All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Moose's Diesel Massey

Go down 
+21
MurryMaddnes
craftsmancole
Thunderdivine
TheRainbowBoxer
richie thomas
Craftsman1998
B440
redlinemotorsportts
TroyBilt Pony
willis923
T-Dub13
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Jedi
Stretch44875
Doc Sprocket
WilliesBuilds
Lawren Wimberly
1997 Murray
Doug
Creepycrawler
Moose
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Moose
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 2:46 pm

Ok so I drove to Mansfield yesterday to show off the massey and all that fun stuff. As soon as I got it off the truck, and stretch was able to stop laughing at my belt system :p we ended up rebuilding the entire system lol it may have worked the way I built it but it would have taken more work ate up my ground clearance and been not as reliable.

So in true mowrons fashion and out of the kindness of their hearts they taught me a lot about how to engineer a belt system and build a solid reliable machine! And that they did the massey is a pretty serious ride now thanks to the years of experience they were able to share.

I'll post a video maybe tomorrow sharing the differences and maybe a romp where I don't put her in the cabbage.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 9:28 pm

It was nice to see the Massey get around without throwing a belt or gear grinding.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2014, 2:18 am

Yup very Very Happy will be even nicer when she is throwing mud!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2014, 11:59 am

Alright so another update sorta lol I was going to do this in a video but I am kinda under the weather so to speak with all the rain and cold I ended up getting sick :/ go figure so I got tired of waiting and just did a picture update!

So this was what the belt system looked like before I dont have many pics but you get the idea from it:
Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 ZtFukDgl

As you can see not much ground clearance when you run the belt under it that far
Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 LT1n3Xel

The issues I was having were the belt was always keeping the transaxle in motion never really spun down to allow me to shift. This was solved with lots of gates and a more efficient clutch.

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 DOx6AR6l
Gone is the plate that ate up a lot of room and looked a lot like a tumor just chilling on the side of my tractor you can also see a couple of the guides along the back of the pulley they are simple but very effective.

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Xy6n3awl
Another simple yet effective guide is a little U in the back by the clutch it keeps the belt in place on the top and the bottom of the pulley

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 3MoLQZ9l
We just kinda reused the steel I had brought for the clutch it works pretty well but it is a little thin so I may dig out a piece of T bar and use that if I can. It is a good feeling seeing that belt disengage though! Very Happy

Thats pretty much the driveline of this baby Stretch pretty much single handedly designed it off the top of his head and built it within about 2-3 hours spent maybe another 1-2 hours testing and fine tuning and that was that I gotta say when these guys say they know their stuff they really do :p

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 ScPSwUvl

While there I ditched the wheel barrow rims and went for something a bit more rugged but stuck with the same tires, I attempted to learn how to change the tires from TRB and learned a few tricks of the trade so to speak we got them together though took a bit of work but they look good!

Old:
Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 AKJPBMAl

New:
Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 SC1ew3nl

I also turned the deck lever into a oshi handle and connected it to the brake on the tranny it works pretty well:
Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 X9c4xjFl

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 JsxUvSol

Annnnnnnd lastly while in the Mansfield area we stopped at Glens surplus and picked up some stuff the main things were a set of hooks for the tractors for pulling logs and whatnot around the woods.

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 UWatSSql

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 GYPa1uol

My dads GT 5000 (his "mud tractor") :
Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 JPY5wvKl

So thats a pretty heavy update I think I just hope you guys are enjoying this build as much as I am!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2014, 11:47 pm

so I stopped at fastenal today picked up some square tube for the bumper already got the angle iron so its just a matter of deciding what I wanna do with it. Not sure what I wanna do this weekend lock the diff or build the bumper either way lots of welding and lots of fun!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 12:27 am

How fast is it? and how fun is it to drive? Big ol thing!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 12:52 am

I have yet to gps test but I think itll do about 25-30 in 3rd high kinda scary but fun lol she runs around 11 in 3rd low about the same as the forklifts at work Very Happy She is so much fun to drive just throttle up and diesel around the yard I cant wait to get the rear tires and lock the diff there will be no stopping this baby!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 11:19 am

post removed due to insane picture size ~ 7:13 PM 5/3/14 willis923
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 11:37 am

Too big of a picture!!! lol
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 11:52 am

Bahahaha! Holy picture batman! That's funny
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 7:24 pm

phone was still set to 1920x1080 so I guess it posted that size well anyway ended up having to buy more steel for the bumper been fighting with me all day trying to get it right so yeah might be done tomorrow we shall see.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2014, 8:48 pm

This project is getting a little... Mad >Very Happy you guys will see why tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2014, 9:36 am

Get the clutch and belt tweaked in? Engine running good? I wanna see some wheelies!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2014, 12:54 pm

