All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

trouble with my starting system on my gilson

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

trouble with my starting system on my gilson Empty
PostSubject: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2014, 9:09 pm

i wired up my Gilson today with a push button system that works fine, but at first it didn't want to crank. I finally got it to crank, but the battery seemed weak. I hooked up a battery charger to it, and I don't know if running the engine with the charger still on the battery caused this, but the red battery cable got warm and melted the solenoid. I put another one in which solved my weak cranking problem but then the solenoid got stuck, constantly cranking the engine. at this point, im sick of messing with these little solenoids and im getting one made for a big tractor tomorrow as they seem to work better for me. any other ideas on things I should check?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2014, 9:11 pm

Sounds like something couldnt handle the amperage of the battery. Might need a truck solenoid or something. Also check your wiring to see if its shorting anywhere.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2014, 9:20 pm

Kinda sounds like you had a short somewhere, something wired wrong. You could have 6 truck batteries wired in parallel, and nothing should melt. The starter draws what it requires, NOT what the battery is capable of delivering. A bad or loose connection can jack up the current draw, too.
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2014, 9:21 pm

hopefully a tractor solenoid will fix it I run one in one of my murrays and ive never had a problem out of it. ill also check the wiring though.
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2014, 7:58 pm

Update: today I found a couple of things wired incorrectly and fixed them. seemed to work fine but still didn't have enough amps to crank the motor. I usually buy the cheapest batteries possible (not anymore!) and it was only rated at like 150 cca. I took it back and got a duralast with 230 cca so hopefully that will fix the problem. other than that it runs and drives fine so ill post some pics of it and the murray.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 11:07 am

A bad starter can draw a high amount of juice and shorten the life of the solenoid significantly (and also make it seem like the battery is weak). I'd check the starter first, then move on to replacing the burnt stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trouble with my starting system on my gilson   trouble with my starting system on my gilson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trouble with my starting system on my gilson
Page 1 of 1