All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Tranny locked up under pressure?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

Tranny locked up under pressure? Empty
PostSubject: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 3:27 pm

I have my old wards mower set up and pushing snow.....It is working good, except when I get it pushing up against a pile and and won't push any more {wheels spin}..........then It is very difficult to get into reverse .........I have to shift the speed control to park and then get off and pull back machine to release the pressure on the tranny...I have messed with clutch adjustment some.......but I'm not sure if that is the problem?? The belt from the engine is fully stopped when I push in on the clutch .........The belts are in pretty good condition....[I've used it pretty hard and have had no belt problems]..........Is this a norm with this drive system or can I make some kind of adjustment some where to get it to shift when under pressure??
Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 4:31 pm

I think this is normal, I have 2 MTD FNRs and a 5spd in my WH 210-5 and they all do that, I believe it is because they are sliding gear trannys and they don't like to shift under tension, my mud mower won't even shift gears if stopped on a slope, I have to rock it to get it to shift, it is possible that I am doing something wrong on all 3 of my mowers with sliding gear trannys but I'm pretty sure this is normal?

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 4:49 pm

My peerless you kinda have to line the gears up to change ranges. These aren’t synchronized trannies or well built. If it seems to be too much of a problem you might want to pull the trans and have a look.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 4:53 pm

Sounds normal. The shifter slides keys on the shaft and if there is pressure on them, you will bend or break something if you don’t release the pressure on it.
If you can spin the wheels, try shifting just as you let off of the ‘push’. (Just as you push the clutch)
Otherwise, stop pushing sooner… LOL

Back to top Go down
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 5:26 pm

Ok thanks a lot friends, I figured as much, just by the way that  it acted........but I had to make sure before I started tweaking things that shouldn't be tweaked!!

I will just have to change my operating habits ;-)........I ran heavy equipment in a quarry for 15 years before retireing.....  it was all easier than blading my snow....BUT not nearly as fun...
thanks again.....

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 6:38 pm

Let us know what happens please.
Back to top Go down
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 9:04 pm

What happens is that .........I figure out that I'm not in a d10 dozer, but in a little buggy originally built to mow my lawn...NOT blade snow    Tranny locked up under pressure? 1f603
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 9:07 pm

I hit a snow pile with my RTV and blade last year and it raised the blade and broke the winch strap. Maybe a D10 would be better. LOL
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 9:12 pm

The f/n/r in mine is really notchy/grumpy and got worse over time from just mowing the lawn. I've had to basically slam it into reverse and yank it back out, not sure what's up with it yet but I'll probably be opening it up in the next couple months

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 9:33 pm

It sure is fun working on them though,,,,,,,,I like the feeling that I can tear it up and rebuild how ever I want.......I can't do that with my monte carlo......everything on it I want to be stock and original........so I just keep it in shape and cruise around in it once in a while........when the weather is good....  Tranny locked up under pressure? 102878487  Tranny locked up under pressure? 102878487

I have bin promised a little satoh tractor [mitsubish formed off of satoh] I'm not sure of the year???.........This little tractor was made and bought in japan. An American service man was stationed in japan and had it shipped to the states..

It is 4wd with a 3 cylinder mitsubishi diesel............I am waiting for the lawyers to settle the estate before I can load it up.........I'll take some pics and post them when it gets to my playground.........I hope to push my snow with it next winter...
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 9:34 pm

That sounds like a fun little machine.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2022, 9:40 pm

Your Monty is MTD built ya? @Nevadablue started a thread for us to try and figure out how many different variations of the platform there are, if you get a chance maybe you could enter yours please?

www.atltf.com/t6837-mtd-square-body-mowers-information-and-pictures

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2022, 12:14 am

Brianator:
My old machine shifts amazingly well, when just working easily, not too good with front end lifted in the air and tires digging holes.......when you dig holes it just makes a lot harder to shift ..........that's why I have to relearn...., or learn how rebuild these little gear boxes
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2022, 12:40 am

I didn’t realize you have an FNR (forward/neutral/reverse) axle. No shift keys, but look at part 17 in this drawing.

Tranny locked up under pressure? 23754210

To shift from forward to reverse, the shift fork has to slide that part side to side. If there is pressure on it from being pushed to a stopping point, you can see that it won’t move sideways until the pressure is released. There is probably nothing wrong with the gearbox if it works normally when not jammed up.
Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2022, 6:53 am

Like I said, I have 2 of these FNR's and they both do the same thing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tranny locked up under pressure?    Tranny locked up under pressure? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tranny locked up under pressure?
Page 1 of 1