All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!

Go down 
+29
crazykid1994
k2500life
numbnutz
muddstir
Ddwannabe
mudmonkey06
redlinemotorsportts
Kel
WellThatsSurprising
SkiLLz
redneck999
genegillis5
xxXMowerdudeXxx
dylansrockinrigs
Chopperhed
gearheadmike
Thunderdivine
Murray modder
richie thomas
TheRainbowBoxer
Tractor Man Jeff
matthew sidor
truckin42
avrappy
Stretch44875
THE MTD GUY
Doug
W1ldyOvvnZ
fireman
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
fireman

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 10 Mar 2013, 12:46 pm

genegillis5,
The amount of lift is different from the front end to the rear end. I took a ton of measurements before I started and created a drawing in a CAD program I have. I worked with the CAD program to figure out what it would take to get the frame to sit level. The program gave me the numbers. Unless your tractor is the exact same model as mine I don't know if my numbers will work for you seeing as every tractor is probably different. How much lift I gave it was just an arbitrary number based on the drawing I made in the CAD program of how I wanted it to look. You may want to go higher than I did which would be a different amount of lift in inches. I believe for the rear I went up 9 3/4". Once the rear was lifted, I jacked up the front of the frame till it was level with the rear and figured out how high I needed to cut the pieces to lower the front axle so it was even with the rear axle.

If you want something that's done right, it's not just as simple as cutting a piece of metal and welding it in place. I spent a few hours taking measurements to assure that both axles were on the exact same plane as well as the frame being level when I install the same size tires all the around. I am a bit of perfectionist when I build something and probably more so than most. Unless you have access to a CAD program or can draw and do the calculations on paper, you will have to mock everything up. My advice to you is take your time and measure twice and cut and weld once. Get the tractor jacked up in the air to a height that is to your liking. You will need to know what size tires and rims you want to run so you will know were the front and rear axles will have to end up (In reality, you are lowering the axles in order to raise the tractor.). Once you are happy with how it looks in the air, then unbolt the rear end and get it set in place at the height that matched your rims and tires. Now measure the distance you need to make up. Once that is done, move to the front and repeat the same process. I not only ran the numbers, I also did the mock up method to double check everything.

This may not be the best way, or the way others have done it. It's what worked for me and you can see by the pictures and the video it seemed to work well.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 10 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

Looks and sounds awesome! Very nice build. Now you gotta paint up your new steel.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 10 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

Doug,
I really want this to be a "LOW" budget project. So far to date I only have about $300 into and that includes the tractor. I still have to get tires which in orger to get four of the exact same I am going to get new ones. The best price I have found for 4 brand new 23X9.50-12" turf is $256 delivered. The paint on the body is in really great condition. I am going to have a friend who is a detailer compound and buff it out. I am going to repaint all the metal I added and welded on black. The transmission will have something done to it also.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 10 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

Looks great.
Very clean build.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm

Got the tires ordered today. Should be here by Friday. Hopefully the spindles will be here tomorrow and I can get them bored out this week.

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Tires_zps18a854f5
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Mar 2013, 10:33 am

Are those for the rear?
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

Same tire and size going on all 4 corners.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Mar 2013, 4:34 pm

Oh ok.
Back to top Go down
redneck999
redneck999

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Mar 2013, 11:42 pm

What type rims will you be using?
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Mar 2013, 8:24 am

redneck999,
If you go to the first page of this thread there is a picture of the rims.
Back to top Go down
redneck999
redneck999

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

Yeah i had a brain fart.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Mar 2013, 8:57 am

Looks awesome, defiantly needs bigger tires to complete the look, lol
Back to top Go down
SkiLLz

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

Awesome build..you take alot of pride in your work..I like that..keep it up!
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

Still no spindles and hubs for the front. I got them off of Ebay and they were supposed to be here by this past Monday. I have emailed the seller and haven't heard back from him. I went and checked his feedback and this seems to be his MO. He offers free free shipping but takes his sweet A-- time! You can bet i'm gonna leave less than average feedback. He's holding up the build. I'm at a stand still till they get here.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

Hate it when people on ebay do that. I always make note of checking feedback before buying.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

Wait wait, If you have all four tires the exact same size, and it sits level with the front smaller than the rear, wont you have a dragster incline? (front end is lower than the rear)
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Murray modder,
It you read carefully thru the thread again, you will see that I accounted for that in my calculations. The amount of lift I added to the front is different from the rear. With the same size tires it will be sitting level.

The tires and spindles/hubs actually showed up today. I ran over to Mavis Tire and had them mount the tires on the rims. Then I headed home to figure out how much I have to cut of the spindle to have the tires spaced properly and not hit when they turn. I will give them to my friend to modify tomorrow when I go to work.

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 DSCN0111_zps3025b883

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 DSCN0110_zps910ea198

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 DSCN0109_zps4a411038

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 DSCN0108_zps6895a15c
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Mar 2013, 6:14 pm

I like those rims they look good on it.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Mar 2013, 8:39 pm

I think it's gonna look Bad Azz when it's done!
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013, 5:33 pm

Got the spindles bored out so tomorrow it will be a marathon in the shop. I should be able to get the front end completed!
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013, 5:36 pm

fireman wrote:
Got the spindles bored out so tomorrow it will be a marathon in the shop. I should be able to get the front end completed!

nice!
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013, 5:37 pm

Ok sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Kel
Kel

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.xtrememowermayhem.com
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013, 6:54 pm

cant wait to see it when its done
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

Got home and assembled hub and spindle and slid it on the old spindle. Cut out a piece of 1" X 1/4" steel bar to weld in as a gusset to strengthen it up so it doesn't end up bending. Looks great! Can't wait to hit the shop tomorrow and get cracking. I should the front done by noon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next