All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

TJ's fixing stuff

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Double W Cross Ranch

Forum Rep : 77

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 pm

So basically I thought I'd make a thread for flipping stuff, fixing and keeping, etc.  It's in off topic because I deal a lot in two strokes and push mowers, not many tractors.  There's less of a profit in two strokes, but it's still worth it IMO.  

What I fixed today:

TJ's fixing stuff Img_2041
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2040
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2042

It's a Craftsman string trimmer.  I bought it from a guy a couple towns over.  He brought me that MTD with the oppy, a hydro OHV LT1000 with a bagger, 4 parts string trimmers, 1 parts Poulan chainsaw, this string trimmer, a pressure washer with a blown pump, a Honda tiller with a bad gas tank, a leaf blower, an edger, and a few other misc stuff, and he delivered.  He has more he's supposed to be bringing me today for no additional cost.  I paid him $250.

The string trimmer had a Tecumseh in it with a gummed up carb and a broken crankshaft (yeah it literally broke, I'll get some pictures for the Fail thread later), so I just said yeah no thanks and took it off.  I pulled this Honda GVC 160 off the pressure washer, and found the exhaust valve was stuck.  Since Honda was super cheap and they make their head and block one piece, I had to disassemble the engine entirely except the cam to get the valve unstuck.  I did a valve job while I was in there, put it back together, and it ran.  Carb was immaculate so I didn't have to touch it.  I've got about $5 in spray paint (touched up some rust on the handle bars), oil, and silicone (this engine was siliconed from the factory, they literally don't make a gasket for the crankcase).

I've got it up for sale for $185, with the prices in my area I think I can easily make that for it.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 135

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 4:41 pm

I’ve got a couple of those GCV engines, never had a problem out of one and they’re super quiet and just sip fuel. Kind of an oddball design as I’m sure you found out haha
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Double W Cross Ranch

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 5:01 pm

@CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
I’ve got a couple of those GCV engines, never had a problem out of one and they’re super quiet and just sip fuel. Kind of an oddball design as I’m sure you found out haha

Yeah, I've got a couple too, they seem decent but man are they hard to work on.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 261

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 9:18 am

I actually had to put a crankshaft in one of those GCV's a month or so ago, it was on an AWD Husqvarna push mower and the guy had hit something metal sticking up out of the ground and bent the crank.

Here's the one I took out, I kept this one, haha.

TJ's fixing stuff 20200624

Those walk behind string trimmers are neat, pretty beastly. They sure make a lot of noise when that big string is whipping around, haha.

- Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
       - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
       - Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 & 953 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic & 1668 - Cub 106 - Ford LGT 125 -
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Double W Cross Ranch

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 am

@AllisKidD21 wrote:
I actually had to put a crankshaft in one of those GCV's a month or so ago, it was on an AWD Husqvarna push mower and the guy had hit something metal sticking up out of the ground and bent the crank.

Here's the one I took out, I kept this one, haha.

(picture)

Those walk behind string trimmers are neat, pretty beastly. They sure make a lot of noise when that big string is whipping around, haha.

Holy cow, whatever it was sure was in the ground good. I've got an AWD Husky with one of those engines on it, it's a really good little mower. I bought it new, it was 50% off last fall.

Yeah, I may keep one someday. They're a bit easier to get a level cut with than a regular weed eater.
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Double W Cross Ranch

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Sold the trimmer today, $185.

Also got this running. It's a Ryobi backpack leaf blower. I dunno what the deal is, but every time I try to fix a Ryobi made engine, I always have a ton of trouble with the carb. Everything else takes 1-2 take aparts and cleans, but Ryobi stuff takes close to 10-12 cleans, and half the time I end up buying a new carb, which is what I did in this case. Only cost me $13 so it's not a big deal.

TJ's fixing stuff Img_2043
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2044
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2045
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 135

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm

I have about a dozen string trimmers that all need carbs. Diaphragm always dries out on em
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Double W Cross Ranch

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 pm

I haven't ran into too many of those. Ya know at $10-$20 per carb, you can make a lot of money off those.

So my dad decided he wanted the blower, so he gave me his old electric blower and paid me $50.
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2046
I've got it listed for $40.

Someone is coming tomorrow to buy this Ryobi weed eater that I have about $5 plus a few hours taking the carb apart a million times. If they don't pick it up there are several others lined up.
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2048
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2047
I've got $70 on that.

Then the big winner today...I had to go to TSC to get some tools I needed to replace some bushings on the Honda, and up front, was this beauty.
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2051
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2050
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2049
With this tag on it.
TJ's fixing stuff Img_2052
The manager said the clutch was locked up. I noticed that the chain was waaaay to tight. So when the manager wasn't looking, I took my leatherman out, undid the clutch cover, and sure enough, the chain was just way too tight. I fixed it right there and bought it for $100, I've got it listed for $250.
So that's pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TJ's fixing stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ's fixing stuff   TJ's fixing stuff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TJ's fixing stuff
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: