All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Headcase
Headcase

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Empty
PostSubject: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2023, 7:41 am

Needed to move some RR ties around.  
Scrounged together a bolt-on gin-pole using an old winch and some scrap parts.
Works pretty well.  Needs some improvement, but that will come...

Hope this helps someone else work smarter, not harder, lol.

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift 20230813

The pipe slips over the trailer ball.

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift 20230818

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift 20230819

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift 20230820

To remove the gin post, unclip the chains, unhook the winch hook, and lift the pole off the tractor.  Reel up the winch and you're all set to use the ball again.

I also doubled two Simpson Strong ties and fastened them under the ball to act like a tongue for pin-type couplings.  I'm not happy with it for several reasons, so it will be replaced with heavier stock on the next go-round.

That's about all there is to it and you can make this boom lift using basic tools like a drill and a sawzall.  If you're like me, you probably already have most of the parts you need laying around too, lol.  

Now go forth and lift things...

Last edited by Headcase on August 30th 2023, 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

MightyRaze, RichieRichOverdrive, JB_4x4 and Hammernco like this post

Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2023, 8:52 am

Looks good! Even if you don’t have a winch this would be good to have a nice high tow point for skidding stuff around.
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2023, 5:22 am

I might try that, I already have a 2" ball. I might need some weights in the front ?
Back to top Go down
Hammernco

PostSubject: Re: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2023, 5:32 am

Excellent, about to build mine to do a lot of pulling and logging, really good idea, is your dif locked? I wonder if it is better to pull with a diff locked or not.?
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2023, 5:50 am

My diff is open on a peerless 205 running chains.  I have occasion to run across a paved driveway and it is horrible with chains, it is only about 15 feet wide.  Until I get my new V tread tires on and ditch the chains, no way I am locking it.  

For pulling small logs the open diff has not been a problem for me.   I do not think I would try pulling what the OP pulls with my current set up.

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Murray18

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hammernco

PostSubject: Re: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2023, 5:56 am

Okay thanks for the input, I was considering locking mine as I the terrain is really muddy, guess I'll do without and do it if needed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift   Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick 'n Dirty Gin Pole Lift
Page 1 of 1