All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

[23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Laplantebd
Laplantebd

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Empty
PostSubject: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2023, 6:15 pm

#Buildoff2023

Hi everyone. I’m new here but have been following the forum as a guest for a bit. A few months back a neighbor stopped by my house and offered me his mower that was sitting behind his house for a few years. I just had to get it before the next snowstorm buried it again. Five minutes later it was on the forks of my tractor and heading home.

Here’s my plans.
I want to use it around the yard to pull a cart, wagon for the littles, and my post hole digger. I’d like to have fun in the snow and be able to swap the front between tires and snowmobile skis.

Get it running
Rewire (it’s a total mess)
Bigger tires.
Re-gear for a bit more speed
Cheap seat
Lock up the transaxle???
Paint?
Hand brake?
Modify and upgrade as stuff breaks

I’m not sure where the build will take me but I figured entering it here will keep me motivated.

I’ll have a lot of questions along the way.

Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build 8b5f3210

Approved - Apr 2, 2023 MightyRaze

MightyRaze, Brianator and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2023, 12:53 pm

[adm]Welcome to the build-off![/adm]

Sorry for the delay. I was away on vacation.

Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Sig214Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Sig314
Back to top Go down
Laplantebd
Laplantebd

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2023, 12:10 am

MightyRaze wrote:
[adm]Welcome to the build-off![/adm]

Sorry for the delay. I was away on vacation.

No problem, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Laplantebd
Laplantebd

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2023, 1:20 am

I had a little time this weekend to get started.

Before starting it I had to replace the positive battery cable. It was too short and frayed with no connector on the end. After doing that I could get it to crank over. Not with the key but with a momentary push button that a PO installed. It definitely wasn’t up to the task because it started melting moments after pushing it.

Why won’t it start? I briefly forgot that Murray’s require the clutch pushed in and seat sat on. The wiring was a mess so that was next. I cleaned it up and re-connected wires to their original locations. Success! It started with the ignition switch so now I can remove the push start. It actually sounds very healthy.

I jumped on it and stuck it in first and it would barely move. Clutch needs some attention and so does the transmission. Belt was shot so I installed a new one. It goes into all 3 gears very hard but it may be because the clutch needs adjustment. I’m just happy it moves as of now.

Lastly I pulled the headlights and cleaned the lenses and housings. The contacts were very rusty but I got them cleaned up nicely. I usually polish the housings but they looked descent so I left them. New led bulbs were installed so I can add lights elsewhere without straining the stator.

Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Faae4710
Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build 9f760d10
Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build 40dd9b10
Back to top Go down
Laplantebd
Laplantebd

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2023, 2:23 am

This week I’ll play with the clutch and see why it’s not fully engaging the trans. Hoping that’s why the trans is shifting hard.

I’m looking for advice. It currently have a “Foote” 3 speed. 3/4” axle shafts and 8” wheels. Is it worth locking it or should I move on to a more beefy trans right away? I’m looking at rear tires but don’t want to buy some that may not work after a trans swap.

And here’s a picture that didn’t fit in the last post.

Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build 43b80310

MightyRaze and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2023, 8:17 pm

Welcome to the Build Off!

Hard to shift could be either the clutch not fully disengaged, too short of a belt or worn shift keys, a quick easy way to test that is by popping the belt off the trans pulley then shifting it.

I'm running a Dana/Foote/Spicer 5 speed with 5/8" input, 3/4" axles and 8" wheels on my Roper Trailblazer and so far it's been holding up pretty well (unlocked) even with the grippy 22" ATV tires. I'm not particularly easy on it but I also keep in mind I could break something if I get TOO crazy with it so I just try to be somewhat careful.

I'd suggest to just use it as is for now then as you learn decide if you want to replace it  and or lock it.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Laplantebd
Laplantebd

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2023, 10:32 pm

Brianator wrote:
Welcome to the Build Off!

Hard to shift could be either the clutch not fully disengaged, too short of a belt or worn shift keys, a quick easy way to test that is by popping the belt off the trans pulley then shifting it.

I'm running a Dana/Foote/Spicer 5 speed with 5/8" input, 3/4" axles and 8" wheels on my Roper Trailblazer and so far it's been holding up pretty well (unlocked) even with the grippy 22" ATV tires. I'm not particularly easy on it but I also keep in mind I could break something if I get TOO crazy with it so I just try to be somewhat careful.

I'd suggest to just use it as is for now then as you learn decide if you want to replace it  and or lock it.

Thank you. I’m guessing it’s linkage as it was hard to shift without a belt. I purchased the Murray OEM belt for it. I definitely need to lock it or get different tires though. We have a bit of snow left and I could barely get into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build   Build -Off - [23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[23] [unique] Laplantebd’s Murray Yard Mule Build
Page 1 of 1