All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Stack Idea for diesels?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

Forum Rep : 0

Stack Idea for diesels? Empty
PostSubject: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey guys I was wondering, is it smart to use 4" Aluminum Irrigation pipe as a exhaust stack on a diesel truck? I've seen/heard people using copper tubing for stacks on diesels, I did some looking and aluminum melts at 1221* F and the exhaust on my dads truck only gets to 1,250MAX at the pyro on the down pipe after the turbo at WOT pulling a 25,000lbs trailer up a grade. going 60+mph. now I can tell you the exhaust pipe underneath the truck only gets to 1,000* F before the gutted converter and about 800* F at the side pipe on it right now.

Now that said My dad IS NOT going to put it through the bed, only outside it on the passenger side front corner of the bed. how tall should it be since we have a fithwheel camper and a 28' goose-neck flatbed trailer? the camper isn't used much so no worries about getting it black because it is far enough from the excessive amount of smoke it makes when the HPOP and turbo up-pipes is working like they should.

And if you got a truck Gas or Diesel With a stack feel free to post here.
Back to top Go down
http://pmwcm.forumotion.com/
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 68

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 6:26 pm

I wouldnt. Thats just me though, im not a scientist. I just wouldnt trust it.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
willis923
Hammer
Hammer
willis923

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 6:57 pm

no.. bad idea. aluminum admits toxic fumes when heated. plus its pretty thin, and aluminum has a low melting point, which means that it could deform. just get some steel pipe and paint it black-hi temp paint

-1999 Ford F-350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke

Lt wrote:
Feel free to try... Dont let anything but fear and common sense stop you. 

Stack Idea for diesels? Pbucket

Chat moderator

1st Lieutenant, Volunteer Firefighter, EMT-B, Galway Vol Fire co. Galway NY
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 7:18 pm

@willis923 wrote:
no.. bad idea. aluminum admits toxic fumes when heated. plus its pretty thin, and aluminum has a low melting point, which means that it could deform. just get some steel pipe and paint it black-hi temp paint
Willis From where I'm from ECO people in office consider Diesels the Devils brother because they are Heaping toxic black smoke emitters, AKA Washington State. so we are not at all worried about it. Like I said Aluminum has a melting point of 1221* F the exhaust only gets to 400-900* F at running temps around town and running WOT on the freeway up a grade so its not going to deform.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm about 99.9999% certain that AL does not emit toxic fumes, unless heated to a point WELL beyond "normal", beyond the melting point even. Generating fumes from actually burning it MIGHT be another story, but if I'm wrong, y'all better put away your aluminum pots and pans...

As for the exhaust system- there has GOT to be a good reason we NEVER see aluminum exhaust pipes.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
willis923
Hammer
Hammer
willis923

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 7:54 pm

my mistake doc.. i was assumeing. since its irrigation pipe, and is exposed to the elements, i figured its galvanized. which WILL emit noxious fumes.. either way, like you said. there is a reason we dont see aluminum exhaust

-1999 Ford F-350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke

Lt wrote:
Feel free to try... Dont let anything but fear and common sense stop you. 

Stack Idea for diesels? Pbucket

Chat moderator

1st Lieutenant, Volunteer Firefighter, EMT-B, Galway Vol Fire co. Galway NY
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 pm

I've seen them before they have a different noise to them, Like have you guys seen Square tubing used as a Exhaust pipe/stack? or a headache rack on a truck used as a Exhaust system?
And the High Quality Stainless steel used on Diesel Exhaust's is mostly Aluminium. 30% Stainless and 70% AL,
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 68

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 am

Theres a difference between high grade aluminum and the stuff they use for irrigation.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:15 am

I know....... I looked and its a higher quality irrigation pipe, its the same thickness of electrical Conduit that I have.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Thunderdivine

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Guys there's 50 million types of aluminium.. And I think all metal and alloys contain stuff that's not good for us. If not the fumes from the metal kill you, the diesel exhaust will sooner or later. So nothing to worry about there.

6061 and 6082 aluminum is a so called Aircraft grade alloy higher melting point, and higher tensile strenght.

But I say go for a steel one or a stainless steel one.

My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm

thanks TD! today I went to town, looking for a 8' long peice of 4" tubing and the two 90* elbows for exhaust is $100+, Stainless was about $150, might as well put the POS muffler back on and get 8mpg vs, straight pipe and get 15mpg
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Hey man, Try what I'm, doing. I put a wanted ad on CL for diesel exhaust pipe and stated the size I was looking for. Usually there are guys looking rid a stock system after a custom job. I got a response the next day. I'm just collecting exhaust pipe till I have enough to fabricate a system. Many will give it away free, or, in my case, trade it in the equal weight of scrap metal, which I was looking to rid anyway. Ya never know. Here is my idea.
Stack Idea for diesels? DSC_0440stacks_zps815e6dce

My tractor: Craftsman LT1000, 17HP Briggs Now a 20HP Briggs Apposed Twin, 6 speed Dana Trans-axle pulley swapped to 15MPH, golf cart front suspension and tires, ATV tires on the back, Rear ATV rack, front brush guard.

"An unconfirmed piece of junk in someones eyes can always be turned into a confirmed piece of art in your eyes."
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:31 pm

OK, Thanks TMJ That may just work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stack Idea for diesels?   Stack Idea for diesels? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stack Idea for diesels?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: