All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project search: heavy duty body

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MoparLeprechaun
MoparLeprechaun

Project search: heavy duty body Empty
PostSubject: Project search: heavy duty body   Project search: heavy duty body Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 9:51 pm

Hey guys, so I think for my first project I want to go with something that's heavy duty. Strong body and engine too. Only 2 tractors come to mind right now and that would be an older Sears or a Bolens 1050 or bigger. It's getting a Diesel engine because the torque and cost of fuel, plus the rolling of the coal, is never bad Wink

I'm also the kind of guy who likes to be as original as possible, so if I did get a sears I couldn't do an SS/16 like Fearless and feel good about doing it, plus the closest one to me under $300 is 6 hours away.

If anyone has suggestions I'm open to them. All it really needs is a tough and rugged body and frame, trans I guess is fairly important too unless I can mount up a different one that wasn't originally a part of that tractor. Lemme know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Project search: heavy duty body   Project search: heavy duty body Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 6:42 am

MoparLeprechaun wrote:
Hey guys, so I think for my first project I want to go with something that's heavy duty. Strong body and engine too. Only 2 tractors come to mind right now and that would be an older Sears or a Bolens 1050 or bigger. It's getting a Diesel engine because the torque and cost of fuel, plus the rolling of the coal, is never bad Wink

I'm also the kind of guy who likes to be as original as possible, so if I did get a sears I couldn't do an SS/16 like Fearless and feel good about doing it, plus the closest one to me under $300 is 6 hours away.

If anyone has suggestions I'm open to them. All it really needs is a tough and rugged body and frame, trans I guess is fairly important too unless I can mount up a different one that wasn't originally a part of that tractor. Lemme know what you guys think.

For me, it's all about what I can find. I wanted a Suburban for years, and I've only found ONE near me for a reasonable price. I turned out down to get my Bannerman chassis. So basically, all I can suggest is to look all around, even PLACE some want ads, and score whatever GT (garden tractor) you can find.

Most of what is good, is older. My '70 JD112 is quite stout.
Back to top Go down
MoparLeprechaun
MoparLeprechaun

PostSubject: Re: Project search: heavy duty body   Project search: heavy duty body Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 11:01 am

That makes sense. No matter what all it has to have is a really tough frame that can not only take some punishment. I can worry about making it look cool once I've actually got one in hand. I think depending on what it is id be willing to pay $300 for something if it was completely worth it. I can afford to blow a little money haha
Back to top Go down
MoparLeprechaun
MoparLeprechaun

PostSubject: Possible steal?   Project search: heavy duty body Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 5:33 pm

So upon looking on Craigslist some, I found a 2007 Craftsman YS4500 (Hard to read on picture, but I think that's what it says) with a blown motor for $250. Sound like a good deal but I'm not sure, partially because I don't know how strong the body on it is per-say, either way I might pick it up. Any reasons as to why I shouldn't? I know nothing about it other than everything on it works except the motor is done.

There's also a Yard Machines (Which I think is MTD, not sure, still learning about all this stuff) with a 6 speed and is for $200, also much older than the 2007. Another potential purchase?

What should I look out for with these?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project search: heavy duty body   Project search: heavy duty body Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 5:50 pm

New stuff is crap IMO, look for anything that has a hi/lo 6 speed (633a) or a regular 6 speed (2300). Anything with a 5 lug hub essentially. They are heavy duty transaxles so they are guaranteed to support a heavy frame. Any pre-1990 GT will have one.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project search: heavy duty body   Project search: heavy duty body Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project search: heavy duty body
Page 1 of 1