All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 
 

 Craftsman mud Tractor

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Craftsman mud Tractor   Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Well I have been watching the site awhile  after seeing Fearlessfront's YouTube channel. Not long ago my lawn tractor cut it's last blade of grass
when the deck finaly rusted bad enough that a deck support snapped off . At first I considered scrapping it . However I remembered years past how much fun I had modifying lawn tractors. So here is my build. Here are some
specifics :
all steering joints switched to hiems
new clutch setup
pulley swap- 9" front- stock rear
foot brake pedal
foot gas pedal
governor delete
locked rear axle
side shift

there will probably be more as time goes on but for now here is some video
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-09-15
Posts : 467
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Greensburg, PA

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Nice looking mower, id love to get one of them craftmans and build something out of one.
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Join date : 2014-04-10
Posts : 32
Forum Rep : 0
Location : essex, UK

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat May 10, 2014 4:36 am

they look very similar to our westwoods,

Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat May 10, 2014 10:18 am

one thing I may have to add to the list is more suspension for the seat.
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 am

well I have been working off and on modifying the tractor . First thing was the steering and some of it didn't
work as intended    . But such is life. I will have some video of it soon . It's amazing how long it takes
to edit video. I will also be including something people my find useful when trying to make tie rods .
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 61
Join date : 2014-04-14
Posts : 491
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Index, Washington

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat May 24, 2014 11:48 am

Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue May 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Ok tractor fans the steering. Enjoy


Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 pm

It's amazing how quick work can take up all your free time . I hope to get back to the lawn tractor soon.
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:13 pm

well I have been working off and on the tractor and decided to tackle the rear axle . The hardest part is trying to figure out which way to do it . You have the Doc locker the Fozzy locker and Fearlessfront has a good way of locking the rear axle . But all those require a welder ( which I have ). However I want to do one without welding anything. The way I intend to do it is with a piece of drill rod, a cast iron pulley, and a locking collar . I am just waithing for some parts to come in so I can do it . When they do rest assured I will be taking some video of how I do it. I have been working on the gas pedal . I will be doing the usual using a bicycle hand brake and cable . I will update again soon .
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 21
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3123
Forum Rep : 2
Location : raleigh nc

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:36 pm

The steering looks really professional. I understand what you mean by other things taking up time. for the locker, maybe a doc locker with a 3/4" hub in a keyed axle, and have the hub fit in the bull gear. Just coming up with some ideas. Could be done with the right machine tools, or maybe cut up a old sprocket that has a 3/4" bore.

_______________________________________________
Check out my builds!: MTD "Rock Bouncing" Mower -------- 60's Springfeild V-twin Mini Speed Tractor : SOLD!

ATLTF.com Facebook admin - Forum Mod
whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Cool tractor!
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:22 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
The steering looks really professional. I understand what you mean by other things taking up time. for the locker, maybe a doc locker with a 3/4" hub in a keyed axle, and have the hub fit in the bull gear. Just coming up with some ideas. Could be done with the right machine tools, or maybe cut up a old sprocket that has a 3/4" bore.

sounds like we're on the same page with the locker idea . Instead of a sprocket I will be cutting up a cast iron pulley. If all goes well the
most I should need in machine tools will be a 6" dial caliper , some layout tools, and a die grinder.
The keyways will be ground in with the die grinder . I will be better able to explain how I do it on video.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Age : 21
Join date : 2013-03-18
Posts : 3123
Forum Rep : 2
Location : raleigh nc

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:10 pm

@my1987toyota wrote:
@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
The steering looks really professional. I understand what you mean by other things taking up time. for the locker, maybe a doc locker with a 3/4" hub in a keyed axle, and have the hub fit in the bull gear. Just coming up with some ideas. Could be done with the right machine tools, or maybe cut up a old sprocket that has a 3/4" bore.

sounds like we're on the same page with the locker idea . Instead of a sprocket I will be cutting up a cast iron pulley. If all goes well the
most I should need in machine tools will be a 6" dial caliper , some layout tools, and a die grinder.
The keyways will be ground in with the die grinder . I will be better able to explain how I do it on video.
I get what you're saying now. I wasn't sure how thick a pulley would be, but if it's cast I think it's pretty good.

_______________________________________________
Check out my builds!: MTD "Rock Bouncing" Mower -------- 60's Springfeild V-twin Mini Speed Tractor : SOLD!

