All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

woodland mower

Go down 
+2
dangeroustoys56
Chunk
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

woodland mower - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 7:10 pm

Heavy gear oil will work- heavier the better - on my mild mod MTD i drilled the case for grease fittings instead of oil , mainly on that because its just a F/N/R trans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 3:25 am

KOol ill get a video or some pictures 4 you!! its a little over the valley from me, how do i make a direct steer (diagram or video would be kool)

thanks curtismundy but i think ill try direct steer if i can do it myself but thanks for offering!!!

Last edited by bigbleuboy on April 13th 2010, 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 4:55 am

I say you go with a direct steer set up perhaps? That's something you CAN mostly do with bolts and holes Cool

Where is this tractor graveyard? Sounds like my kinda place. Are there any older machines in there?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 10:36 am

i have gears off of a parts craftsman you can have for the price of shippping
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 3:55 pm

I have bunch of pics n stuff of racing tractors - heres a few pics:

woodland mower - Page 2 Direct10

Actual setup on a tractor

woodland mower - Page 2 25783110

Illustration of the setup

Direct steer will eliminate all slop- keep in mind you need to fix the front axle solid in order to use direct steering tho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 4:01 pm

thanks man! that makes a lot more sense now! looks pretty easy but i want my front to move a little, if not more (like fearlesses)! i think ill try to fix my mower steering with spares from a mower at the MOWER HEAVEN!!!!

unfortunately i have exams and have been very busy with revision and also play guitar and go out with my mates so i lead a hektic life right now so i can not do much but ill try and keep chipping away at it until i'm happy

should i do a back bumper too? also will i make a skid plate(was getting worried about the gearbox sliding over the wood) if so what is the way that contains the least welding/cutting as i can cut but u know i only have a hack saw!!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 4:12 pm

No problem- i 'borrowed' a bunch of pics from a lawntractor racing site - to help with my builds .

About the skid plate- try fearlessfronts idea of using an old foot rest - shouldnt be too hard to bolt it in place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 4:28 pm

yeh i agree but id have to find one off the old lawn mowers since this is my first lawn mower i have no spares from previous projects
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 5:12 pm

bigbleuboy wrote:
unfortunately i have exams and have been very busy with revision and also play guitar and go out with my mates so i lead a hektic life right now so i can not do much but ill try and keep chipping away at it until i'm happy

I hear that. Highers are taking over my life!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 3:24 am

lol yeh hate them but i know i has to do them once a year...for a space of two months...for the next 6 years... goddam Sad
ill get time to do what i like doing though(i always do) so yeah tonight i should get the diff locked, should i make a video? cause i noticed when i was online (youtuube and such) i couldnt find any videos so yeh what you think
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 11:01 am

yes please, i wanted to lock mine for quite some time. Im thinking il go for welding it
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 11:24 am

kool ill do that then!! ill try and take some pictures as well!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 5:13 pm

got my diff welded if you could plz subscribe to me and or add as friend!! as ill probs make it private! getting the videos up tommorow

my channel; https://www.youtube.com/user/bigbleuboy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 4:19 am

hey dudes got the video up off me and my uncle welding!

it looks good and should work fine going down today to put it all together again. my you tube is above, do you guys want videos of first ride on there as well, as im videoing it anyway but if you want to know haw it goes then yeah ill put them on you tube. leaving the steering ATM and concentrating on getting the tranny back on, then do you think i could lower the front and back like fearless although i would rather just keep the default opening for it, what do you guys think?

P.S i'm keeping the video on for thirty days then making it private as i don't know who will see it(apart from you people Twisted Evil Smile
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 7:32 am

Glad you finally got it welded!

AS for the videos, I'm always interesting in tractor vids, so shot away. I film nearly everyhing I do, most of it never makes it to youtube, just not interesting enough though.

Just watched the vid. One thing I would say is the weld the other gears solid too, as its welded now, and there's no going back, you may as well weld it as solid as you can.
Cant wait to see a test run!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 4:32 pm

right got it on today and had a few problems, all of them are fixed now though
1: gears kept sticking, but found out that if I shuffle back and forward then it loosen's the gears and it can change gear.
2: engine kept conking out, took off the carb and then realised the gasket was cracked so more air than usual was getting in therefore the air to gas ratio was wrong and it conked out, went to williamsons and got a new one so it was all great, got home fixed it on then I went for a drive, no more conking out!!
3: near the end of the day the belt got stuck on a TWIG and came off the pulley, am wondering if i should make a guard out of the old headlight holder?

heres some pictures getting my video's up soon enough
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02212
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02213
i got the chain from my uncle came in VERY handy (as I hope you will see when I get the videos up)
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02215
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02216
what do you guys think about the guard as although I wouldn't need it for mudding its just for the woods and the TWIGS! lol lol!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:07 am

Will mines going to be used in the woods alot too, and Ive had problems with my tractor chewing on sticks too. lol! I think its a great idea, Im doing it to mine once I get all the bugs worked out

It's looking alot better with the hood back on now too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 11:56 am

yeah the old light holder wont give much protection but it will delete any threats by twigs which should just snap...

any better ideas welcome!

also i am thinking after exams(or during study leave) i could put the back wheels on the front and new ones on the back? the bigger front tyres would allow alot more clearance and also allow it to go through bigger holes, ill get pictures (drawn) of what i plan to do.

thats the thing i guess will i be able to put bigger tyres on the front and just lower these things? not sure if it would make it?
woodland mower - Page 2 Thing10
yes i did put all the bolts back in!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 1:29 pm

i got the video uploaded PLZ have a look and comment if you can!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigbleuboy
holy Jesus that's bad quality going to save then upload DIRECTLY to youtube
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:19 pm

Thats a transmission mounting bracket- you can lower them further, id reinforce the frame/brackets before taking it for a spin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 6:02 pm

yeh but will the back lower enough so the front can be changed to big tyres??? without damaging anything
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 4:22 am

Fearless front did it- check his build. Only thing with changing the trans position is youll need to make sure the pulleys line up- youll most likely need to modify the trans pulley or add a jackshaft.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 3:11 am

hmmm whats the easiest way to lower the rear fit big tyres on the front and still keep everything in line,?
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 3:14 am

Are you trying to lower it or raise it overall? If you put bigger wheels all round, and then lower the rear end (move it down) that should give you lots of ground clearance. Being stock speed it should be okay, although like dangeroustoys said, pulley allignment could be a problem!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 6:22 am

On a stock tractor- the front axle will always be lower ( farther away from the chassis) then the rear axle- since the rear uses larger tires and the fronts are smaller - when i put lower profile tires on my MTD- the front was actually sitting slightly higher then the back- then i lowered the front so it would sit level ( i wanted mine closer to the ground for stability- not ground clearance).

Depends on the tires sizes youre using - if you use rear wheels on the front and larger then the rear wheels on the back, youll need to raise the tractor accordingly to even it out .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 11:19 am

hmm ok but i need as much ground Clearance as possible to get offroad and over sticks... the front and back tyres will be the same size will this affect anything, ill need to lower it so that the tractor sits level(back axle)

although the rear axle would then become the lowest point on it.hmmm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

woodland mower
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next