All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Repurposing zero turn front spindles.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fbisurveilancevan

front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Empty
PostSubject: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2022, 2:57 pm

Ok Iam bouncing back and forth on my plans for the spindles and need some feedback.

I've had a couple of ideas ranging from regular go kart spindles with or without bearings and even Springer spindles.
An idea that also floated around for a long time is to use the spindles for a zero turn mower as I have tons of those lying around.

front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Img20239

I already have some amazing hubs for a 25mm shaft which I will be using whatever happens so I would be using bushings even if I use a 3/4 shaft.

My plan was to remove the fork entirely and weld a 25mm shaft on the bottom aswell as some tabs for the steering
It's surely unconventional but I know from experience that these can take a beating.
They do have bearings but they are conical.

I could really use some feedback on this from you guys to see if this might be a viable option.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2022, 9:43 pm

I've never seen it done but don't see why it wouldn't work. It sounds like it would be really strong with the bearings,  you might have to be the first to try it then give us the feedback!  Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2022, 9:33 am

Well yes, I am going to use parts of this in some shape or form as theres definitely some benefit to be had here.

Execution wise however Iam just not sure however.
Question is if that weld there would be the best thing.
I guess I could also bridge the tabs for steering and tie rod over both the vertical and horizontal shafts.

Another issue is that considering that the tube is about 2 inch thick and 6 inch long and I might have to angle the top of the spindle a few degrees inward to clear the wheel
Now I am a bit new to steering geometry so Iam wondering if that might have some negative impact
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2022, 11:11 am

I think you could make them work, but I have a couple of concerns.
First, there is a HUGE amount of caster. That would make it difficult to control the steering. And, they look very heavy.
Put on the thinking cap and see if you can figure out the issues.
Watching!
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2022, 11:46 am

No that fork will go, the fork is welded on a shaft inside that goes through the top of the fork
Instead of that there will be a shaft going at a 14 degree or so angle at the bottom

King pin inclination will be around 14 degrees if my calculations are correct
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2022, 12:42 pm

front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Img20247

So this is kind of what Iam up against.
The rims I have are quite deep and if possible I'd like to avoid spacers as much as possible.
But they're free so I am working with what I got.

Another thing I am trying to avoid is making the shaft way too long and creating a big lever which causes strain on the weld.

So I could really use some suggestions on the king pin inclination.
Ideally I want it around 14% or about 1,5 inch inwards on the top but I don't know if that's pushing it

10 degree

front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Img20248

15 degree

front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Img20249

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repurposing zero turn front spindles.   front - Repurposing zero turn front spindles. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repurposing zero turn front spindles.
Page 1 of 1