The clutch is tweaked in good! I kinda doubt Ill replace the belt lol if it works dont break it :p The engine is running really well now that I adjusted the throttle linkage. Progress is going to be slow I hurt my back at work monday so no heavy lifting allowed, luckily I got my ag tires mounted before that happened so she is one bad ass little mud hog!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2014, 1:16 pm

During my visit with stretch and trb I had a interesting conversation with them in reguards to atv tires vs ag tires. Yeah yeah I know atv tires just look awesome and whatnot but it got me thinking. So in accordance with the massey being more of a trail/work tractor I chose ags because I know they will perform on the trail (as shown by trb and stretch since thats all they use) and I know they will haul logs because thats what we use our case for and it pulls like a mule!

Youll have to forgive me for the lack of bumper in the pics because it isnt finished yet I injured my back at work and had to return the angle iron so I could afford meds :/ Never fear I will make it to pugs for the big big race but I will just be sitting around on the massey or maybe participating in a tug o war or two :p

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 TjVWKq7l

Before ags

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 KDW5AnLl

After!

Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 16ALFrel

The woods is currently one muddy mother so I will have to wait till it is either swampy or a little dryer to go out again.
Back to top Go down
redneckdave

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 12:56 pm

nice tractor man i just picked up 2 massy 12's last weekend think about building a racer out of one and a mudder out of the other one but they r just frames so i need some transaxles and a egines but will be fun when i get it done
Back to top Go down
redneckdave

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 12:58 pm

nice tractor man i just picked up 2 massy 12's last weekend think about building a racer out of one and a mudder out of the other one but they r just frames so i need some transaxles and a egines but will be fun when i get it done
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2014, 2:01 pm

I absolutely love the way they built these tractors, I should have just restored it but I went crazy with it since you just got the frames I suggest going crazy on it :Dhave fun with it man

Last edited by Moose on May 10th 2014, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2014, 2:17 pm

Ok so another update pretty small though just a couple vidyahs and whatnot. I aded a muffler to the massey so I could do trail rides and stuff and not lose my hearing it wasnt to loud but it was loud enough to bug me so I got that out of the way then I went for a little ride! Hope you guys like it

The trail ride!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 5:17 pm

Alright so lately I havent been able to do much of anything due to a dickered back but since this upcoming weekend is the may 24 I had to do a little bit just to get her a little more user friendly so I finally got the high low lever sorted out then actually got steering stops welded in! And then I snapped them off... so lesson learned need to drill them out and just put a 3/8 bolt in and use that as a stop :v

I went for a little rip out in the woods and decided my next personal project will have to have some sort of suspension due to back pain >.> getting to old for slammin around as much as I do :p I was impressed with the ag tires though only way I got stuck was from trying to run over a tree that was the size of the front tires lol
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 6:10 pm

Moose wrote:
The trail ride!
Good LORD, man! Slow down!

I thought I was going to have a heart attack, you had me stressed out, the entire video!

Wink   lol! 

Does this video qualify as "The joy of mud mowers, with Bob Ross"?

hehesnort

Excellent work with the exhaust! And the rest of the tractor as well.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 6:16 pm

lol if you thought the woods looked nice you should see the swamp now had a fair bit of rain and more coming so I will attempt to get her stuck when I get back from the canadas!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2014, 2:29 am

All right guys I got the massey loaded and my sleeping junk stuffed in the back just gotta pick up a few vittles and Ill be off in the morning! Gonna intercept the Stretch express to canadaland and see if I can hitch into the convoy gonna be a long drive but cant wait!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2014, 6:31 pm

Man need to work on this thing more often forgot how much fun it is to weld with quality metals! Anywho I welded up a tongue or whatever you wanna call it so I now have a confidenca antler and a good place to hook up for pulling. Very Happy Enjoy the vidyer!

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2014, 7:38 pm

Nice little update, that hitch should help pull in your logs and win some competitions lol- admit it, it did make for good entertainment, but at your expense, been there, flipped that haha, you're not alone. Good to see johnny in video, that yellow should be great in the woods romping.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2014, 8:11 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Nice little update, that hitch should help pull in your logs and win some competitions lol- admit it, it did make for good entertainment, but at your expense, been there, flipped that haha, you're not alone. Good to see johnny in video, that yellow should be great in the woods romping.
Yeah you gotta live and learn and get a few more views/subs :p The deere may be a participant in a little side project I have been looking into "Plastidip paint" >Very Happy Same for the massey if it works.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Two things I am not afraid of doing Very Happy spending money and doing ***** other people are afraid of doing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moose's Diesel Massey   Moose's Diesel Massey - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moose's Diesel Massey
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next