All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
New Awards system! Look for your award at 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 7500, and 10000 Posts!!!

Mutant turtle

Go down 
+4
MightyRaze
Brianator
JittyJat
fbisurveilancevan
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
fbisurveilancevan

Mutant turtle - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2022, 5:10 am

Some more bushing swapping Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20107
New v idler set to guide it past the steering shaft
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20105
I didn't put it on the lift so this will have to do.
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20106
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2022, 5:22 am

So yeah the belt was too long now but I actually managed to get three idlers in crucial areas and thatll reduce most of the floppy belt syndrome and keep it where I want it.

I actually already changed my mind on that pulley I made the first time and whent with one that was about a half inch larger.

Most time was spent on figuring out how to route the belt around the transaxle pulley.
I decided that the best way would be to route it through an idler before and after.
So I made a plate to hold those pulleys and now iam off to the beach

Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20108

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2022, 9:41 am

Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img-2011

I just made a little doodle, the 3 arrows are the pulleys that get added.

Could always use some opinions but I won't work until Sunday so speak now or forever hold your silence Surprised

Also, finally found the perfect suspension setup, minimal effort and really compact.
If I could simply cut it out of the frame in one piece I should be able to simply weld it on to the frame minus the hydraulic motor.

Just need to get permission to cut one up

Mutant turtle - Page 3 Screen20
Back to top Go down
JittyJat
JittyJat

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2022, 3:24 am

fbisurveilancevan wrote:
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img-2011

I just made a little doodle, the 3 arrows are the pulleys that get added.

Could always use some opinions but I won't work until Sunday so speak now or forever hold your silence Surprised

Also, finally found the perfect suspension setup, minimal effort and really compact.
If I could simply cut it out of the frame in one piece I should be able to simply weld it on to the frame minus the hydraulic motor.

Just need to get permission to cut one up

Mutant turtle - Page 3 Screen20
Id Subjest something like this, that way there's not so much force being pulled on that pulling side of the idler pulley, the larger rectangle around the belt is a belt gard to keep the belt from falling off , you can put them around your pulleys for extra insurance, granted it would have to be made of c channel or angle iron. And dont use any pulley smaller than a 5in or 12.7cm if you do a 1:1 pulley ratio which it looks like you will do. Also you can fit another idler pulley on the “loose” (clutch) side of the belt near the transaxle, just don't want to put any on the pulling side cus they will go through bearings like no other Mutant turtle - Page 3 Image012

fbisurveilancevan likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2022, 9:51 am

No, the rear pulley is 3.75 I know that this is on the small side but there's little I could have done about this.
But keep in mind that there is no rain or mud here 6 months a year.

Secondly on these ones the belt needs to pass through the steering bracket and alongside the steering shaft.

The pulling side needs a pulley anyway because the original transaxle had the pulley in the centre and the new transaxle has it offset.
Without a pulley I would run into all sorts of issues there with the controls. And the steering shaft
I could run an idler with a larger size to mitigate the problem there.

Thanks for the ideas though because there are some things I will have to keep in mind.
Also most of these pulleys will be replaced with better ones after I can get it driving
Back to top Go down
JittyJat
JittyJat

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2022, 4:30 am

fbisurveilancevan wrote:
No, the rear pulley is 3.75 I know that this is on the small side but there's little I could have done about this.
But keep in mind that there is no rain or mud here 6 months a year.

Secondly on these ones the belt needs to pass through the steering bracket and alongside the steering shaft.

The pulling side needs a pulley anyway because the original transaxle had the pulley in the centre and the new transaxle has it offset.
Without a pulley I would run into all sorts of issues there with the controls. And the steering shaft
I could run an idler with a larger size to mitigate the problem there.

Thanks for the ideas though because there are some things I will have to keep in mind.
Also most of these pulleys will be replaced with better ones after I can get it driving
Oh thats right I completely forgot that your in Israel, so your belt routing would probably be best if you need to move the belt that much, just make shure that your belt is supported a bunch considering your running that small of a pulley, also whats the terrain like over there because that will play a factor in belt work and pulley size aswhell. If i knew what terrain you plan to drive across/through i might be able to aid you some more.

fbisurveilancevan likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2022, 5:18 am

That's a final mock up.
I'll be driving very hard packed mud

JittyJat likes this post

Back to top Go down
JittyJat
JittyJat

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2022, 11:47 pm

fbisurveilancevan wrote:

That's a final mock up.
I'll be driving very hard packed mud
Looks pretty good, have you gotten a chance to test it yet? Or top speed?
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2022, 3:34 am

Not yet, theres still a lot of little ends to be tied up.

Engine is waiting on the carb.
Controls need to be made and/or modified.
Transaxle subframe is waiting on parts.
Pulleys need to be finished up and some paintwork on the parts.
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2022, 1:15 am

So, amazon is late again for the second time this month so iam stuck.
Getting parts here is just a bloody nightmare.
There are some parts here but I don't speak the language that well to be bothered with that.

That being said iam just focusing on the little things and reusing whatever I can.
Luckily we have piles of nos parts.

So on this episode of the little things in life, we are repurposing a cable adjuster.
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20109
Second times a charm, needed to use some more heat to take the crimp out.
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20110
Clean and annealed and ready for when my parts arrive

Brianator, Rustbucket Garage and JittyJat like this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2022, 5:38 am

Got the gear selector figured out.
I used the old deck left mechanism and adapted it.
Took a couple of tries to get the handle shortened and the spring to work properly.

JittyJat likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2022, 7:53 am

Also managed to chisel out the old brake pad, can't believe it was that stuck.
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20111
And that's the brake finished
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20112
Also welded some stand offs for the idler pulleys and gave the plate a quick spray so that's all done
Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20113

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 28th 2022, 9:52 am

Mutant turtle - Page 3 Img20114

Close up of the spring on the gear selector.
Took it out today to figure out how to connect it to the gear.
I'll weld a tab tomorrow morning and then just figure out the linkage.

Then I still have the brake to be connected and can call this finished

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2022, 4:34 am

Mail time.

Just did a sh*t unboxing, lovely bit of kit so far

MightyRaze and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mutant turtle
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: