own posts.  In the top right of the post should be a trashcan.  You can delete it there.  If not, I can take care of it.  It appears you already have per your post.  Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 2240318088

Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Sig214Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Sig314

Back to top Go down
willeee

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 3:38 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
willeee wrote:
MightyRaze wrote:

Sorry Mighty, I was trying to delete a single post that I messed up.  I couldn't figure out how to delete the post, so I just edited then erased everything and posted it with "trying to delete post".  Yes, it would be great if it helped another newbie, maybe even guys that have been around a while.  

Sorry, I missed that.  You should be able to delete your own posts.  In the top right of the post should be a trashcan.  You can delete it there.  If not, I can take care of it.  It appears you already have per your post.  Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 2240318088

Thanks, didn't see the trash can.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2022, 6:47 pm

willeee wrote:
Thank you once again Brianator!  You (and Mud Duck) got this thread rollin'!  Thanks for your valuable input, it's been one heck of an education for this Absolute Beginner.  I've decided to sell - "Abandon Ship!"  If you're interested in my reasoning, please see my reply below.

No problem at all, glad I could help! I hope you're able to profit a few extra bucks off it so you have more tractor money! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.   Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie beginner hoping for some guidance.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2