All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Well, decided to see how it would look in a
step through” design:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 E61e2a10

looks ok. I think I prefer it with the side walls for looks, but theres no denying its easier to get on/off the thing.

It will also make it miles easier to get in/out with a cab on it where you’re already bent over to clear the cab roof.

So, unless theres a significant reason that crops up where I will need the space, its staying as a step through design. Sheet metal is an easy fix to make it look like it was built that way.

not to mention, now I have a place to mount a high/low shifter for the transaxle.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 539

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 pm

With the stiffening of the frame you did, whatever support the tunnel was providing was well taken care of.

Forum Admin -- Chat Admin-- Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page --How To Upload Pictures

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

Forum Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Well, after a kafuffle of a day, all I got done was the fuel filler neck and some work on the tank:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 5cefb110

I used an old intake U bend pipe I had lying around. I basically cut it in the middle and made it a J instead of a U. Cut out a flange and welded it to one end and the filler cap on the other.

Little bit messy as is, but a bit of clean up will have it looking at least passable. Its messy because the aluminum in the pipe seems to be pretty soft and it was a bit difficult to get it to flow and not drop away on me. So I had to go back and fill a few spots after I let it cool down.

The “kafuffle” of the day was my argon tank. Bought a bottle yesterday and the regulator was doing some weird bypass/relief noise and the reg would flow even with the flow valve closed. So it was a trip to the welding store, which broke the rhythm for the rest of the day.

I also refitted the ROPS since it goes over the fender where the fill cap will be:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Fcdd5710

Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t throw me another curve and I can get the fuel tank finished and move on to building the second hydraulic reservoir.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 7:15 pm

Fuel tank coming along:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 E1251810

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 C91d4710

still have to cut the fuel intake hole, the feed out to the carb, the vent line to the filler neck and finally weld the opposite wall to the tank. I left the tank wall to the last so I could work easier on the interior bits.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 am

Fuel tank just about done:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 05a03610

All thats left to do is a vent and final clean up work.

Ordered up a new fuel pump:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 2f29fa10

Facet 40177N. Min 1 psi, max 2 psi, 7 gpm, 24” lift. I didn’t want to have the briggs pulse pump pulling fuel from the rear of the tractor. With an electric pump I can turn the key on, give it a couple seconds to top off the fuel bowl and fire it off right away. With the pulse pump, you have to grind away at the starter until it sucks enough fuel to fire, putting unnecessary wear in the starter.

Also picked up a set of pedals from a JD LT180:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 A5f3e510

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 67d4a410

I was planning to make my own travel direction pedals, but this is a nice, easy, prepackaged bolt on solution. Saves me effort, but more importantly, it saves me time.

Smile
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2021 10:45 am

Got tired of rolling around on the floor and trying to bend my broken old back to work on the tractor. So:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 9a99ec10

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 2f61e110

Thats an air over hydraulic motorcycle lift table. I had to take my project FJ1200 off to use it, but the bike is on the back burner for now anyways, or at least until the tractor is done. Only so many hours in the day.

The tractor was just a bit too wide for it so I took a couple loading ramps, bolted on some supports and bolted the ramps on.

Now I can wrench/cut/weld at whatever height I need and sit comfortably while I work. Thats an important element for a busted up old guy like myself.

The “wings” make it impossible to use the foot pump, but as I mentioned, its also air powered so raising it is easy peasy.

Then decided the wings would make it more difficult to work on the tractor, so 4 jackstands later:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 850cf310

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 694bdc10

Now I can get right in close to work on it. When its time to take it off the table, 4 bolts puts the wings back on and roll the tractor off.
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 pm

3 spool valve installed:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 232aaf10

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 06075d10

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 4d1b0210

Brake system installed:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 9d4ff610

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 B6dba710

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 C1b0a810

Started working on the travel control pedals:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 46bab710

Final gauge showed up for the dash:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 191f0510
Back to top Go down
TourMax
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:20 pm

Travel pedals installed:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Dc42fe10

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 7e3a6310

I’ve got a new set of pedal rubber pads on the way. One pedal for forward, one for reverse. The way the case hydrive works, the more you press on the pedal, the faster it goes. Top speed in high gear works out to a smidge over 7 mph. This rig is about power and torque, not speed.

I welded a 1/4” bracket to the frame and then bolted the JD pedal bracket to that. Suffice to say, there’s absolutely no flex in the pedals whatsoever.

Next job is to build the levers, pivots and linkages.

Definitely starting to get that “SCUT in a GT package” look that I was after:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 690b4910
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Utility, Workhorse, and Pulling Tractors-
Jump to: