All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Different front axles and widths?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Front - Different front axles and widths? Empty
PostSubject: Different front axles and widths?   Front - Different front axles and widths? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 8:13 am

I have an 18hp Craftsman II GT 3spd Hi/Lo, and im wanting to widen the front axle. If it comes down to it, i can do it myself, as in cut the axles, add in an inch or 2 of box tubing, and weld it all back up with some bracing. Id like to go about 2in per side wider, but leeway is always there, id rather not go less than an inch wider, but i dont want more than 5in wider per side.

Right now my front axle is about 21in from center to center, midway up the housing. Id like to find an option or 2 of a wider axle to stick under it, before i go cutting mine up. I also like the shape of some of the other axles. Like a Bolens i saw, had a cast iron ^ shape to it, for more center clearance. If i found something like that, i could ditch my lift as its purpose would be no longer required. I dont really care about the material, i dont mind stamped/welded or cast iron since il be driving slow most the time. I just want more track width.

Anyone know of an axle or has an axle they would want to sell? The bushing size in the center is not that big of a concern, i have access to a lathe and can make one to fit my mount. Id also prefer the steering arms to be on the bottom of the axle, but again, i could work with either if i couldnt use my spindles.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Different front axles and widths?   Front - Different front axles and widths? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 10:09 am

In terms of width, I think they are all closely the same.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Different front axles and widths?   Front - Different front axles and widths? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 12:29 pm

Ive been looking at various ones. Some by proportion look wider, and some narrower. Like i said i only need 2-6in overall, there has to be some model with a front axle wider than 21in.

I dont own a welder, so extending my axle is kind of a last resort since i have to truck all my stuff to my friends house. Id much rather spend $30-$70 on a wider front axle, than widen mine. I just dont know what models to look at. A JD210 looks wider than mine, but some of the JD stuff mounts different, some looks like it mounts the same.

If anyone with a tractor with a pivot front axle has a min, could you measure your front axle width somewhere roughly in the middle because of the camber on the kingpins, and post what make and model?

At least then id get an idea rather than just blindly looking at proportions of different ones on ebay that dont give any dimensions.

Heck, if someone wants a brand new pair of DWT MXR V3 18x10x8 tires, il ship em to you with my axle in trade for it to be widened and shipped back.
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Different front axles and widths?   Front - Different front axles and widths? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 1:36 pm

Like for instance this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craftsman-GT-5000-Tractor-Front-Axle-Spindles-/370988864206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5660a8d2ce
 Tractor data lists the GT5000 as 5in wider than my rig, could this axle be wider too?  Why are there never any dimensions on the axles?  I also looked at some of the racing axles.  The solid rectangular tubing with 2 heim joints bolted to the ends, would they hold up to a 21in tall tire, or are they only for the little guys they use for racing?

A couple beers and some peer pressure led to killing the cutoff disk on my grinder and essentially making my current front axle useless.  C'mon, just cut the ends off, stick some box inside and weld it back up, sure...

Now i have an axle that fine on one side and cut off 75% around the other side where i wanted to widen it.  The only part not cut is the bottom.

So im not really sure what im going to do.  Im kind of out of luck.  I think i might buy that gt5000 axle just because i need an axle now too.  And $50 is pretty good, thats only twice what it costs round trip in gas to use my friends welder.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Different front axles and widths?   Front - Different front axles and widths? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 1:57 pm

Sometimes if you message the seller, they will actually measure them for you.

The racer axles wont hold up to offroading I dont think. Could be wrong.

BTW, this is the welder I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330748599419?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Flux core, inexpensive, and MIG. Just uses a regular house outlet, although it will need a dedicated breaker.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different front axles and widths?   Front - Different front axles and widths? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Different front axles and widths?
Page 1 of 1