All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)

Go down 
+3
W1ldyOvvnZ
truckin42
gearheadmike
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Empty
PostSubject: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 10:28 pm

Well im starting to build a lifted mudder tractor i started off with a toro 13/38 hydro tractor i got for $40 i stripped everything down to the frame as basicly thats all i wanted it for, im keeping the 13hp off it and prob going to use that for this build.The body is what i think is a 77 sears. It's going to be both belt and chain drive i got a 3spd&reverse gearbox its a foote just got that all apart/cleaned/regreased/back together. Im looking for a atv/3wheeler rear axle assy to use and im going to prob build my own front axle. Im going to run 22 in front tires and prob 25 in the rear or 25 front and 27 rear lol.

I still got tons todo small list off of the top of my head.
-Build body mounts for frnt/rear body
-Install /fit gearbox in
-Build motor mount/plate as current one is a offset one
-Build running boards for my feet
-Find/Mod in a rear axle
-Build the front and rear axle drop brackets
-Make custom front axle or use original?
-Seat
-Install engine
-Build custom exhaust
-pulley swap
-Build Bumpers
-Etc

As you can tell is basic start from scratch build lol Im going to try and get as many pics and videos as i can.

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Taredo10
Toro 13hp/38in cut hydro drive getting ready for tare down
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Taredo11
Stripping it down to bare bones lol
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) 13hp10
13 HP flathead quite engine im going to reuse in this tractor
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Taredo12
Down to the frame just the rear peice and hydro trans left to remove
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Gearbo10
My 3spd gearbox im using its a Foote
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Gearbo11
Nast a$$ $hit lol deff getting refreshend
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Gearbo12
Had to clean and service the shift forks
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Gearbo13
Gearbox cleaned and ready for new grease
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Gearbo14
The gearbox all assembled and ready to go
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Body_t10
The body just sitting on the frame
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Body_r10
As you can see the rear body fits perfectly on the frame Very Happy

Last edited by gearheadmike on December 21st 2012, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 11:22 pm

Hey cool project u got there,that gearbox looked pretty nastey inside.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 11:30 pm

nice project,seems like the Toros are being used more for mudders:P Fearless, me, then you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 4:33 am

Thanks and yeah i know lol
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 10:38 am

Nice start you got there. Are you going to be lifting it up since its a mudder, if so how high?
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 10:51 am

Yea im going to lift it i just dont know how high yet. I dont want it to high where its going to be top heavy but then i want it to be able to clear the tires and have that lifted stance lol
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2012, 7:14 pm

Small update decided im only using the sears hood/grill/rear fenders and dash the center body i far to rusty. Im going to be using a agway tunnel and foot boards.
I decided to go with a 10'' lift as i dont need nothing to huge lol. Im just currently trying to decide if i want the axle to pivot or leave it solid.?
The drop support is 1/4'' angle long with support bars that are going to run back to the frame. Im going to run 22'' tires on it all the way around.
The front axle was originally in front of the frame but i moved it back 4'' so its more under the front of the engine.

Checking to see where i want to weld it
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Axle_s10
1/4 should be plentty strong lol
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Axle_s11
testing where about the axle will sit if i got with a solid axle
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Front_10
These are the tires i will be using for now
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Mud_ti10
As you can see with my axle moved back it looks normal as if i were to keep it forward of the frame
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Checki10
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2012, 6:02 pm

Worked on the tractor some today after deciding to go with a piviot front axle i redid the design i relized 1/4 is to mush of a pain to work with. So today i picked up some 2in angle 1/8 thick and figured out my front drop i still have to add my support bar that runs to the frame to the axle kinda like a sideways triangle lol
Im going to run a basic piviot point in center where i drilled the holes. Im going to use a grade 8 3/4 bolt and in the axle it how its going to have brass bushings so they can be replaced.
Im then going to get a set of shocks and mount one on each side. The lift is a 10'' lift to the top of the axle shoud be good enough.
Now i have to build a front axle im not sure if i should go with 2x2in box or 2x3in box? Any ideas the spindles are going to be stock new 3/4. As im going to use bearing hubs on them.

Had to cut angle iron to fit frame better
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Lift_k10
marking out where i need to weld it
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Lift_k11
tacked up into place
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Lift_k12
3/4 hole drilled
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Lift_k14
basic idea how its going to work with the right shocks ill still have some good travle
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Lift_k15
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 7:44 pm

Update i gess lol i got to get some pics up here tomarrow , anyways i got the gear box mounted and placed where i want it,got the shifter on it cut and re welded. Aslo got the front grill support brackets welded on and just got the mounds made for the engine just have to drill some more holes and bolt engine down. Also got the body fitted on and clearing everything. Been a little low onf funds $$ lol so i have to wait on the front axle and rear axle. Thinking of going with the 1'' x 36'' solid axle then i can get good brake set up mounted and it will all be adjustable. Also got the clutch set up kinda planted in my head of how i want it. so thats next after engine being mounted.
Been tring to thing what a good pullet ratio would be as i got that 3spd gearbox and its both belt and chain drive.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 12:33 pm

Just some random pics and ideas of what i want t odo once i get the cash to pay for the new front and rear axle setup

