All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Empty
PostSubject: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2021, 7:24 pm

I’m planning the (simple) wiring on the Rat Rod build and have some questions. I plan to use the OEM key switch and add an emergency kill switch (with the red slap cover), a light switch that will allow running off of the AC side of the alternator or from the battery, and remove the ‘safety’ switches.

This is my proposed electrical diagram, stolen from the LT1000 manual and edited.

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? 42125e10

So, let’s start with the emergency kill switch. I think I have it so the engine won’t start without setting the switch. From then on the engine should start. Turning off the key or slapping the emergency switch will ground the coil and stop the engine. I think...

Second, on the left side I have a DPDT switch shown. (The symbol isn’t standard, but this switch is center off, on to each side) I believe I have it so that if the switch is set to mag, the lights will run off the alternator. Arrg, I didn’t mean mag on the drawing, read ALT please. If the switch is off, the lights won’t work at all and if it is at Battery, the lights will run off of the battery. In the mag (ALT) setting the key switch works as normal. I think...

That leads to the third question; can I put a diode in the AC (lights) wire from the alternator and get DC so I can run LED lights?

And the last question... REGULATOR? This tractor does not have a regulator, none in the diagram or on the machine. Can/should I add one? The critter I am building is a go kart that will have head/tail/brake lights. Sure seems like a regulator should be part of the circuit.
If I need one, where do I get such a tiny regulator?
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2021, 4:57 pm

I decided to build the harness in ‘comfort’ and set up a work surface on a table in the yard, in the shade. Of course, the WIND decided to blow but I managed to finish the harness without any injuries or too many curse words.

Welcome to the outdoor electrical test bench:

I’ve had that Harbor Freight meter for years. It has been a good one. Only today did I notice that it has a continuity test function with sound. Of course my ears don’t hear the sound unless I hold it up to my head, but the meter also tells me if there is connection. (I used this meter to monitor my heat treating furnace... actually an old small ceramic kiln... using the heat sensor function. Pretty good little tool for less than 20 bucks)

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? 92abdb10

And the finished, simplified harness. Right now the silly two position switch for lights/battery function isn’t there and the solenoid connection for the carb is still there... until I neuter the carb. Idiots are annoying. Safety switches to protect me from me. Sigh...

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? 64cb7010
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2021, 4:59 pm

The red handled slap switches haven’t arrived yet, so an ordinary SPST switch will do for now.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2021, 11:27 pm

Very nice!  Man, I would accidentally cut every wire too short if I did it off the tractor like that.

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Sig214Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Sig314

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2021, 11:56 am

Whatever I did I would have to crimp everything 3x.

Like TheBeal said, I do it right, because I do it twice!

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2021, 5:35 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
Whatever I did I would have to crimp everything 3x.

Like TheBeal said, I do it right, because I do it twice!

Crimp?

No no no.

Solder.

Done once, never corrodes or fails…

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2021, 7:01 pm

Good advice. I have another harness to make, so I will solder and use heat shrink on the connections.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?   Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kill switch, lights, regulator, diode?
Page 1 of 1