All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman mud Tractor

Go down 
+6
Carshowkid
redlinemotorsportts
Angchor
ratcatcher
camomanusa
my1987toyota
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

Craftsman mud Tractor Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2014, 6:13 pm

Well I have been watching the site awhile  after seeing Fearlessfront's YouTube channel. Not long ago my lawn tractor cut it's last blade of grass
when the deck finaly rusted bad enough that a deck support snapped off . At first I considered scrapping it . However I remembered years past how much fun I had modifying lawn tractors. So here is my build. Here are some
specifics :
all steering joints switched to hiems
new clutch setup
pulley swap- 9" front- stock rear
foot brake pedal
foot gas pedal
governor delete
locked rear axle
side shift

there will probably be more as time goes on but for now here is some video
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2014, 8:12 pm

Nice looking mower, id love to get one of them craftmans and build something out of one.
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
ratcatcher

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2014, 4:36 am

they look very similar to our westwoods,

Craftsman mud Tractor Camomower002_zpscd5fbf28
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2014, 10:18 am

one thing I may have to add to the list is more suspension for the seat.
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2014, 11:08 am

well I have been working off and on modifying the tractor . First thing was the steering and some of it didn't
work as intended  Craftsman mud Tractor 2429134702  . But such is life. I will have some video of it soon . It's amazing how long it takes
to edit video. I will also be including something people my find useful when trying to make tie rods .
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2014, 11:48 am

Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2014, 8:28 pm

Ok tractor fans the steering. Enjoy

Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2014, 10:52 pm

It's amazing how quick work can take up all your free time . I hope to get back to the lawn tractor soon.
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 5:13 pm

well I have been working off and on the tractor and decided to tackle the rear axle . The hardest part is trying to figure out which way to do it . You have the Doc locker the Fozzy locker and Fearlessfront has a good way of locking the rear axle . But all those require a welder ( which I have ). However I want to do one without welding anything. The way I intend to do it is with a piece of drill rod, a cast iron pulley, and a locking collar . I am just waithing for some parts to come in so I can do it . When they do rest assured I will be taking some video of how I do it. I have been working on the gas pedal . I will be doing the usual using a bicycle hand brake and cable . I will update again soon .
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 9:36 pm

The steering looks really professional. I understand what you mean by other things taking up time. for the locker, maybe a doc locker with a 3/4" hub in a keyed axle, and have the hub fit in the bull gear. Just coming up with some ideas. Could be done with the right machine tools, or maybe cut up a old sprocket that has a 3/4" bore.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 10:01 pm

Cool tractor!
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2014, 6:22 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
The steering looks really professional. I understand what you mean by other things taking up time. for the locker, maybe a doc locker with a 3/4" hub in a keyed axle, and have the hub fit in the bull gear. Just coming up with some ideas. Could be done with the right machine tools, or maybe cut up a old sprocket that has a 3/4" bore.

sounds like we're on the same page with the locker idea . Instead of a sprocket I will be cutting up a cast iron pulley. If all goes well the
most I should need in machine tools will be a 6" dial caliper , some layout tools, and a die grinder.
The keyways will be ground in with the die grinder . I will be better able to explain how I do it on video.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2014, 3:10 pm

my1987toyota wrote:

sounds like we're on the same page with the locker idea . Instead of a sprocket I will be cutting up a cast iron pulley. If all goes well the
most I should need in machine tools will be a 6" dial caliper , some layout tools, and a die grinder.
The keyways will be ground in with the die grinder . I will be better able to explain how I do it on video.
I get what you're saying now. I wasn't sure how thick a pulley would be, but if it's cast I think it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2014, 3:20 pm

my1987toyota wrote:

I get what you're saying now. I wasn't sure how thick a pulley would be, but if it's cast I think it's pretty good.
you are cutting a cast iron pulley... I'd just go with carbon fiber... Lighter than aluminanm and stronger than steel...
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2014, 1:44 am

you are cutting a cast iron pulley... I'd just go with carbon fiber... Lighter than aluminanm and stronger than steel...[/quote]

When you see the video I think you will better understand why I am using cast iron. Plus carbon fiber gets to be cost prohibitive . I haven't seen carbon fiber handle the type of shock loads that I will be placing on this part. But I will admit I don't have alot of experience with carbon fiber.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2014, 7:11 am

Yeah.... Cf is costly... I was kinda just joking about that... I'd just do whatever you are doing
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 5:03 pm

this sport is all about creative thinking and keeping an open mind. So using carbon fiber in a transmission could very well be a good idea. Joking or not. Just not in my budget. lol!
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2014, 10:02 am

well one thing I am going to do on my trans-axle is add in the ball bearings. there is quite a bit of clearance where the shafts go through . It will be after thanksgiving when I have all the video edited. The editing always seem to take forever to complete .
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2015, 3:48 pm

Happy new year everyone . Well so much for having the video ready sometime thanksgiving. Here is what happened .
I have a rather nasty health problem called Crohn's disease . I have been dealing with the major problems associated with it for about 7 years.  I have spent this last year doing test after test in preparation for having surgery to correct the bowel stricture and two fistulas that had developed . Finally I had a date set to have the surgery .cheers   unfortunately I have to put everything on hold until I am healed up.
I am hoping to get back to the video by the end of January .
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2015, 7:07 pm

my1987toyota wrote:
Happy new year everyone . Well so much for having the video ready sometime thanksgiving. Here is what happened .
I have a rather nasty health problem called Crohn's disease . I have been dealing with the major problems associated with it for about 7 years.  I have spent this last year doing test after test in preparation for having surgery to correct the bowel stricture and two fistulas that had developed . Finally I had a date set to have the surgery .cheers   unfortunately I have to put everything on hold until I am healed up.
I am hoping to get back to the video by the end of January .

Man that stinks i hope your surgery goes well and you get better soon
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2015, 7:42 pm

yes the surgery went well cheers . I am at home recovering an was told by the doctor to take it real easy for the month . But so far everything is going in the good .
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2015, 7:55 pm

my1987toyota wrote:
yes the surgery went well cheers . I am at home recovering an was told by the doctor to take it real easy for the month . But so far everything is going in the good .
That's great that your surgery went good. I like your tractor I really wish I had never had to get rid of my Craftsman.
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2015, 8:44 pm

Thank you .
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
my1987toyota

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2018, 7:30 pm

WOW has time flown by. 3 years almost to the day. anyway I am trying to revive my old project in the midst of working full time and having to do stuff around the house. It is amazing how these old Briggs engines can sit for years yet a quick carb clean and they fire right back up.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2018, 11:24 pm

Welcome back man! Gotta love the reliability of these old small engines, especially briggs. Looking forward to seeing you put more work into this!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Craftsman mud Tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman mud Tractor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next