All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Wizard mower

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

mower - Wizard mower  Empty
PostSubject: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2023, 11:23 am

Can anyone in here tell information one this mower and would it be a good candidate for  mud mower or notmower - Wizard mower  Receiv10
mower - Wizard mower  Receiv13
That one my cousin has an I can git it for 100 bucks todaymower - Wizard mower  Receiv14
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2023, 11:59 am

Really you can make a mud mower out of just about any tractor but you'll want to do more reinforcements on lighter duty ones like you're showing above which is very similar to the ones you already own. That Wizard is AYP built lawn tractor which means that the 5 speed trans is probably a Dana/Foote/Spicer (same company) 4350 and is about the same quality as a Peerless MST in my opinion (I own both).

My Roper Trailblazer is a decent example of what you can do with that exact tractor, they're basically the same and I have the same rear trans. Overall it's been pretty good and taken some abuse.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2023, 12:04 pm

@Brianator man I got it an do t have to pay for it to the 1st and I am going to be doing a lot of reinforcement on it and I have peerless 829 coming with it fo4 my green statesman for hillclimber and mud mower an they will be her this evening so I will be able to post more pictures of it an how it rides
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2023, 4:17 pm

I think it would be decent.  For ease, having the geared trans is BIG.  Especially if you want to go faster.  If speed isn't an issue and stock is fast enough.  Like @brianator mentioned then any lawn tractor is fine.  Heck there are examples out there even for FNR and hydro's to go faster, but their durability I think is less when done so.  I also agree that the spicer/mst's are pretty level ground.

In short, I think it would be a good machine.  Biggest thing about those craftsmans/ayp/wizzard/etc is their clutch pulley is so close to the engine pulley, it makes for pulley swaps to be a tad more difficult engine side.

mower - Wizard mower  Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
mower - Wizard mower  Sig214mower - Wizard mower  Sig314
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2023, 9:19 pm

I agree with @MightyRaze about the swapping the engine pulley, I personally kept the engine pulley because I kept the mower deck as can be seen in photos and I didn't want a huge headache. I also didn't want to kill my first gear crawling speed and luckily the rear pulley on mine was HUGE like 10" or something like that so by dropping to a 6.5" I got the machine up to about 10mph which proved plenty to get through mud with enough wheel speed to keep the treads clear, go with a 5" pulley and you could expect 13-14mph and I found clutching to be very grabby it's actually hard for me to keep the front wheels in the ground!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)

Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2023, 9:52 pm

@MightyRaze @Brianator thanks guys so much and I will keep the pulley on the front cause I don't need the headache of but I will definitely change the rear pulley and couldi run 22 x10x10 rear tires an still have the wheel speed for mud holes like the do on ttc and cause that really what kinda of mower I'm aiming for one that will dominate there terrain and git it done faster
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 4:35 pm

Okay I have a question is there a rule on that u cannot cap the existing frame of a mudmower an it still counts or dose it have to just one frame . Cause I was thinking about cutting up an old c channel frame I have that is takeing up room and I was going to used the c channels for reinforcement on my existing frame of this wizard and here's the best pic of the c channel frame I have mower - Wizard mower  Img_2117 I was just going to use the side rails of this frame and cap the side rails of the wizard with them rails and would it work and still count. And I'm thinking about saving it for the 2024 build off

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 6:35 pm

Attaching a lawn tractor frame to another LT frame, I see no issue with that. Especially for the sake of reinforcement in the build-off.

mower - Wizard mower  Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
mower - Wizard mower  Sig214mower - Wizard mower  Sig314
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 7:09 pm

@MightyRaze I was thinking it would off effect it for the build because of the rules an I want to abide by them an keep it right would it affect it if I use it to stretch the front with it to buy about 6 inch or Alil more cause I don't want to do nothing that will git me kick out of it and I am just git my ideal of how I can use what I have one hand an to work with.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 7:59 pm

For sure frame modification to strengthen it gets the green light, on lighter duty tractors it's basically a requirement so it holds together, heck you could even use steel bed frame rails if you wanted which are apparently really strong! I have a C channel frame just like it that I'd like to build an offroad overlanding trailer from but it has a ton of flex even with cross bars so I was going to box it in which I assume is what you're talking about?

I don't see anything in the rules that would prevent you from stretching a tractor, you don't NEED to use other chassis bits you can use whatever materials you want as long as the end result looks like a tractor chassis.

@MightyRaze stretched TDRs frame with only raw materials and you wouldn't know it because he did such a great job! Click HERE to go see for yourself.

Don't worry too much, as long as you're not putting a tractor body on a ATV or grafting a ATV frame onto a tractor you'll be fine!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 9:20 pm

@Brianator man I'm use not ATV parts besides rims an breaker caliper. And the breaker caliper I have is an extra one from a China atv I have laying around and I was want to git some of the stuff outa my way. So I can have more room in my carport shop which I only have very lil space and my building isn't big enough to hardly move around in it and my building is the only place I have heat . An my carport want hold heat in cause it is open on one end an I use tarps for door an my build is blocking one side of it in but it open at the top. An there both offset so I am doing all I can do with what I have laying around but in this build there want be no atv grafting here on this or not suspicions from atv or nothing like that all I have of atv is my to girls China atv and I'm not destroying them for this I want it all like lawn tractor style
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 9:31 pm

@"Brianator man I did go and look @"MightyRaze" build on the dirty rat and yes that is similar to my ideal bi was going to cut the back part of the frame off and slide my frame down on the I side of the existing frame and weld it all together an put cross bracing in to as well an use front axle houseing for a castiron front axle from a extra ys 4500 craftsman that the that frame from and the castiron front axle. So the c channel frome is way long than the existing frame of the wizard and I was wanting it completely different than everybody else that has built one
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 9:51 pm

It sounds like you're cooking up a plan that's for sure! Don't give too much away or it won't be a surprise anymore! Lol

I have the same problem with my workshed, hardly any room to work on a snowblower let alone a tractor but it's dry and warm! mower - Wizard mower  20231221

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 9:57 pm

@Brianator I wish my carport was warm and dry but it is and I only work out it the the spring an summer months but the the winter months I work out my lil building.mower - Wizard mower  Img_2118
As u can see my building.hasnt go much room .
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly mowers
Hillbilly mowers

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2023, 10:06 pm

And @Brianator yea that some of my plans but u all want know the rest will be the surprise in the build off next year I am just git some of the rule an regulations clears before It starts because I have read the past build off rules on frames but I was just want to git it cleared by u if it was okay cause I didn't understand the frame rule and I do know thanks to u an @MightyRaze for ur guys information and tips .on this but the rest I am keeping in my plan books until the update times
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wizard mower    mower - Wizard mower  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wizard mower
Page 1 of 1