ATLTF.com Facebook admin - Forum Mod
whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
@my1987toyota wrote:
@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
The steering looks really professional. I understand what you mean by other things taking up time. for the locker, maybe a doc locker with a 3/4" hub in a keyed axle, and have the hub fit in the bull gear. Just coming up with some ideas. Could be done with the right machine tools, or maybe cut up a old sprocket that has a 3/4" bore.

sounds like we're on the same page with the locker idea . Instead of a sprocket I will be cutting up a cast iron pulley. If all goes well the
most I should need in machine tools will be a 6" dial caliper , some layout tools, and a die grinder.
The keyways will be ground in with the die grinder . I will be better able to explain how I do it on video.
I get what you're saying now. I wasn't sure how thick a pulley would be, but if it's cast I think it's pretty good.
you are cutting a cast iron pulley... I'd just go with carbon fiber... Lighter than aluminanm and stronger than steel...
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:44 am

you are cutting a cast iron pulley... I'd just go with carbon fiber... Lighter than aluminanm and stronger than steel...[/quote]

 When you see the video I think you will better understand why I am using cast iron. Plus carbon fiber gets to be cost prohibitive . I haven't seen carbon fiber handle the type of shock loads that I will be placing on this part. But I will admit I don't have alot of experience with carbon fiber.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:11 am

Yeah.... Cf is costly... I was kinda just joking about that... I'd just do whatever you are doing
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:03 pm

this sport is all about creative thinking and keeping an open mind. So using carbon fiber in a transmission could very well be a good idea. Joking or not. Just not in my budget. lol!
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:02 am

well one thing I am going to do on my trans-axle is add in the ball bearings. there is quite a bit of clearance where the shafts go through . It will be after thanksgiving when I have all the video edited. The editing always seem to take forever to complete .
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Happy new year everyone . Well so much for having the video ready sometime thanksgiving. Here is what happened .
I have a rather nasty health problem called Crohn's disease . I have been dealing with the major problems associated with it for about 7 years.  I have spent this last year doing test after test in preparation for having surgery to correct the bowel stricture and two fistulas that had developed . Finally I had a date set to have the surgery .cheers   unfortunately I have to put everything on hold until I am healed up.
I am hoping to get back to the video by the end of January .
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2013-10-30
Posts : 1065
Forum Rep : 0
Location : New jersey

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:07 pm

@my1987toyota wrote:
Happy new year everyone . Well so much for having the video ready sometime thanksgiving. Here is what happened .
I have a rather nasty health problem called Crohn's disease . I have been dealing with the major problems associated with it for about 7 years.  I have spent this last year doing test after test in preparation for having surgery to correct the bowel stricture and two fistulas that had developed . Finally I had a date set to have the surgery .cheers   unfortunately I have to put everything on hold until I am healed up.
I am hoping to get back to the video by the end of January .

Man that stinks i hope your surgery goes well and you get better soon
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 pm

yes the surgery went well cheers . I am at home recovering an was told by the doctor to take it real easy for the month . But so far everything is going in the good .
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-04-05
Posts : 661
Forum Rep : 1
Location : New Smyrna Beach,Fl

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:55 pm

@my1987toyota wrote:
yes the surgery went well cheers . I am at home recovering an was told by the doctor to take it real easy for the month . But so far everything is going in the good .
That's great that your surgery went good. I like your tractor I really wish I had never had to get rid of my Craftsman.
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Thank you .
Back to top Go down
my1987toyota
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
avatar

Age : 37
Join date : 2014-05-05
Posts : 23
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Clearwater Florida

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:30 pm

WOW has time flown by. 3 years almost to the day. anyway I am trying to revive my old project in the midst of working full time and having to do stuff around the house. It is amazing how these old Briggs engines can sit for years yet a quick carb clean and they fire right back up.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2016-10-29
Posts : 2091
Forum Rep : 52
Location : Lewisburg, KY

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Welcome back man! Gotta love the reliability of these old small engines, especially briggs. Looking forward to seeing you put more work into this!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mud Tractor   

Back to top Go down
 
Craftsman mud Tractor
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Craftsman mud Tractor
» 1982 Craftsman LT11 Trail/Mud/Woods Tractor
» Dustin's 1986 Craftsman Woods Tractor - Full Suspension, Electric Conversion
» Hot rod craftsman
» Two Craftsman Offroaders-tell me what you think!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: