Went through the first one. Middle in the picture above. It has fresh oil in it. Turns over easily, had good compression on one side, the other did not. Went ahead and removed the heads. Good side looks great. The bad side has a stuck open intake valve. Still trying to get it out. Other than that one valve, I think the thing would light right up. I have a parts engine I can snag a valve from if I end up damaging the one that is stuck. Not sure why it is stuck at this time. I have it soaking.
I hope to dig into the next one today. Thinking the one on the pic far left. It seems froze at this time. We will see. The one without tins spins nicely already and you can hear/feel the compression. I wish it had the tins, it appears to be an older generation of oppy.
I really like the video editing techniques you've been using lately. That's exciting to see the horizontal light off. I didn't see any smoke from the exhuast. That's good. Is the starter any easier to get to on the horizontal models? What do lawn mower batteries cost in your area?
Oh thanks... I changed from using windows movie maker to filmora. It's a fun app, it costs, but I caught it during a almost half off promotion last year. They had lifetime for about the price of one-year. Thought it was worth it for $40. I enjoy it.
Starter is exactly the same to get to on a horizontal. I will be going through it later when I do my final go over in the future. I'll do that when I pull the flywheel to check those magnets. Personally, I don't have too much problem getting them off even with the flywheel on. My area... the 230amp ones are about $19.97 and the 340's are about $30 or so for the cheaper ones. Farm store batteries are $30-60.
So... popped the flywheel off. It was one of the easiest.
My diagnosis of magnet falling off was accurate. 5 of them in total fell off. I checked the others rigorously and they are in place well. Buffed up the metal and JB welded them back in.
This did have the 2 wire alternator/stator. The PO had cut the cables, also cutting off the diode. I do have a diode set that should work fine. I extended the wires back out and heat shrinked them. Cleaned it up and saw no damage.
Reinstalled that and now waiting to reinstall the flywheel.
Need to find me a plug set and reinstall a plug down the line.
I was hoping to get the block washed up before the artic air tomorrow, but that did not happen. Maybe next week.
Before I reinstall the flywheel, I plan to go through the starter first.
Yup, already doing my second level checking. Pulled the flywheel and starter this evening. Magnets are all on SOLID on this one. I noticed there was a stuck nut on the starter with a cable attached. I checked and sure enough the starter End Cap Brush Assembly was busted inside. I have a new one pretty cheap on the way.
There a few things I love and hate about that build from cars and cameras. However, I think that is a cool concept with the live axle swap. I've seen some people here on ATLTF do that and if you did that with a horizontal oppy that would be friggin sweet.
Cons: A. I would want a torque converter - $$$$ B. I would want reverse and those gear boxes are typically rated at 7hp MAX and they are - $$$ C. I don't have the $$$ for this type of build.
Pro: A. I could step up my skill B. It would be super fun
Why not getting a seized motorcycle engine, U could pull the Engine parts and use the motorcycle engine gearbox, Belt drive into the Ingniton side of the Motorcycle engine, U use the motorcycle clutch, and from the stock motorcycle sprocket to the live axle. U have GEARS, Reliable Trans, Oppy, manul clutch,..