All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How much speed can a stock steering system take?

Go down 
5 posters

What would be the biggest issue?
Ball joints
How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_lcap0%How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Steering box
How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_lcap14%How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Wear from use/lack of previous owner maintenance
How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_lcap0%How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Clearance/center of mass
 0% [ 0 ]
No issues, chassis will handle speed adequately
How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_lcap29%How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Combination of the above factors
How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_lcap57%How much speed can a stock steering system take? I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

How much speed can a stock steering system take? Empty
PostSubject: How much speed can a stock steering system take?   How much speed can a stock steering system take? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2021, 10:35 pm

Been daydreaming for a while about building a 30 mph LT. Probably not going to happen any time soon because I have no money and less space (plenty of imagination though  lol! ) but my noggin is smoking thinking about this. Basically what I’m wondering is if a chassis in relatively decent shape (new wheel bearings, under 2” play at the steering wheel, stock height, stock ball joints, etc) at what speed does stock become sketchy, and is play or COG the bigger issue usually? Thanks for reading and hope y’all are doing good. Smile
Back to top Go down
yeethaw
yeethaw

2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How much speed can a stock steering system take?   How much speed can a stock steering system take? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2021, 11:10 pm

i did 39 with my craftsman lt1000 when it was stock width and lifted about 2" front and back. its sketchy but definitely doable. the biggest factor is how good you are at driving with the terrible steering on these things. you've gotta be moving the wheel constantly to correct yourself and you have to move the wheel a lot when there is play in the steering. id say 30 is definitely doable and a good speed. My craftsman was always able to cruise around there with no problems.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: How much speed can a stock steering system take?   How much speed can a stock steering system take? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2021, 11:25 pm

The issue is the geometry. They’re very twitchy with stock steering
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How much speed can a stock steering system take?   How much speed can a stock steering system take? Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2021, 11:19 am

Yeah, the big issue is in the front axle, rather than the steering box itself. That's where the jumpiness comes from. Lawn mower axles don't have enough geometry to self center, so they tend to dart back and forth, and slop in the box exacerbates that.
Back to top Go down
mh434
mh434

PostSubject: Re: How much speed can a stock steering system take?   How much speed can a stock steering system take? Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2021, 7:28 pm

I've been working on that myself.  My Craftsman is Canadian, so its model number doesn't match anything in the US, but it's roughly the equivalent of an LT.

I did a pulley swap, to 5 1/2" front & 3" rear, which gives me around 30 mph.  The steering was terrifying - darting back and forth about 2 feet while racing down the driveway.

I started by rebuilding the silly plastic steering knuckle that aligns everything at the bottom of the steering shaft.  The hole the shaft goes through wears into an oval, allowing a ton of steering play.  I made a full-length steel bushing to line that hole, which got rid of a lot of slop.

Second, I replaced the tie rod with a homemade one, using heim joints at the ends.  Not only did that remove a bunch of slop, but it also allowed me to dial in some toe-in, which adds self-centering & stability.

Next. I removed the front axle (surprisingly simple & quick job) and found the plastic pivot bushing at the front was worn out completely.  As parts are VERY hard to get here, I made a new bushing out of aluminum & greased the heck out of it.  We'll see how that lasts....

Next on the agenda is to look at my drag link (from the steering box to the front end).  I know the front end joint is worn out, and I expect the steering box end is, as well.  I'll probably see if I can replace the ends with cheap heim joints....

At this point, the steering is still sketchy, but the darting-back-and-forth is limited to inches instead of feet.

I would strongly recommend a foot throttle to go with it all, as taking one hand off the wheel to adjust the speed is chancy at best when zooming along at 30 mph.

I can post pics of this stuff if you need 'em for reference purposes...

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much speed can a stock steering system take?   How much speed can a stock steering system take? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much speed can a stock steering system take?
Page 1 of 1