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) RearAxleSetup2_zpsc9f6b844
Rear Axle Setup Idea I wanna do for this tractor

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) FrontSuspensionidea
This is the front axle with the shocks basic idea how im going to do it

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Frontaxleidea
Front axle building it from scratch new steel/bushings/spindles/etc

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121228_175711_zps119127e7
About as direct as you can get lol off a old atv i junked

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121227_184454_zps8adad318
Random pic of the gearbox under the body

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121227_184336_zps553d3314
Pic showin where the shifter is going to be

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121227_184319_zpsdd9207b9
Body sitting on the frame

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121226_220322_zps6f52b3c5
Just random pic of one of the body mounts and front lift support

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121226_220119_zps7c206b2b
The agway body im using now insted of the sears

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121226_220107_zps2d4e8861
The mounts made up for the grill to attach to

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121226_220056_zps93185ced
Front drop of 10''

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20121226_220039_zps991b65c3
random pic of the gear box mounted and the frame work which is all removable

Once i get some money i can start on front axle and rear axle and the steering. Cause with out the front axle i cant mock up the steering with out the steering in place i cant mock up the clutch lol so im at the waiting point lol

Last edited by gearheadmike on December 29th 2012, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 1:23 pm

Very nice! I would suggest going 3/4 or 1 inch for the front spindles, 5/8 is pretty light duty. I have bent 3/4 inch spindles and wasn't really abusing it much.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 3:25 pm

Yeah haha i messed up im using a 5/8 grade 8 bolt and 3/4 spindles lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 4:25 pm

I used 3/4" bolts for a pair of custom spindles on my mod murray - i might scratch my setup and use hiem joints for ultimate adjustment with the steering setup - i used a MTD front axle as the base ( murray had too many bends in the stock front axle to work for lowering).

Im all set on my GT murray offroad - thing has 1" stock front spindles and 1" rear axles already.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 4:58 pm

Yea i was thinking heim joints but theres no point in having them as i dnt need ajustment on a mudder and yea the original front axle to the toro frame sucked full of factory holes and weak looking thats y im going with a solid wall 2x3 box for strength. And its getting a direct steer setup.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 6:17 pm

Quick Video of me blabering about it and that lol

https://youtu.be/bw_0JVYY3_0
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2012, 1:30 pm

Id use the hiem joints to hold the spindle in - then the camber can be adjusted as needed ( how the wheels splay out top/bottom) for best traction.

Hiem joints on a moveable suspension are just for keeping the axle in place, but allow more flexing - no binding.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 7:04 pm

yea only thing is my spindles are going stright through the ends of the box steel unlike the racers run them on the outsides
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 10:27 pm

Update on the Mud Mutt i got the front axle done with all holes drilled and bushings instlled and actually sitting on the ground with front tires on it lol, Got the steering all worked out. Its got a direct steering set up with an hight adjustment for the steering shaft. I welded up 2 spots i missed on the front frame and got the steering bearing supports welded in. Now im working on getting the clutch pedel setup along with a new duel clutch insted of the original single. Im still deciding if i want to heat and twist the arm from the spindles or if i want to cut them off and reweld them on an angle to allow more room for my tierod.
Well heres some pics of the steering and a video of the update.

Steering setup from and old atv i cut up, i installed a bearing with supports at the bottom of this
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Pict0010

Another bearing added on the underside of dash alot better then the stock plastic one
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Pict0011

top view u can see the bracket for the handle bars from the atv
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Pict0012

Handle bars i found in the junk yard im going to shorten them down some as there a little wide
build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Pict0013

Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 11:18 pm

HOLY $HIT time for a much needed update lol.

Well not a large amount done but enough lol

Got some important rear parts i needed axle/hubs/sprocket/brake/bearings/steel/etc

I got my 2x2- 1/8th in steel and fabed up my rear lift frame,got it all tacked into place to make sure everything is fitting right be4 putting down solid welds lol.

Got clutch set all up in in working order just need to find right tension spring and maybe some little tlc on it, had to fab a custom greasable holder for my clutch pedal got the front steering shaft setup with bearing just need to buy or make my new tie rods.
Got some springboxes made up just need to make 2 more for the top.
Just ordered a sprocket for the gearbox and just got some #40 chain at local tsc.

Anyways its coming together a little at a time lol heres some pics you can also follow me at my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/s12gearhead?feature=mhee

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130117_125642

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130116_122649

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130116_122913

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130116_122720

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130116_122726

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130116_122751

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130306_145512_zpsc5eca100

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130306_145421_zpsf57842ca

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130309_115554_zps67eb7214

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130309_131708_zpsbe58f743

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130309_131946_zps2514e8d7

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130322_114340_zps90561de0

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130322_113012_zpsaf046233

build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) IMG_20130322_123625_zps74064d71
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 11:26 am

Looks good.
Its got a good bit of ground clearance so far.
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2013, 11:27 pm

Nice I'm wanting to do this I found one of those gear boxes can't wait to see it work!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)   build - lifted Mudder Build  Project  (Mud Mutt) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lifted Mudder Build Project (Mud Mutt)
Page 1 of 1