All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Poor decisions.

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2024, 1:54 pm

Soooooooooo...... I just ordered a seized up Tecumseh HM100. Why, I do not know. I have an HM80 with a cool inspection window in the block, and it has a lot of good parts on it. I want to build an engine for my big Ariens rear tire tiller (thing is huge). The HM80 was its original engine. Any pointers on optimizing one of these flatheads for maximum low end torque? I have a Briggs 825 on it now, and though it's a great engine, it doesn't have enough power to drive the tines and keep the tiller moving slow. I have to run it wide open to drive the tines with enough force, but then it moves too fast, and bounces across the ground. The wheels and tines are geared together, so no options there. I know there are better options out there, but this is what I have to work with. I also just love building engines, and jump at every chance I get.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2024, 1:06 pm

Best you can do is make it flow better, really. Open up and smooth out the ports, there’s almost always room to improve flow on a small engine

Ifitaintbroke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2024, 4:50 pm

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Best you can do is make it flow better, really. Open up and smooth out the ports, there’s almost always room to improve flow on a small engine
I know I'm not very good about it, but I'll try to chronicle this adventure with pics.
Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2024, 8:27 pm

Engine came in today, and I'm am pleased to report that it was NOT locked up as the seller stated. There was a large dried wad of plant matter between the flywheel and coil. Removed that, and the engine turned over fine. No compression, and the oil looked like chocolate milk, but I think it's worth a shot! About to order gaskets and rings.
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2024, 8:26 am

> but then it moves too fast, and bounces across the ground.

Maybe some weight to help itt dig in?

On my tiller, the wheels move it forward as the tines try to drag it back, so, it basically sits and digs.

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2024, 9:37 pm

JB_4x4 wrote:

Maybe some weight to help itt dig in?

On my tiller, the wheels move it forward as the tines try to drag it back, so, it basically sits and digs.

I just came up with an insane idea to make a reverse rotation gearbox out of a blown up diff I have. It would go between the "transmission" and time drive. I'm brainstorming furiously.
Back to top Go down
ranch king pro 08
ranch king pro 08

2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2024, 12:25 am

@Ifitaintbroke I don't mean to be stupid but how would that engage the ground properly if it's spinning backwards?
Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2024, 6:56 am

ranch king pro 08 wrote:
@Ifitaintbroke I don't mean to be stupid but how would that engage the ground properly if it's spinning backwards?
Because it's being dragged forwards by the wheels. The tines dig into the ground better.

ranch king pro 08 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ranch king pro 08
ranch king pro 08

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2024, 2:03 pm

@Ifitaintbroke ok that makes much more sense Lol.

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2024, 3:00 pm

make and model or a picture would be nice ...

FWIW: Is the depth gauge in place? Upon further thinking it sounds as if the tiller is in transport mode. There should be a handle that raises and lowers a vertical metal rod. That rod determines how well and deep the tines dig.

It raises the tines about the surface so just the wheels have traction. Tilling forward (lift slightly up) when going across cement prevents the tines from hitting pavement.

Skipping is transport mode so you do not have to roll it. Once you get it where you want you raise that rod about an inch, do a pass. Then raise it again to go deeper. Once you get to about 3-4" inches deep, you can try the full 6-8" deep in one pass, if you need it that deep..

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2024, 7:48 pm

JB_4x4 wrote:
make and model or a picture would be nice  ...

>  but then it moves too fast, and bounces across the ground.

FWIW:  Is the depth gauge in place?  Upon further thinking it sounds as if the tiller is in transport mode.  There should be a handle that raises and lowers a vertical metal rod.  That rod determines how well and deep the tines dig.

It raises the tines about the surface so just the wheels have traction.  Tilling forward (lift slightly up) when going across cement prevents the  tines from hitting pavement.

Skipping is transport mode so you do not have to roll it.  Once you get it where you want you raise that rod about an inch, do a pass.  Then raise it again to go deeper.  Once you get to about 3-4" inches deep, you can try the full 6-8" deep in one pass, if you need it that deep..

Yes, I use the bar. The problem is that the tines are very, and I mean VERY worn down. They don't cut well. But the backsides of them would. Model is an 80ish Ariens RT7020, commonly referred to as a "Rocket". Sure ain't no rocket.
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2024, 9:33 pm

If your tiller is gear driven, you might have a system where the tines slide off a keyed shaft and you might be able to replace them either with the same or from another OEM.
Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2024, 6:52 am

JB_4x4 wrote:
If your tiller is gear driven, you might have a system where the tines slide off a keyed shaft and you might be able to replace them either with the same or from another OEM.
That should be the case, and I tried and got all but the inner on one side. It wouldn't come off, and I gave up. Counter rotation, is so much better, plus I want something to mess with.
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2024, 10:00 am

> got all but the inner on one side

It might be staked with a roll pin to prevent it from pushing inward, if a collar/stop is not molded into the shaft. I think I encountered that on a front tine Craftsman.

> plus I want something to mess with

That is how I get something I really wanted :-)

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2024, 11:54 am

JB_4x4 wrote:
That is how I get something I really wanted :-)
Exactly. I want one with counter rotating tines, SO I'M GONNA GET ONE!

JB_4x4 and ranch king pro 08 like this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2024, 7:37 pm

Rebuild kit is ordered. Carb will be soon.

ranch king pro 08 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2024, 10:08 am

Carb is on the way. Got one for $12. Grin

MightyRaze and ranch king pro 08 like this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2024, 11:05 am

Got the engine torn down completely. Bore looks good, and ready to hone. Started porting, and things got a little crazy.  Poor decisions. 1098998679
Poor decisions. 20240612
Poor decisions. 20240611
Poor decisions. 20240610
Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2024, 11:08 am

Poor decisions. 20240613
Prolly took too much out on the intake, but i couldn't help myself.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2024, 1:18 pm

Looks fine, hard to make it worse than stock. What’s the head look like?

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2024, 9:08 am

Looks fine, hard to make it worse than stock. What’s the head look like?
Poor decisions. 20240614
Poor decisions. 20240615
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2024, 10:55 am

You might try “unshrouding” where the valves pop up in the head, so that air has more room to flow out around the valves instead of just one direction towards the piston. Did that on my oppy heads.

@Wheelinhorse mentions it in this video at about 9:30. This video series is a must watch for anybody messing with these old flatheads.

MightyRaze and Ifitaintbroke like this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2024, 8:56 pm

You might try “unshrouding” where the valves pop up in the head, so that air has more room to flow out around the valves instead of just one direction towards the piston. Did that on my oppy heads.

@Wheelinhorse mentions it in this video at about 9:30. This video series is a must watch for anybody messing with these old flatheads.
Pretty good stuff there. Can wrap my gulliver round most of it. Hard to judge what to remove without viddying what it looks like
Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2024, 3:57 pm

Decided to wing it, and figured the best I could do is match it to the gasket. Here's what I came up with:Poor decisions. 20240617
Poor decisions. 20240619
Ended up removing more on the exhaust side, as there was more to work with. Mainly just cleaned up the intake side and smoothed the transition to the piston side.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2024, 5:16 pm

Not bad, almost guaranteed to help, theres almost no way to make these flow worse than factory without doing something really crazy. It’s hard to offer advice on whether to cut more or not, it’s the kind of thing you gotta see in person. Looking forward to seeing it run!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Poor decisions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor decisions.   Poor decisions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poor decisions.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next